Sign in to follow this  
abrams_tank

So World Update 6 is what Sim Update 5 should have been?

2 hours ago, GSalden said:

But to call another flightsim Garbage ….🤔

Rhetorical Garbage all completely relative to context.   I bought 3 versions of P3D so clearly, at the time, I understood it was the best platform for me.  I spent gobs of money trying to make it what MSFS already is, for $119.  It never even came close despite the gobs of money.  To get the kind of pause-free, completely smooth animation, yes for flying the NGXu into KSFO-HD in Orbx NCA scenery with settings cranked anywhere near highest, completely unable to maintain the minimum 30.  Oh, I was used to dealing w/ less than ideal liquid smooth animation because for a very long time, stopping here and there to turn sliders down as the main thread and GPU started getting hammered.  If you wanted serious enhancement to the land-class scenery, you put with a bit of 'long frames' here and there coming into a busy airport, right on to outright inability to maintain 30.  So I learned far more important to me is liquid smooth animation everywhere for everything, except of course road traffic which always was herky jerky no matter what you did.  And really, the thing is, settings being higher don't really matter in the end because it's just a fake rendition of reality, and that's the real problem with it ultimately.  So relative to today with what we're already seeing in MSFS, P3D is rhetorical garbage to me.   From scenery, water behavior, sky coloration, etc it's all now become completely implausible, old and fake.  I do the odd flight in P3D so I don't forget how to do certain things and to maintain my career in FSCaptain.  But as I say it's dusk to dawn only when P3D really shines as what it does best:  be a mature cockpit simulator.  I'm of course only referring to my in depth experience up and into 4.5x, and it's of course only put forth as my opinion.

• Like 1

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

For me SU6 has been like night and day compared to the last few months of updates.

I finally have a beautiful sim again! Silky smooth panning @30 fps and a setting of ultra. Still loads to the menu a little slow, but I can live with that.

JRDbcZ7.png

VzJunQp.png

Jose

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

9 hours ago, abrams_tank said:

I mean, I don't really see the issue of SU5 being an X-Box update.  As PC users, we got a huge benefit from the boost in FPS in SU5.

Here’s the thing: FPS means nothing to me. Zilch. Zip. Nada. I couldn’t possibly care less about FPS. I never checked it once until I was in the SU5 beta and had to. I got a sim that was worse in absolutely every way but FPS. 

9 hours ago, abrams_tank said:

But now that there is a slider for the pre-cache terrain, I think it's water under the bridge

Nah. Not for me. Asobo flat-out lied to us with SU5. They said many times in many different ways that the XBox release would not negatively impact PC users, that they wouldn’t be dumbing down the graphics. They did everything they said they wouldn’t do. I for one will never trust another thing they say. 

Edited by mtr75
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, hanhamreds said:

Sure is, the old engine was never ready for VR. Unfortunately Asobo got bullied into implementing it by the vocal few, and they in turn got their fingers burnt - ha!

Let me know what frames you now get in VR before I waste my money 😂

What are you talking about?  The sim runs great in VR too.  Getting much better FPS with amazing visuals than I ever did with the other guys - esp once you loaded them up with addons in an attempt to look as good.

Bit I would hold off if I were you.  You might not be able to handle it…

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Just now, VFXSimmer said:

What are you talking about?  The sim runs great in VR too.  Getting much better FPS with amazing visuals than I ever did with the other guys - esp once you loaded them up with addons in an attempt to look as good.

+1

• Like 1

Rick Verhallen

i9-13900KF OC to 5.8 Ghz | 64 GIG- G.Skill 7200 RAM | Asus ROG Maximus z790 Hero Motherboard | Gigabyte  RTX 4090 OC |  47" Samsung 4K Monitor I HP Reverb G2 HMD I Varjo Aero HMD I  Windows 11

58 minutes ago, mtr75 said:

Here’s the thing: FPS means nothing to me. Zilch. Zip. Nada. I couldn’t possibly care less about FPS. I never checked it once until I was in the SU5 beta and had to. I got a sim that was worse in absolutely every way but FPS. 

Nah. Not for me. Asobo flat-out lied to us with SU5. They said many times in many different ways that the XBox release would not negatively impact PC users, that they wouldn’t be dumbing down the graphics. They did everything they said they wouldn’t do. I for one will never trust another thing they say. 

Dumbed-down graphics? You cannot be serious. The graphics are nothing short of astounding, and light years beyond any other sim. I am accustomed to seeing almost anything in the forums, but this must set some sort of record for absurdity.

• Like 5

Have you noticed that the trees draw distance has been downgraded by 50% (from 10nm to 5nm) with WU6. Just as it was fixed and “OK” with SU5, we are now back at stone age again.

Wow! not many times do I read a topic and sit here shaking my head in disbelief. Like I have done with this one.

Weather, never in 20 years have I even set up the weather for a flight, Live weather, thank you. To boo boo a sim that does live weather, so so well, so funny, only last night I did a test flight from KSAN to KSBA and I called KSBA ATC to be told Sorry its IFR only, I was in the Spitfire. What it looks fine here close to LA!!!, When I got there yep, low level fog all round the airport, I went round once as I saw the wind slowly blowing it away to land on 15L. Yer......a disgrace I would not waste my time setting up counless setting to set just what I did, visablity at around 100 yards at ground level....thank live weather for giving me amazing weather and just like IRL diffrent every time. Historical weather sometimes is nice in the winter to do a day light flight. But I could not care less about counless slider to set weather up.

As for P3D and FSX, thank you so much. Loved both. 

As for "dumbing down graphics" yer, well here are some from last night. What is flying all about? well for me immersion and IMO it does not get any better than this. PMDG NG and Fenix to come and then all we need is a good ATC addon. Job done....O...GSX.....Job Done.

Look at these "dumbing down graphics"  of LA. A disgrace.......What was the cost of the LA addon ( true earth)? O...nothing. Same for 90% of the world, A joy to see. All for the opening price! wow, what a gift.

Flight-Simulator-ru9l-Mw-AUSQ.png

Flight-Simulator-6pi-SSg-Lw3-E.png

Flight-Simulator-CEJdm7he-O7.png

Also I was lol when I did this flight, I bought the addon for P3D to have Orange county airport and one of the selling points where the two big builds to the north. Well from KSAN I flow right over that airport with not only them 2 building there but every building around was ofc there. Breathtaking.  

Not turning back, not for a good ATC, FSL or AS. No thank you. But thank you, it was the best at the time. Many years of enjoyment. MSFS & DCS for me now.

I could never use TrackIR with P3D it was terrable. TrackIR does need 40 to run really well. Well I Should have no probelems running the PMDG NG or Fenix into KLAX at 40 FPS and what you see above. Nothing will come even close. For me MSFS 2020 is a dream come true, never thought I would see what I see and FPS if I uncaped then in the above screenshots would be around 70-90 FPS. NG and Fenix at 40 FPS with Track IR, NP and the immersion here in LA or NY, London, Paris, Rome,...O the list is endless....

Edited by Nyxx
  • Like 2

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

On 9/8/2021 at 9:27 PM, cobalt said:

Dumbed-down graphics? You cannot be serious. The graphics are nothing short of astounding, and light years beyond any other sim. I am accustomed to seeing almost anything in the forums, but this must set some sort of record for absurdity.

The SU5 graphics were atrocious. Not that it really mattered given that the sim did nothing but crash for 6 weeks. 

Edited by mtr75

1 hour ago, mtr75 said:

The SU5 graphics were atrocious. Not that it really mattered given that the sim did nothing but crash for 6 weeks. 

This was your experience, and I am sorry to hear it. Mine was very different -- not uncommon in MSFS. But I do disagree with your earlier assertion that the graphics were "dumbed down". In fact it is the opposite.

• Like 2

It's heaven for me, which I never would have guessed.

Background: We used to live stone's throw from Yosemite. I never considered anyplace on Earth as scenic as that park, and we tried to backpack everything in the 100 hikes book, some were days long.

Soon after WU6 I changed my mind. The alpine region of Austria, Swiss, and a tiny part of Germany and France that borders is more scenic, and very much larger.

I had never bought any add-on airports in MSFS, FSX, nor FS9, instead buying planes and regional enhancements and utilities. That changed when I got a look at WU6. I jumped on the WU sale and bought 1 in airport in France, 2 in Germany, 3 in Switzerland, and 4 in Austria. All of them in or very near the Tirol mountain area.

The arrow III for low flights thru the passes, the turbo arrow is another universe as it has power to get you over the trouble. The C22j and the warbirds will let you see more sooner, but landings at speeds are tricky especially in the c22j jet, but I love its nice looking old radio panel. But airliners fly too high for me to see what I want to see.

So it all depends on what you happen to like.

• Like 1

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

On 9/16/2021 at 2:25 PM, cobalt said:

This was your experience, and I am sorry to hear it. Mine was very different -- not uncommon in MSFS. But I do disagree with your earlier assertion that the graphics were "dumbed down". In fact it is the opposite.

You’re absolutely correct that people have different experiences.I’m feeling quite bad for the many people having issues with WU 6 right now. WU6 is fantastic (after I did some tweaking), but there’s no way to argue that graphics weren’t dumbed down in SU5. The shimmering and popping scenery were just awful. And Asobo admitted it, along with the LOD changes. Then again it depends on what you were flying before. If you were on medium settings, sure, you may not notice. On Ultra since day 1, it was blatantly obvious. And it had to be done to accommodate XBox. Plus if it hadn’t been dumbed down there would be no reason for the graphics updates in WU6. 

In any event I’m quite happy with WU6. SU5 was just utterly atrocious. 

Edited by mtr75

Sorry, but after SU5 I had much improved performance and the same excellent graphics I had before. And I, too, run everything on Ultra. Therefore the statement that SU5 dumbed down the graphics, while true for some, was NOT true for everybody. Sweeping comments that are made without qualifications are often inaccurate. This is just one example.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, cobalt said:

Sorry, but after SU5 I had much improved performance and the same excellent graphics I had before. And I, too, run everything on Ultra. Therefore the statement that SU5 dumbed down the graphics, while true for some, was NOT true for everybody. Sweeping comments that are made without qualifications are often inaccurate. This is just one example.

You would've had reduced lod pop ins like EVERYBODY, that wasn't fixed until WU6, whether you like it or not please accept that there was dumbing down of the graphics - across the board.

Edited by MarcG

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

I did NOT see pop-ins, period. There was NO dumbing down of graphics for me, period. I am not denying your story; please do not try to tell me what I saw. Moreover, there were a number of others that also reported increased performance with no loss of graphics after SU5. Why some people think what THEY see has to be universal, I don't understand. But there is a word for this: arrogance.

• Like 1