Sign in to follow this  
OMillerJr

Abacus CoPilot and EZ-GPS

Guest Pntgrd

I have really been getting in to flight simming in a big way. I had dabbled a bit over the years but stayed mainly in race sims for the most part. But I have decided I have gotten too old to be competitive any more so I race sim less and less and now fly almost all my time now. And since this is the route I have started to follow I have been picking up things to enhance the experience. I had wanted a program that could do charts, airport and approach plates, and multi point planning and it seemed CoPilot filled the gap for this in FSX. I had read that you can also follow the plot on a map, like the default GPS, but after installing ProPilot I find that it does but in a separate window. Not wanting to split up my screen (I like the 16:10 view I get) I looked around for another answer. I found that Abacus also puts out an addon GPS unit, EZ-GPS 4, which has a nice route following map. I d/l'd the demo and installed it and it works great but it will only load flight plans made in FSX, not the plans made in CoPilot. I found that quite odd that they were not compatible with each other. So I ask here, has any one found a way to load a CoPilot plan in EZ-GPS4? They would be a great pair if it is possible.

I've purchased CoPilot and have been using it as as a subsitute for FSNavigator until it comes out. You don't have to use it in split screen as the instructions imply to have it follow your route. Start CoPilot first then start FS. Start FSX in windowed mode. {Always exit FSX in windowed mode and it will start up that way.) Switch to CoPilot and switch back and forth between maximized and window and pause a few seconds between switching. Check display/GPS options and both track and position should be checked. If they aren't checked click on both and that should do it. Once you get it displaying the position and track you can go back to FS and fly full screen or windowed and it will track and show position. For some reason FSX doesn't like you to switch applications very well but I've found that if you always exit FSX in windowed mode which makes it start up the same way it will switch applications without freezing although it's very slow doing so.Hope this helps.