Sign in to follow this  
Guest iwantmydc3

If I WERE to upgrade XP to Vista today.......

Guest FxF3

I got Vista coming from new egg in a day or so I was wondering about my memory its only 2gb will that be enough or should I have ordered more?I thought I would try to hold off from doing a major computer upgrade until around the end of this year. I set aside $400.00 for a new cpu and video card with the Vista OS thrown in. Don't want to have to add memory if I can get around it with this old 939 motherboard that has served me well.

You should be fine at 2GB. I haven't seen anything definitive yet that indicates any benefits above that.Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Guest iwantmydc3

>1. Would I have to delete FSX and start over again?>2. Would I have to save anything to a separate hard disk>(which I have)?>3. Would my Microsoft Office 2003 with Outlook (my mail>program)make the transition without difficulty?>4. I have an Epson 340 Printer and a Canon Canoscan 4210>scanner. I'm assuming these "typical" peripherals would work>well with VISTA.>5. My current system is below on my signature line....Ultimate>Vista is the way I'm relatively sure I can go! Right?---------------------------1.No.2.No. (But if one is faster than the other you might want to consider installing FS on it).3.Yes, but I would back up your .pst file(s) first.4. I don't know-things like printers are the one things that might be a problem. One would guess the Epson would be alright, but other things like scanners and cameras sometimes give heartaches with new verisons of Windows.>Of course, I do not expect "answers written in stone", because>I will have to visit peripheral sites to look for drivers.>However, I'm getting encouraged by some of the posts on this>forum that Vista is working pretty well with FSX, and NVIDIA>has upgraded their drivers to work with my Video cards and>Vista.>Usually, I'm the kind of guy who moves to new products on the>very day they're introduced, and (knock on wood!)I haven't>been burned in any significant way so far. I'm surprised that>I'm still running XP Media Center (came with my new Dell) so>long after the Vista debut.>I'm getting "itchy" now, and before I build FSX up anymore>with planes, scenery, and other addons, I thought that I'd>better make the switch...because I will eventually anyway.I'm getting "itchy" too, but I'm still going to wait a year, maybe two. My system should run Vista fine, I just don't like doing OS upgrades.>Microsoft's announcement of the upcoming patch specifically>says it will work well with Vista as well as XP. That was>another reason I decided to ask my fellow forum memebers for>their input. Never trust a Microsoft announcement. Remember, they said FSX will run with 64mb of video.

Guest iwantmydc3

Oh, and one more thing--you need to use the "ulitimate" edition for an "in place upgrade." the others require a "Fresh install."

I disagree with that last. If you buy the upgrade version of any edition, it is impossible to do a fresh install, you must have XP installed.And if you buy the retail version, you should still have the possibility to do an upgrade.However, I strongly advice against upgrading, as it will void your XP license key, and there is always the benefit of being able to go back to your old XP using dual boot.Jan

Guest macman4

I don't have FX installed yet. My ? is, can I do a clean install of vista on 1 hard drive and install FX ,and keep FS9 on the other hard drive running XP Pro. Would that be called a duel boot system,and would it work. Thanks, Bob

Hi StanLike others I upgraded from XP Home addition to Vista Ultimate.Not being puter literate I had my puter tech. do the upgrade.It installed over XP with no problems,which was on the day Microsoft switched to Vista I believe 30Jan.07.With XP I was receiving CTD but have not experienced any with Vista.I am very happy with the upgrade, getting great FPS, and everything appears to be working as advertised.Now if I could only navigate to DreamScene as an earlier simmer eluded to. LOL:)Good LuckKenny G.

Guest FxF3

Well an update for me I got my Vista and love it. It is amazing I only have the 32bit home prem. package. After reading so much on this boards and others I though Vista would implode my computer.:-). It did not. Then I thought it would at least take over my will power and perform some type of mind control over me. That also did not happen:P. LOL I have to say its the best OS I have every had.Yes it also made my FSX load and run faster. It really loads much faster then XP did.

>Jan,>Partition Magic won't work with SATA hard drives, at least>ver.8 that i have.>>I dual boot with Vista/XP. You can run fs9/FSX from Vista>after it's installed even if it's still on an XP partition.>Some have reported crossover problems. You will see FS9 and>FSX in the game window of Vista, along with Hearts, Hold-em>Poker etc., once you access the sim's from/with Vista.>When you access fs9/FSX on your XP partition using Vista it>does not want to import saved flights etc.>If you do a clean install and want to reformat or resize a>partition it can be done during install. If you do so, it will>insist on drivers (like XP's F6), you will find that Vista>chipset drivers will not work, at least with NVidia chipsets.>I found the same floppy's you used with XP/F6 install switch>for XP work fine.>Update to Vista drivers after install. I've used Partition Magic 7.0 to Partition a SATA drive with no problem. Craig ASUS A8N- nForce SLI Chipset SATA RAID Dual PCIe MOBOAMD ATHLON64 3500+ CPU w/ HT TechLG GWA-4161 DVD/CDSeagate ST3160811AS 160GB Barracuda 9 7200RPM 8MB SATA II 3Gb/s NCQSeagate ST3160811AS 250GB Barracuda 9 7200RPM 8MB SATA II 3Gb/s NCQEVGA 7950 GT KO PCIe 512mb nvodngov19147-[Guru3D.com] drivers SB Audigy 22G Corsair PC 3200 400MHZ Dual Channel DDR Super Alien 500W P/STrack IR3 w/vectorCH Yolk & RuddersFS Genesis Terrain MeshActive SkyRC4