Sign in to follow this  
Guest enave

Cookies

Man, it seems that every new site I go to wants to set at least 4 cookies. My firewall is set to alert me to this and I always deny the cookie. Four is too many cookies. It is neat how after 5 minutes of viewing a site, it will try to set a new cookie. The firewall catches it though.JimCYWG

I know. Chocolate chip are my fav.JimCYWG

Guest enave

What security do you think you're gaining by blocking cookies?hint: none (unless you and about 500 people are behind the same proxy or NAT)

depends on the cookie. Some help sites keep track of visits to other sites.This is especially true to cookies from advertising providers like Google.And that's where those multiple cookies are coming from, each block of Google ads plants its own cookie.As more and more sites are swamped with popup ads, popunder ads, ad-banners, etc. you get more and more foreign cookies that have nothing to do with the site you're visiting.As ads are starting to more and more be programmed to reload themselves (to "rotate" ads past the viewer) and each time that happens you get new cookies, you can indeed see the observed behaviour.Best is to set your browser to reject all 3rd party cookies, that takes care of the problem for you.

Guest enave

yes but the question was, what *additonal* security or privacy are you affording yourself by blocking cookies? Can't google just keep track of your IP address? For 99.9% of users that gives them the same information that the cookies give them.