Sign in to follow this  
davenicoll

reinstall

Hi Guys,

After a Windows 10 issue I had to reinstall it.

My MSFS 2020 folder was located away from the main drive so everything installed is still there.

Is there a way to reactivate it so I don't have to do a full reinstall?

If it is the steam version, then yes!  Add the location as a steam library (inside the steam program), and then verify files.

Not sure about the windows store version.  I have the store version myself located on a separate drive, so I would like to know also.

Edited by bobcat999

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

1 minute ago, davenicoll said:

Hi Guys,

After a Windows 10 issue I had to reinstall it.

My MSFS 2020 folder was located away from the main drive so everything installed is still there.

Is there a way to reactivate it so I don't have to do a full reinstall?

If you point to that Dir after the first launch of MSFS you can use it like before just give the installer the exakt same path and you good to go - saves a lot of installation time !

cheers 😉

• Like 3

My Rig : Intel I7-7820X 8 Core ( 16 Threads ) @ 4,0, ASUS Prime X299 A II,  64 GB 3600-17 Trident Z, 750W Corsair CX750 80+ Bronze,  MSI 8GB RTX 2080 Super Ventus XS OC, WD 4TB and WD 6TB 7200 HD,  Win10 V.21H2, in use 3x 4K monitors 2x32 Samsung 1x27 LG  3840x2160.

spacer.png

Thank you PM..

Just to be clear, it is the store version and in my account it says install now so I will press that but just point it to my original directory when it gives me the option..

Dave

1 hour ago, davenicoll said:

Thank you PM..

Just to be clear, it is the store version and in my account it says install now so I will press that but just point it to my original directory when it gives me the option..

Dave

Just to be clear, you probably will not get the option for the initial install. The option appears after the initial install during the first time you start MSFS, at the "Installation Manager" screen. That is where you want to point it to the original folder.

...jim

ASUS Prime Z790-E, Intel i9 13900K, 32Gb DDR5 Ram, Nvidia 3090 24Gb, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB and 1 TB, Samsung Odyssey G9 Ultrawide 49" G-SYNC Monitor.

Does not matter whether you are on steam or MS Store - both give you the option to select the install directory early on in the install process. Think you have to down a couple of gig of pure program without location choice first before you can then select the main install directory - will indeed save you a massive download.

CJ

And the installation path should be found in the bottom of the UserCfg.Opt file. The file is located in the LocalCache folder here:

C:\Users\insertyourusernamehere\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

Thanks guys,

Download it..downloads all but then I get error...4 times...and the above file Republic mentions is empty..

Not sure how to solve this..

Dave

4 hours ago, davenicoll said:

Not sure how to solve …. . 

The easy solution: Why not just delete the MSFS folder on your PC and re-install by downloading to a totally new directory such as D:\MSFS so there is a completely clean MSFS installation? Hit download and go to bed. In the morning you can be up and flying instead of still struggling to figure out this problem.

Unless your internet is slow or capped.

• Like 1

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor