Sign in to follow this  
abrams_tank

This is the best state MSFS has ever been in

3 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

I understand the Greelgothorp flightsim, available from BEM's incorporated (only available via streaming from Gliese 667Cc) has features MSFS can only dream of.

You need to take everything you read in the Hitchhiker's guide with a pinch of salt 😉

• Like 2

Ryzen 7800X3D | Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX MB | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | RTX 3080 GPU | Sound BlasterX AE-5 | Windows 11 Pro x64 | Virpil T-50 Throttle | T50 CM2 Grip + WarBRD | VKB T-rudder MK IV | Asus PG279Q 1440p | Valve Index VR | Samsung 980 Pro as system disk and Intel 665P SSD for games

2 minutes ago, mazex said:

You need to take everything you read in the Hitchhiker's guide with a pinch of salt 😉

I believe there are exactly 42 handcrafted airports in their sim

• Like 4

Smooth as silk regardless of the context with my old I7 4790K + GTX 1080 in 4k ...even with Offscreen Terrain Caching on ULTRA .The optimization that ASOBO has done is beyond my imagination! FS is going to be exeptional.

• Like 7

CORSAIR 4000 AIRFLOW (WHITE) / RYZEN 5800X3D / ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS / ARTIC LIQUID FREEZERII 240 / 32 GO DDR4 3200 KINGSTON FURY / MSI RTX4090 VENTUS 3X 24G OC / KINGSTON NV1 NVME 2 TO / BE QUIET PURE POWER 11FM  1000W 80PLUS GOLD / SAMSUNG NEO QLED 43" 4K.

I feel It will be at least another 4 years before this game settles down. Until then its gonna be a roller coaster ride of it working and looking amazing and then the next update wrecking it. So for those of us who are lucky now and have it working great - make the most of it before we see that Mandatory Update notice again 😄

3 hours ago, Shack95 said:

It's come a long way since its release (at least in terms of scenery in this area):

nSFtYVJ.jpg

Ml8rDeE.jpg

pMPNc7M.jpg

gDac97R.jpgcXhBDNe.jpg

iJcwIQC.jpg

The scary thing reading this on a mobile is that I had to zoom in on that last image to realize it's not MSFS but the real world... But we don't have trains yet naturally 😉 I grew up at the bottom of a lake with Fighter Pilot on the ZX Spectrum. I can tell you a screenshot from that game would never be mistaken as reality or vice versa, but I think I still have more hours in it than MSFS. I think it ran at 3-4 fps by the way... 🙂

spacer.png

Edited by mazex
Image from Fighter Pilot on Spectrum
  • Like 5

Ryzen 7800X3D | Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX MB | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | RTX 3080 GPU | Sound BlasterX AE-5 | Windows 11 Pro x64 | Virpil T-50 Throttle | T50 CM2 Grip + WarBRD | VKB T-rudder MK IV | Asus PG279Q 1440p | Valve Index VR | Samsung 980 Pro as system disk and Intel 665P SSD for games

47 minutes ago, filou said:

Smooth as silk regardless of the context with my old I7 4790K + GTX 1080 in 4k ...even with Offscreen Terrain Caching on ULTRA .

Could you post a screenshot of your settings? I have a GTX 1080 and a 6700k clocked @4.5ghz running in 4K and have mixed results depending on the scenario. 

1 hour ago, ThrottleUp said:

I feel It will be at least another 4 years before this game settles down. Until then its gonna be a roller coaster ride of it working and looking amazing and then the next update wrecking it. So for those of us who are lucky now and have it working great - make the most of it before we see that Mandatory Update notice again 😄

Let's see we're now at a grand todal of 1.09 years post release.  Every single update has brought something good to the picture, addressing some fundamental area, even the Xbox release which is always what it was going to be, while at the same time took some casualties along the way.  But the change has always been fundamentally a net positive--sometimes small, and sometimes very substantial.  Just contrast that with what you saw come out of Lockheed Martin in P3D:  I N C R E M E N T A L change of a few pieces of their core engine....thanks, that'll be another $200 (honest non-students).  It's been thru mandatory FREE updates that got us to where we are today in MSFS.  When you look at how effective this sim is today, that the core scenery engine has a level of quality that it has, the default planes, even the immature weather/lighting development the fact that we're hearing PMDG is not that far off from their second release, and the fact that the bugs that plague the current version are just that, bugs, not wholesale rewrites.  4+ years seems like a giant miscalculation.   If their current pace of development proceeds, 1.5y seems reasonable.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

6 hours ago, BIGSKY said:

Except for the 49 Payware airports that I stupidly purchased on the marketplace,never again.....

Edit,they don't work...

Hi

I agree, its such a shame the marketplace is letting the sim down

I totally enjoy the sim,

I feel disappointed by the add-on scenery I bought, through the marketplace that does not work due to MS not posting the patches that the developers have supplied them with to make them comparable with recent versions on the sim.

Hopefully, soon this will be sorted?

Best wishes

Bob

If these forums would let me, I'd swear in order to voice my pleasure with this update, lol.  After SU5, I had to shelve this because the culling was killing me.  Now no culling, everything on ultra, smooth as butter.

Asobo catches a lot of grief when things go south, so in turn they should be commended when things go this well.  Absolutely loving this title again.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, EGLD said:

X-Plane still does the "feeling" of being in the aircraft better, the way the Toliss A319 wobbles and rolls down the taxiway just like a real aircraft - it still has a really great feeling of accurate physics, but maybe MSFS will grow on me more. MSFS is miles ahead of P3D in that respect, but I don't know, I still feel detached from the aircraft and that X-Plane does this better 

That's a toliss thing and not an xplane thing. I can name off 30 add ons in Xplane that have worse ground handling than the stock msfs planes (and we all know the stock ground handling on alot of the default planes are trash). Its up to the developers to take advantage and make the add on's do things. Has nothing to to do with Xplane vs msfs vs p3d. At the end of the day its all in the skill of the dev no matter the platform.

Edited by CaptainNick
  • Like 5

Nick Silver

http://www.youtube.com/user/socalf1fan

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb ddr4 3200mhz ram, RTX 3080 FE, HP Reverb G2 v2, 4K Tv Monitor

30 minutes ago, Noel said:

4+ years seems like a giant miscalculation.   If their current pace of development proceeds, 1.5y seems reasonable.

I will be the first one to say that I hope Im totally wrong and that you are right! 

I just worry and I will never be comfortable with the fact that there are not two dev streams - one for XB one for PC. I know logistically and financially this is just not possible and I just have to get used to it. 

SU5 spoilt some things for me (bleached lighting, trees etc) but also bought it with great performance gains. So I cant say its all bad. 

But the best approach I feel is for gamers like me to stop stressing about these monthly updates. They will keep coming. They will fix some stuff and break some stuff  - which the next one will address. Nothing I can do about it.

The game still looks amazing and I must tell myself that I struggled to run FSX on this old machine but this state of the art MSFS runs like a dream on the same machine! 

3 hours ago, EGLD said:

X-Plane still does the "feeling" of being in the aircraft better,

I’ll have to politely disagree. Unless something has recently changed (I haven’t used X-Plane for about 4 or 5 years), one of the things I disliked about X-Plane was the unrealistic and almost cartoonish flight models. When compared to FSX or P3D, they were ridiculously bad.

Again, maybe something has changed in more recent versions/updates, but that was case, on top of the empty and generic world you were flying over. And I have close to 3,000 hours in ASEL in the last 30 years, so I think I have a decent understanding of how real aircraft fly. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Lets not start with XP vs FS2020, what is the point. XPlane has come a long way too, some will prefer XP most others MSFS2020, to each his own.

Edited by CarlosF
  • Like 5

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

14 hours ago, ThrottleUp said:

I just worry and I will never be comfortable with the fact that there are not two dev streams - one for XB one for PC. I know logistically and financially this is just not possible and I just have to get used to it. 

My sense is you can def relax on this particular issue.   XBox uses a Win 10 variant OS, and already, here exactly less than a year out w/ SU5 release, they had adapted MSFS to run on both platforms.  Of course, w/ issues but they really took care of the basic issues required to have this run on both platforms.  Of course again, there is more tuning to do.  Out of their hat they pulled what most PC users needed after SU5, which was the pre-cache slider so as to let those with more VRAM/SysRAM use some of those resources mroe completely.  And it absolutely shows.  Their first goal was to make it basically work w/ Xbox's 16Gb total RAM limit, and they did.   Prior to WU6 almost always I would see the sum total of VRAM + SysRAM right at about 14-15Gb.  Right now I'm flying over Salburg and total of all RAM is at 21.5Gb, and in busy areas this now will go much higher though in the most intense of environments I'll see VRAM at a maximum ever of 10.3Gb--but that's probably just right to give a little room for the DX-12 port.

And importantly, I've always seen Xbox as the honey to catch some more bees with:  you'll notice now it's those with the highest end hardware who will have the best total experiencel.  So some of those Xbox users will morph into PC users and feed that stream and become long term flight sim users like most of the folks here.  It's a win win scenario if I've ever seen one.

15 hours ago, ThrottleUp said:

SU5 spoilt some things for me (bleached lighting, trees etc) but also bought it with great performance gains. So I cant say its all bad. 

I agree here, though it seems to have improved since the hot fixes post SU5.  There will be some substantial improvements in the weather engine--they're just not quite there yet as the current condition is sufficient to tie them over until it is reprioritized.

15 hours ago, ThrottleUp said:

But the best approach I feel is for gamers like me to stop stressing about these monthly updates. They will keep coming. They will fix some stuff and break some stuff  - which the next one will address. Nothing I can do about it.

Words of wisdom and context for sure.  Bottom line:  MS/A knows full well the state of everything more or less and all indicators point to continued dedication to bringing us a flight simulator beyond historical compare.

• Like 3

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Yesterday was a unique day. For a while threads like this filled the forum and the air was filled with positivity. The birds where singing and even the IRL weather in Sweden was good!

Today everything is back to normal. Trees are awful, MSFS clouds are pathetic and the textures are a blurry mess. Just wait until later tonight when the friday stiffies have been poured! 🙂

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1