Sign in to follow this  
ChaoticBeauty

September 9th, 2021 - Development Update

SEPTEMBER 9TH, 2021 DEVELOPMENT UPDATE

Posted by: Microsoft Flight Simulator Team

Plane coming in for final approach during sunset

Screenshot by Quaarli

Thank you to everyone who has downloaded World Update VI and provided feedback in the forums, Zendesk, and social media. You, the community, help shape Microsoft Flight Simulator day by day and we are grateful to have such a great mix of perspectives, backgrounds, and voices. There are some bugs discovered this week from the recent update and we plan on releasing a hotfix in the coming week. It will include a fix for the night lighting Render Scale, Offscreen Terrain PreCaching on VR menus, minor world/water mask clean-up, and a few more items. Full patch notes will be posted with the update.

We announced the delay of both our live Dev Q&A and aircraft release (Junkers JU-52) the other day but are happy to share that the new release date for the Junkers JU-52 is September 28th. We are still working on the postponed date for our live Dev Q&A and will provide an update as soon as possible.

Below you’ll find a new Development Roadmap updated through November. With Maverick: Top Gun now slated for next May, we re-evaluated the next few months and plan on having two major updates: Sim Update VI and Sim Update VII/Reno Air Races. 

Enjoy this Development Update and have a great weekend!

– The MSFS team

Smooth-Development-Banner-GIF.gif

DEVELOPMENT ROADMAP

Click here for the web-friendly version.

Feedback Snapshot

FEEDBACK SNAPSHOT

To learn more about Accessibility in Microsoft Flight Simulator, click here. We will return to normal weekly Feedback Snapshot updates next week, in the meantime, click here for last week’s Feedback Snapshot.

VIRTUAL REALITY FEEDBACK SNAPSHOT

We are excited to share new updates to the VR Snapshot. We plan on closing threads marked as ‘duplicate’ and ‘unable to reproduce’ next week, but will evaluate feedback in them over the next few days before doing so. If you would like to help us with issues that we are unable to reproduce at this time, we invite you to help us by sending in more details in the appropriate threads so we can take a look.

Virtual reality top bug items

Virtual reality top wishlist items

COMMUNITY TRIAGE UPDATE

This section details any updates we are able to share on popular issues that have been discovered by the community and either logged for a future fix or found to have a workaround until fixed. This is not an exhaustive list; just items we would like to share today:

• Night lighting/Render Scale Broken: A setting less than 100 will cause no lights to appear, and a setting greater than 100 will cause the lights to float. 
    • Workaround: Set your render scale to 100 (PC only). This will be resolved in the upcoming hotfix.
  • No “Offscreen Terrain Precaching” option available in the VR Menu.
    • This will be resolved in the upcoming hotfix.
  • Some users are receiving the Safe Mode pop up when launching the sim despite not having a crash.
    • This will be resolved in the upcoming hotfix.
  • Elevator Trim Sensitivity and Trim Axis: When using the mouse on the trim wheel on the C172 G1000, the trim wheel is too sensitive.
    • This is currently being fixed for a target release of Sim Update 6.
  • Fixed the ENG 1 and the Crank/ Mode norm/ IGN/Start buttons on the Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant Airbus edition – With this update, be sure to remove Toggle Engine X Fuel valve from your mapping if using a custom profile in order for ENG 1 switch is not working properly.

SDK UPDATE

• General:
    • We are preparing the next live SDK Q&A session and will be happy to share the theme for this one soon, so stay tuned!
    • You discovered the Safe Boot mode on the last version. We made a little change to prevent it from being enabled if a crash happens when you close the game.
  • DevMode:
    • We updated and fixed the windsocks sample provided with the SDK.
    • In our Wizards, we fixed the custom asset group template instantiation path.
    • We fixed the VFX template.
    • In the Scenery Editor:
      • We continue to investigate the disappearing jetway issue, as well as the pink aprons that may occur on some airports.
      • We are testing a new version with opaque windows for the Scenery & Material editors.

3RD PARTY UPDATE

As of 09/07, we have now approved 215 (+0) third parties into the in-sim marketplace and – so far 115 (+0) have released 528 products on PC (+8) and 80 on Xbox (+7).

• In total, 1,303 products (+26) have already been released in 3rd party stores and the in-sim marketplace. Beyond that, another 363 products (+0) from 3rd party developers are in production (229 announced, 134 unannounced). In total, over 1,666 3rd party products (+26) are either released or are in development.
  • Airports:
    • 1052 airports (+19) are either released or are in various stages of development.
    • 835 airports (+19) have been released on the platform so far in various stores.
    • 431 airports (+5) have been released in the in-sim marketplace.
    • 106 airports (+0) beyond the released airports have been announced.
    • 111 airports (+0) are not announced, but the dev let us know that an airport is in production.
  • Aircraft:
    • 198 aircraft (+3) are either released or are in various stages of development.
    • 66 aircraft (+3) have been released on the platform so far in various stores.
    • 39 aircraft (+2) have been released in the in-sim marketplace.
    • 109 aircraft (+0) beyond the released aircraft have been announced.
    • 23 aircraft (+0) are not announced, but the dev let us know that an aircraft is in production.
  • Scenery:
    • 375 sceneries (+4) are either released or are in various stages of development.
    • 361 sceneries (+4) have been released on the platform so far in various stores.
    • 36 sceneries (+1) have been released in the in-sim marketplace.
    • 14 sceneries (+0) beyond the released scenery have been announced.
  • Mission Packs:
    • 40 mission packs (+0) are either released or are in various stages of development.
    • 40 mission packs (+0) have been released on the platform so far in various stores.
    • 4 mission packs (+0) have been released in the in-sim marketplace.
    • 0 mission packs (+0) beyond the released missions have been announced.

MARKETPLACE UPDATES

There are 9 new products (2 on PC, 7 on Xbox), and 14 updated products (11 on PC, 3 on Xbox) in the Marketplace today.

9 NEW PRODUCTS: 2 PC, 7 XBOX

thumbnail_image001-300x246.png

Already on PC Xbox

New on PC Xbox

thumbnail_image004-1-300x246.png

Already on PC Xbox

New on PC Xbox

thumbnail_image005-300x246.png

Already on PC Xbox

New on PC Xbox

thumbnail_image006-1-300x246.png

Already on PC Xbox

New on PC Xbox

thumbnail_image007-300x245.png

Already on PC Xbox

New on PC Xbox

thumbnail_image008-1-300x249.png

Already on PC Xbox

New on PC Xbox

thumbnail_image009-1-300x246.png

Already on PC Xbox

New on PC Xbox

thumbnail_image010-1-300x246.png

Already on PC Xbox

New on PC Xbox

14 UPDATED PRODUCTS: 11 PC, 3 XBOX

thumbnail_image011-300x246.png

Available on PC  Xbox

Updated on PC Xbox

thumbnail_image012-300x246.png

Available on PC Xbox

Updated on PC Xbox

thumbnail_image004-1-300x246.png

Available on PC  Xbox

Updated on PC Xbox

thumbnail_image006-1-300x246.png

Available on PC  Xbox

Updated on PC Xbox

thumbnail_image013-300x247.png

Available on PC Xbox

Updated on PC Xbox

thumbnail_image014-300x245.png

Available on PC  Xbox

Updated on PC Xbox

thumbnail_image015-300x245.png

Available on PC Xbox

Updated on PC Xbox

thumbnail_image016-300x246.png

Available on PC  Xbox

Updated on PC Xbox

thumbnail_image008-1-300x249.png

Available on PC  Xbox

Updated on PC Xbox

thumbnail_image009-1-300x246.png

Available on PC  Xbox

Updated on PC Xbox

thumbnail_image010-1-300x246.png

Available on PC  Xbox

Updated on PC Xbox

banner-1.svg

TWITCH UPDATE

We stream weekly on Twitch.tv/MSFSOfficial!

Tomorrow, join us for our final Anniversary Week stream with TwoToneMurphy and the Thunderflys at 1900z. More details here.

COMMUNITY VIDEO

YouTuber Cinematic Flight showcases Vienna, the beautiful capital city of Austria, in this stunning 4K60FPS video. Microsoft Flight Simulator’s rendition of Vienna saw significant improvements with the recently released World Update VI, including the addition of photogrammetry and several new hand-crafted points of interest. Cinematic Flight uses an Edgley Optica (available from the MSFS Marketplace by 3rd Party Developer Orbx) in this video, the perfect plane for low and slow aerial sightseeing.

FEATURED FREEWARE MOD

Did you see the viral video of Red Bull stunt pilot Dario Costa flying through a tunnel in Turkey earlier this week? Now you can attempt an even harder challenge in Microsoft Flight Simulator courtesy of modder Photosbykev. In this freeware addon, test your precision flying while traversing through a 7.5 kilometer long rail tunnel in Mexico. Good luck!

Cockpit of Edgley Optica

SCREENSHOT CHALLENGE

You can now submit your screenshot via Twitter with #MSFSchallenge or the Weekly Forum Post! This week’s screenshot challenge: Cockpits.

This past week our Screenshot Challenge was Final Approach! Here are our runner ups this week:

CrazyGames_2_.jpg

Screenshot by CrazyGames

MartinFromCH.jpeg

Screenshot by MartinFromCH

smalinj.jpg

Screenshot by smalinj

elliotprtr.jpg

Screenshot by elliotprtr

Paddock720-scaled.jpeg

Screenshot by Paddock720

Parorng.jpeg

Screenshot by Parorng

MATSC133.jpeg

Screenshot by MATSC133

canuck695.jpeg

Screenshot by canuck695

WrithemTwine-scaled.jpeg

Screenshot by WrithemTwine

Maniek87PL-1-scaled.jpeg

Screenshot by Maniek87PL

NEXT DEVELOPMENT UPDATE BLOG – September 16th, 2021

Sincerely,

Microsoft Flight Simulator Team

Edited by ChaoticBeauty
  • Like 15

Thanks @ChaoticBeauty 👍. I do like the last screenshot from Maniek87PL - very creative. Noticed London Landmarks has been updated, so hopefully back working now from the Marketplace 🤞

Also good some of the anoying issues in this patch are getting a hotfix. The patch is stable for me though and performance is good.

Edited by dtrjones
  • Like 1

Well Ill be !!

Acknowledgement of bugs ?

A word not allowed hot fix in a week?

Who are these people ? LOL

• Like 7

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

So the G1000 NXi with WT integration into the "official" development process has overcome numerous obstacles and is progressing toward realism.  But what about opening a similar door to GNS and GTN development?  Please do not dive bomb me. I see there are 3rd party progressing efforts and I greatly respect those. But they do not appear to be "in the fold" so to speak.  Appears to still be a combination of NIFS and SDK issues.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

2 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

No more world updates in the foreseeable now? 

I was wondering the same thing.  I think they accidentally left it off or maybe they're still deciding where or how to fit in.

• Like 1

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

5 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

No more world updates in the foreseeable now? 

Really glad about this. Sim updates > world updates for me. Fixing and improving the sim should be their topmost priority now. We've had enough of the eye candy. Let's get down to business now.

Edited by Baber20
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 2

Baber

My Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/HDOnlive

5 minutes ago, Baber20 said:

Really glad about this. Fixing and improving the sim should be their topmost priority now. We've had enough of the eye candy. Let's get down to business now.

Exactly. I was glad to see that the next two updates are Sim Updates. The graphics and performance are really good right now.

Laser focus from the team on core functionality and then the teams that work on World updates can continue on that without any short deadlines that requires time for testing teams and senior developers.

Edited by espent
  • Upvote 1

// 5800X3D // RTX 3090 // 64GB RAM // HP REVERB G2 //

I think bringing Sim Update 7 forward is likely a one-time thing just because it coincides with the Reno Air Races pack. It could mean that we will be getting two World Updates in a row after that, and I believe they've already confirmed six World Updates for 2022 which means the update schedule should remain similar.

I am really happy they didn't completely forget us VR users. Plus, I like they touch at least upon a few quick nuisances.

The roadmap looks a bit thinned out, though.

Kind regards, Michael 

• Like 3

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

All I'm seeing is VR, VR, VR.  So big goofy hangars, ugly blocky high clouds, runway light issues, and traffic has all kind of fallen to the wayside for XBox and VR issues... sounds about right.

• Like 1

I wonder if the SU for November is meant to be a world update?  nvm

Edited by Jeff Nielsen

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

Yeah, the next 2 updates are Sim Updates, interesting. I'm guessing because of Reno as others have said.