Sign in to follow this  
dresoccer4

Island Hopping Addon Questions

Hey there. I'm an XP user but am wanting to try out MSFS2020 and get an addon for some island hopping. I'm looking at both the BN-2 and EMB-110 for this and wanted to get some opinions from folks to see which one (if either) is the best product for some island hopping and overall MSFS experimentation.

EMB-110: Just Flight - NextGen Simulations Bandeirante MSFS

BN-2: BlackBox Simulation :: BN2 Islander

Thanks for feedback! PS I have both these aircraft for XP 😄 

I have them both I'd probably use the BN-2 more for island hopping.  

• Like 1

Since this is your first time with MSFS I would recommend you go with the default C208 with the Garmin NXi.  You can grab the free garmin on the msfs marketplace, and it’s the best avionics package by far as of right now.  You can also use one of the two free C208 mods to improve the aircraft.  

Gary

i9-13900K, Asus RTX 4080, Asus Z790 Plus Wi-Fi, 32 GB Ram, Seasonic GX-1000W, LG C1 48” OLED 4K monitor, Quest 3 VR

If you want to go payware, I'd definitely suggest the BN-2. The EMB-110 has a lot of potential but has too many issues right now and is taking forever to be fixed/updated. The BN-2 is no TorqueSim product but it is pretty good all around!

• Like 1

Former Child, Current Adult

5 minutes ago, liamp51 said:

If you want to go payware, I'd definitely suggest the BN-2. The EMB-110 has a lot of potential but has too many issues right now and is taking forever to be fixed/updated. The BN-2 is no TorqueSim product but it is pretty good all around!

Interesting info. I have been flying the Torquesim BN-2 a lot recently in XP. What makes this one worse?

49 minutes ago, Todd2 said:

I have them both I'd probably use the BN-2 more for island hopping.  

you have them both, great! which one has better textures/handling? those are the two most important things for me in MSFS2020

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dresoccer4 said:

Interesting info. I have been flying the Torquesim BN-2 a lot recently in XP. What makes this one worse?

Mostly just that the texturing/modeling isn't up to what I consider the new standard for MSFS. I guess in comparison to the TorqueSim version it might be more or less on-par, however. The sounds and flight modeling are excellent though! BBS is very timely with updates and the aircraft has improved immensely since release. 

• Like 1

Former Child, Current Adult

1 hour ago, dresoccer4 said:

you have them both, great! which one has better textures/handling? those are the two most important things for me in MSFS2020

I like both of them equally.  I think the BN-2 has been updated more recently.  I think they are both good aircraft I fly the BN-2 more often but I think I'll take the Bandeirante out later this evening.  

One thing you could do is use the search function on flightsim.to and check out the liveries available for both aircraft.  Which one do you think you'd use more?  You'll find that MSFS is great for island hopping but also great for bush flying and just flying from point A to point B and checking out the scenery.

2 hours ago, Gilandred said:

Since this is your first time with MSFS I would recommend you go with the default C208 with the Garmin NXi.

Fully agree!  100%  And he would have a host of liveries to choose from on TO, several of them Caribbean specific!

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I just bought the BBS Islander tonight and I'd say the flight model is rather good. The textures are somewhat limited and the model itself is in need of some work. The good thing is that BBS constantly update this aircraft. The marketplace has v1.3.4 while the website shows v1.3.2 as the latest. I have no idea what the difference is.

I did a half dozen circuits (in VR) at TKPK and had a great time, as the plane behaved quite well, no surprises. If BBS continues updating the Islander, I think they'll sell a lot of them.

There is also the JPLogistics Cessna 152 mod that is incredibly good. The Justflight Piper Arrows and their Warrior are outstanding, rave reviews everywhere.

Anyways, have fun discovering.

• Like 1

The JF pipers are great for random exploring though a wee bit limited in passenger and payload if you are wanting aircraft for a career in one of the virtual economies. If you are just popping about landing at random spots though a Piper is a reasonable option.

Note that the Simworks much discussed Quest Kodiak is on the cards shortly.

In terms of default turbo props the Caravan and the TBM are both capable of landing on smaller runways though they are not exactly bush planes.

For bush planes the default and modded cubs are excellent and there is also the Asobo Husky to consider.

The Goose and the Widgeon are good options for landing on water.

• Like 1