Sign in to follow this  
him225

Cant seem to change actual monitor refresh rate

Using the U2417h monitor which has native refresh rate of 60hz, I am trying to run it at 48hz by creating a custom resolution in the nvidia control panel. The other refresh rates available by default are 50 and 24. The monitor is able to run at rate down to 20hz as is also readable in its OSD status, however the issue is in neither of those refresh rates it produce smooth motion on the online UFO refresh rate motion test. The smooth motion only happens at like 30 and 60hz, other than those refresh rates it gives motion stutter problem as if the actual monitor is still running at 60hz. How does the custom refresh rate work, is it a software only thing or does this monitor not support any other refresh rate than 60hz?

Just because a monitor can run at 50 or 24 doesn’t mean they’ll run at any frequency between them.

I’d encourage you to try 30Hz with VSync enabled. That gives the smoothest result in my opinion.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Interestingly the monitor doesn't seem to be running even at the stock rates of 50 and 24hz either, giving the same frame sync issue which I have been trying to mention. I do run at 30hz but with the addon aircraft and airports that I fly the system is able to manage on an average fps in the mid 20s only so thought I would give 48hz a shot. In addition I wanted to avoid stuttering in the 24 fps movies as well as turn up some more eye candy in games by playing them at 48fps than 60 as I find it fluid enough than always running at 60 which it drops below sometimes.

@him225, have you installed the driver for your monitor? That will give you a list of compatible refresh rates and resolutions.

If your computer cannot achieve 30fps setting the refresh rate higher won’t solve anything.

Keep to 30Hz and lower your scenery complexity to help get to 30fps. You’re demanding more from flight sim than your computer is capable of delivering.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather