Sign in to follow this  
Matchstick

NEW RELEASE - Vought F8E Crusader from Roland Laborie

Just spotted that there's a new MSFS jet up on SimMarket - this time a model of the Vought F-8E Crusader (a 50/60/70s US Navy Fighter known as the last of the Gunfighters and brother to the A7 Corsair ground attack aircraft)

Comes with 5 liveries (3 US, 2 French), both Air to Air and Air to Ground weapons and costs 29€ before tax.

Bit rich for me to take a speculative punt on but I'll be interested to see reviews of it down the line.

https://secure.simmarket.com/roland-laborie-vought-crusader-f8-e-msfs.phtml

Edited by Matchstick
  • Like 2

Love the F8 and it's a nice-looking model but I wonder about the flight modelling - looks like it has the same drastic pitch instability on final approach as some other aircraft I've seen.  If my aircraft was behaving this way I'd definitely abort the landing.... or am I over-reacting?

• Like 1

"That's what" - She

For a good time, download my repaints for the RealAir Scout/Citabria/Decathlon in the AvSim library by clicking here!

I know the F8 is supposed to have been an real handful on approach and aparently got nicknamed the "ensign eliminator" in it's early days so I really don't know what would be realistic (esp if they've modelled the variable incidence wing)

Edited by Matchstick

Does the developer have a good rep in general? 

It's very definitely something of interest to me but the price is at the top end of blind buys. 

Landing on Carrier, 😄 then that on speed AOA is a joke. You cannot pitch/pogo up and down like that and stay on speed AOA, lol. Good luck catching a wire or even being at the right AOA. It shows the green AOA but...come on!!

Even on land that pitching is bad unless the guy was out of trim. Its power for VS. Trim to on speed AOA then only use power for VS. You should be able to take your hand of the stick to land apart from small roll's.

The aircraft looks nice, not sure what the cockpit is like IRL but would like to see a lot more wear on an old plane like that. Hopefully its a lot more like the real thing than that other "thing" that came out.

Edited by Nyxx
  • Like 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

27 minutes ago, superspud said:

Does the developer have a good rep in general? 

It's very definitely something of interest to me but the price is at the top end of blind buys. 

The dev looks to have a number of P3D v4 releases (Including a previous version of the Crusader) but a google isn't turning up anything meaningful in terms of reviews of them.

The pitch oscillations added to the pilot in the videos seemingly unable to maintain, or sometimes even find, the runway centerline do not inspire a whole lot of confidence.

3 hours ago, Stoopy said:

Love the F8 and it's a nice-looking model but I wonder about the flight modelling - looks like it has the same drastic pitch instability on final approach as some other aircraft I've seen.  If my aircraft was behaving this way I'd definitely abort the landing.... or am I over-reacting?

Your example honestly looks more like the pilot forgot to trim the plane and is just pulling up in intervals to maintain some sort of glide... Would not blame this on the aircraft before seeing someone who knows how to trim a plane having the same issue 😛 .

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Prpn said:

Your example honestly looks more like the pilot forgot to trim the plane and is just pulling up in intervals to maintain some sort of glide... Would not blame this on the aircraft before seeing someone who knows how to trim a plane having the same issue 😛 .

It seems that the pilot is the developer...

There is another video on YT with a takeoff under the rain which is a bit strange too.

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Another one of those aircraft I really like and have for P3D, but this one doesn't quite look right to me. Can't put my finger on it but . . . And certainly not at that price. Halve that and I'd consider it.

Ryzen 9 7900X, Corsair H150 AIO cooler, 64 Gb DDR5, Asus X670E Hero m/b, 3090ti, 13Tb NVMe, 8Tb SSD, 16Tb HD, 55" Philips 4k HDR monitor, EVGA 1600w ps, all in Corsair 7000D airflow case.

Considering that the PMDG DC-6 was about nine quid more than this Crusader costs, I'd say this thing was a bit on the pricey side for what it is. For that kind of money I'd want it to be more than a mere lookalike. I might take a chance on it and review it. Maybe.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

There will be many great aircraft coming over the next 6 months. My hangar only has room for 5 star examples. 

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro