Sign in to follow this  
cklink

Increasing the Texture Resolution distance to reduce blurs"

How do we (or even can we) adjust the LOD/Resolution rings ? I want to push the hi res textures out further, so the real blurry stuff is way farther out. Performance headroom I have lots of in the mountains and bush flying. (edit - this not classic blurries topic due to hdw loading)We used to tweak (sort of)TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUSTERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUSBut I think that that has been replaced with only one global scenery radius thus:LOD_RADIUS=4.500000I changed it to 5 and FSX hung at 72%. I guess thats one slider we can't adjust with "future hardware". LOLBut seriously I want to push out the range the textures drop off out further. I really notice it bush flying, as mountians only 5 miles from you are a blurry, then they "step" in resolution as you get closer. I notice it on urban textures, but its not as obvious.Masking it with lots of AA or AF doenst change the fact the resolution drops, and by the frame rates in the bush I could easily enjoy clearer textures at greater distances.I really wish ACES would provide (in SDK maybe) a complete list of present and available parameters and thier functions within the cfg file. At least for the "Terrain and Graphics" section. That that sure would be helpful, as example I still don't know for sure what the max texture bandwidth is - is it still 400? I'm using it but get no differnce from 200, so maybe it defaults it to a new max of 160?Anyways, the first pic I circled what I mean (both pics have been compressed to minimize the files sizes so they may not be that clear). The second picture is the "pattern" I see going from blurry to 1M resolution. Can we increase this radius, pushing the 1M/2M/5M (or whatever step it is) out ?Maybe there ARE some sort of cmd parameters like:Autogen_default_radius (probally already like the max cell thing)Autogen_extended_radius (maybe we could use this to reduce the amount of autogen popping)Texture_Radius_miniumum (the radius of you Texture resolution slider)Ideas ?ThanksGaretthttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/167870.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/167871.jpg

Guest chinga

>Is this just my machine specific?Nah...i get it too. Not all that often but it does happen. Seems to coincide with hard drive activity. I have intel duo clocked to 3.8 and a 512 mb vid card, 2 gigs pc-8500 and still get those small patches of blurry once in a while. Tried all the tweaks with no success. Seems to happen way less often if a start the game...shut it down...and start again. Everything loads faster..including terrain.

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated.Those shots are slew pics, left to stabilize to try and seperate this from being a system catch up issue. If I move 1/2 mile, the rings move with me. They are always present - and at that distance from the A/C.I don't know if its just the way the display engine works, or if it may be a tweakable parameter?Just for ref, settings in the pics are:FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.45TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=1800TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=900LOD_RADIUS=4.500000LOD_MIN_RADIUS=2.000000 (just trying stuff)MESH_COMPLEXITY=90MESH_RESOLUTION=22TEXTURE_RESOLUTION=26AUTOGEN_DENSITY=3DETAIL_TEXTURE=1WATER_EFFECTS=4SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED=1TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=2048 (same deal)NUM_LIGHTS=8AIRCRAFT_SHADOWS=1AIRCRAFT_REFLECTIONS=1COCKPIT_HIGH_LOD=1EFFECTS_QUALITY=2TEXTURE_QUALITY=3I even increased the Texture res to max, thinking that maybe worked as a multiplier - so the outer ring would be at say 1M. Nope.ThanksGarett

Hello, I have the same problem on mine...which (obviously) worsens with more autogen that I have. And I have my fiber frame at a lower value, so my CPU is working even less than yours to produce sharp textures.One thing I do find that if I lock my FPS I get sharper textures farther out...do you lock Garett?FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.27TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=200SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED=1TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024NUM_LIGHTS=8AIRCRAFT_SHADOWS=1AIRCRAFT_REFLECTIONS=1COCKPIT_HIGH_LOD=1LANDING_LIGHTS=1AC_SELF_SHADOW=0EFFECTS_QUALITY=2GROUND_SHADOWS=0TEXTURE_QUALITY=3IMAGE_QUALITY=0See_Self=1Text_Scroll=1LOD_RADIUS=4.500000MESH_COMPLEXITY=100MESH_RESOLUTION=20TEXTURE_RESOLUTION=25AUTOGEN_DENSITY=3DETAIL_TEXTURE=1WATER_EFFECTS=4TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=2500TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=3000I don't use the Bufferpools as of now, but I was, have you tried:BufferPools (add the brackets)PoolSize=2500000 Have you turned off autogen with locked FPS just to test it and see if it helps?Also I found this review of TweakFS I think its called:http://www.flightsim.com/cgi/kds?$=main/review/tweakfs.htmAnd heres the product link:http://www.fspilotshop.com/product_info.ph...roducts_id=1089Maybe it would help?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Thanks Ryan I still think its part of the display engine. There's no way we could run 1M textures all the way out to 20miles, (even photoscenery I assume) so something has to tell the engine to display res for so far, then read only this much of it, etc etc. I just notice it more with some textures more than others (like the ones shown). But its almost like MIP levels or something. (tried the inputing FS9 variable and everything came grinding down) The one thing I did notice, is that changeing the texture resolution slider only changes the area directly under the AC, and seemingly has no impact of the texture resolution rings outside of that. LOD_Radius just makes the whole area smaller.Just a side note, man you got your autogen levels cranked up. Setting that high really bog me down. I'm at 2000/1000, and running a reduced autogen_descriptions spb. And yes I have FPS locked at 30, but I just did that in the screenies to show how much headroom I had. Buffer pools anything doesn't help me, better perfromance without it.But thanks for the ideas, ;) Garett

Those are what's called extended textures, and your right they're not 1m textures. What kind of filtering do you use? Bilinear or Trilinear, Anisotropic should be set in the graphics driver. Also what is your Texture_Bandwidth_Mult? For your system it shold be about 200-250. Too low causes blurries, too high can induce stuttering. It is system dependant, so you need to find what's best for yours. 200-250 would be a good starting place.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

lol...yeah I can't fly in big cities with more than 10-15 FPS....but even so, last night I was flying around KSEA in the default Airbus VC and had 10 FPS with dense autogen...I use treesX I think performance textures. I also have the default autogen file running too. Im using Matt Fox's fixes as welledit: wait, i lied, i have matt's autogen descriptions instead of the default. I used to have my trees set like yours but I wanted more vegetation....more eye candy for less FPS I guess... :)I usually fly in dead places anyway, just go city flyin for eye candy really hahahThe weirdest things have happened to me performance-wise...A default installation yielded crappy, horrible FPS, stutters etc, but after all my tweaking things are ok, but I still get the blurries...even in FS9 I get textures popping in if I switch from say VC to external and back...I wonder if it has to do with RAM and GPU loading...Somehow I doubt even the fastest GPU/RAM combo would alleviate this situation, I'm going to dig more on the radius entries....you couldnt find anything in the SDK?Anyway, here's a shot of where I usually fly in/around, just east of Bowman, ND (KBPP), with extrememly dense autogen...The rest are KSEA, and these are all live, unpaused screenshots..some show the average FPS rate too, again with ext dense autogen...not bad considering my system and autogen levels....that's a lot of calculations hehe...and of course, I prety much lose the crisp 1m textures with this much autogen, except right under my aircraft, about a mile radiusOh, did you try to set LOD_RADIUS to 5.5 instead of 5? Some guy on the nvidia forums had his set to 5.5 with his 8800...http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/167957.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/167958.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/167959.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/167960.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/167961.jpg

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Run 4AA/8AF/Trilinear (tried all) but it doens't do anything increase that resolution of the extended textures.Granted it provides the benefit that filtering offers, but doesn't change the resolution range. Bandwidth 300 seems to be my sweat spot. As I said though, I "just" notice it more in the mountains. Instead of the textures being applied similar to the level flight path with urban or prairie textures (which its barely noticable), now you have textures placed more at a perpendicular angle at a greater range, thus you notice more than the other (and again with different textures more than others) Those shots are at CYGE btw.Extended textures was a switch in FS9, but its ommited in FSX (so assumed on by default). And we also used to have Terrain Extended Radius as well. Thus that is part of the question, do we no longer have control over that? Spent many an hour tweaking of the later and default radius to balance those ol 512 textures in the distance.Again, thanks for the suggestions. I've still got a few hairs left.. ;)Garett