Sign in to follow this  
Justin Toposim

FS Genesis Landclass

FS Genesis National Landclass has been released and the graphics are great! The photos are at LAT N39 28.33 LON W98 7.62 Alt 2984 MSL Craig

Guest JimC1702

I just downloaded and installed it. I was using X-class landclass prviously. They both have thier good and bad points, neither is perfect. I'll be curious to hear other people's impressions about their area of the country.Here in upstate NY, both look quite good, but FSGenesis has a TON of swamps. It may be accurate, but the way they're depicted in FSX is really ugly and spoils the look. X-class seems to have more rural autogen for some reason. Since the latest X-class update both are very similar regarding suburban areas and no longer having towering buildings in suburban areas or small towns and villages.It's good to have a choice!Jim

I have a few places I like to test and like you said-some improvement in some areas and less in others. I do prefer the FsGenesis however as mostly I have seen improved ares I fly and am familair with (e.g. desert areas i N. California are now forest with fsgenesis and missing towns are there). I am sure it will come down to personal preference and where you fly-both good products.http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpg

Guest JackDanielsDrinker

Well, it helps where I live. Here is a before (#1) and after (#2) of southern Kansas City looking south. The FSGenesis shot is more accurate. The trees and suburbia really do tail off towards the south, except for that park to the right.

I saw the announcement and also purchased FSGenesis' N America mesh as well (had all of it for FS9). It has made such a difference with my flight from KHIO to KONP here in Oregon. Can't wait to fly around some more places.

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888

Guest cseidel

I just purchased the New Landclass program but have not installed it yet. I had a couple of questions I was hoping for an answer to before I install.(1) does the program install to an easily accessible folder so that it is easily removed if necessary for the forth coming SP1.(2) Is there any effect on frame rates. I am running a Core Duo 2 E6600 with 2gig of corsair memory and a 7950GT 512 video card.(3) Is there a large increase in loading time.Thanks Chuck

>I just purchased the New Landclass program but have not>installed it yet. I had a couple of questions I was hoping for>an answer to before I install.>(1) does the program install to an easily accessible folder so>that it is easily removed if necessary for the forth coming>SP1.>(2) Is there any effect on frame rates. I am running a Core>Duo 2 E6600 with 2gig of corsair memory and a 7950GT 512 video>card.>(3) Is there a large increase in loading time.>>Thanks >ChuckI have both FSGenesis and Xclass, as far as framerates concerned. I don't see an impact on either.The one thing that is of a little concern with the FSGenesis LC is it installs itself in the addonscenery folder instead of it's own unigue folder like Cloud 9. This wouldn't be such an issue except that FS9 had a bug which caused a memory leak if the land class file was in a scenery folder that also included textures. It's unclear whether this problem is rsolved in FSX. While there are no textures at present, if another addon inserts itself there it may include textures, which could then generate the problem. It's easy enough though to move it into it's own scenery folder and activate it in the scenery lib DB, so it's not too big of deal, but one needs to be aware of the potential issue. As for which I prefer, I'm leaning with Xclass due to the swamp issue stated above.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Guest JackDanielsDrinker

You can install the FSGenesis landclass (and the mesh with some work) into their own folders. There are instructions included on how to do this.I have not noticed any change in loading time.

Hi Tom,The USLC for FSX was compiled directly from the 2001 NLCD, and those areas are indeed designated as swamp, or more precisely--91. Palustrine Forested Wetland* -Includes all tidal and non-tidal wetlands dominated by woody vegetation greater than or equal to 5 meters in height and all such wetlands that occur in tidal areas in which salinity due to ocean-derived salts is below 0.5 percent. Total vegetation coverage is greater than 20 percent.--but perhaps my choice of texture wasn't spot on. There are a few different swamp textures available, so it is easily fixed by switching out textures for those areas, which I'll do for the next update.-------Justinhttp://www.fsgenesis.netHigh Quality Scenery for FS200x

Justin - Toposim

http://www.toposim.net

Guest archtx

I was doing a little flying in Central America yesterday, and wasn't real happy with some of the default landclass....but also the shorelines. They almost appear to be worse than in FS9. Can anyone report whether FSGenesis improves any of the shorelines?

>I was doing a little flying in Central America yesterday, and>wasn't real happy with some of the default landclass....but>also the shorelines. They almost appear to be worse than in>FS9. Can anyone report whether FSGenesis improves any of the>shorelines? I don't believe it will help at all since it's US National Landclass. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Craig

Guest JackDanielsDrinker

>You can install the FSGenesis landclass (and the mesh with>some work) into their own folders. There are instructions>included on how to do this.>>I have not noticed any change in loading time.Whoops...the landclass includes these instructions. For the mesh, there are instructions on the FSGenesis forums.You basically just make a folder called Landclass, then a subfolder called Scenery. Put the landclass file in the Scenery folder. Add the Landclass folder to the scenery. You're done.

>>I was doing a little flying in Central America yesterday,>and>>wasn't real happy with some of the default landclass....but>>also the shorelines. They almost appear to be worse than in>>FS9. Can anyone report whether FSGenesis improves any of the>>shorelines?>>> I don't believe it will help at all since it's US National>Landclass.>> Someone correct me if I'm wrong.>> CraigYour correct, plus Land Class doesn't correct shorelines, you would need something like Ultimate terrain for that, but I'm not aware of anything like that for Central of South America.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

>I was doing a little flying in Central America yesterday, and>wasn't real happy with some of the default landclass....but>also the shorelines. They almost appear to be worse than in>FS9. Can anyone report whether FSGenesis improves any of the>shorelines?Where were you flying in Central America? I am re-doing some coastlines and rivers in Nicaragua right now.I am also re-doing the waterclass and landclass.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB