Sign in to follow this  
Bilal2104

4k 60hz to 1440p 144hz..WOW

4 minutes ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

I have never seen any distortion on my 32" 2560x1440 curved screen.

I am unclear what people are talking about.  Does the game distort the image somehow for flatscreens due to the edges being further away from you, that somehow messes up curved screens?

Or am I confused and the distortion being discussed is related to the ultrawide 3440x1440 aspect ratio rather than anything to do with being curved  ?

I could have been clearer indeed. I am speaking of a fisheye distortion at the edges, specially in an ultrawide ratio screen but also in a curved monitor as both features seem to often come together. I have not seen any in real life so sorry if my question is a bit naive 😉.

• Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

39 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

I could have been clearer indeed. I am speaking of a fisheye distortion at the edges, specially in an ultrawide ratio screen but also in a curved monitor as both features seem to often come together. I have not seen any in real life so sorry if my question is a bit naive 😉.

I’ve never seen any distortion from the curve on my monitor. However the ultra wide resolution does increase the fisheye look at the edges at least in external views. I saw that in regular widescreen as well though. Really wish they’d turn that off. 

• Like 2

AMD Ryzen 5950X |  Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK waterblock | Full Custom Loop Cooling | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo | Logitech Pro Flight Pedals | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro

12 minutes ago, flyinion said:

I’ve never seen any distortion from the curve on my monitor. However the ultra wide resolution does increase the fisheye look at the edges at least in external views. I saw that in regular widescreen as well though. Really wish they’d turn that off. 

The outside view fisheye effect can be mostly  alleviated on a normal screen, with the graphics settings. 

But I have seen pics where the side windows were stretched on wide ratio screens. I don't know whether this can be corrected. Maybe the new generation monitors are better ?

• Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

It's fantastic isn't it. When I hear people say there's no visible difference between 30fps and 80+ FPS I have to wonder how well their eyes (and reflexes) work. 144hz is so fluid and smooth, even if less than 144hz with gsync.

Edited by Bigbluss
  • Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

The outside view fisheye effect can be mostly  alleviated on a normal screen, with the graphics settings. 

But I have seen pics where the side windows were stretched on wide ratio screens. I don't know whether this can be corrected. Maybe the new generation monitors are better ?

Ideally we would have the same capability in MSFS that I have in iracing.  I set my single ultrawide up as triples with a 16 inch curve.  I run them as three 16.3 inch monitors with a 16 inch angle in iracing and that eliminates the fisheye effect with an FOV of 96.  Both MSFWS and P3D suffer from the fisheye effect and it is quite noticeable when panning.  Anything on the corners of the screen will stretch with an ultrawide monitor very few titles support them natively.   

• Like 1

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

28 minutes ago, Bigbluss said:

It's fantastic isn't it. When I hear people say there's no visible difference between 30fps and 80+ FPS I have to wonder how well their eyes (and reflexes) work. 144hz is so fluid and smooth, even if less than 144hz with gsync.

Yup. This. G-Sync is game changing and should be used by everyone who is lucky enough to be able to afford it, when simming. No need to lock to that dreadful 30fps. Especially now more so, with the latest msfs updates, 50-60 FPS at 4K is glorious whilst on variable refresh rate. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Yup. This. G-Sync is game changing and should be used by everyone who is lucky enough to be able to afford it, when simming. No need to lock to that dreadful 30fps. Especially now more so, with the latest msfs updates, 50-60 FPS at 4K is glorious whilst on variable refresh rate. 

I've been saying for years the 30fps lock was a hack that provided me with noticeable stutters.  Everyone said I was crazy but I have always run my monitors at their native refresh rate and matched FPS to refresh.  I can run my 5k at 144 4k, 120 refresh at  5k or refresh of 60 at 5k resolution.  Right now I am at a refresh rate of 60 with FPS unlocked and I run right at 50-60FPS.  NOTHING is smoother that your FPS matching your refresh though, I've been saying that for years and the mere fact in 2021 we have to LOCK a sim to 30FPS is ludicrous IMO.  I still don't understand how that's acceptable.  That is a fundamental flaw that people dismiss as acceptable and apply a 30FPS workaround then praise it...   And NO, the human eye does not only se 24 FPS so let's get them one over with right now LOL!!!  

It's not so much the refresh, it's allowing the monitor to run it's native default refresh rates and having your FPS as closely matched to refresh as possible.  I'm surprised 4k60hz wasn't smooth for you as well or did you previously lock rates at 30 with your other monitor? 

Edited by psolk
  • Upvote 1

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

I’ve used g-sync for years and wouldn’t use anything else for simming. The fact that it is now in LG Oled’s is also Game changing not only for PC, but also console gaming which is also adopting variable refresh rate now. 

• Like 2

I went to the PMDG forum and asked about the upcoming performance improvements for the DC-6, and was told that the performance was perfect and that I need to lock my FPS to 30 and not expect more. Was further told I was wrong for preferring 60fps+ because msfs isn't a multiplayer FPS game. Suffice to say I logged out and don't think I'll return!

Edited by Bigbluss
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Bigbluss said:

I went to the PMDG forum and asked about the upcoming performance improvements for the DC-6, and was told that the performance was perfect and that I need to lock my FPS to 30 and not expect more. Was further told I was wrong for preferring 60fps+ because the msfs isn't a multiplayer FPS game. Suffice to say I logged out and don't think I'll return!

PMDG said that?  Or someone on their forum said that?  Garbage either way LOL 

• Like 1

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

1 minute ago, psolk said:

PMDG said that?  Or someone on their forum said that?  Garbage either way LOL 

A few of the members - I think the PMDG team are aware of the performance issues and they're due to be fixed!

I do wonder if it's perhaps they're used to the 19fps days of the NGX in FSX and so 30fps feels like a huge improvement. In their defence, prior to seeing 144hz I thought 60hz was as smooth as possible.

I worked for years with commercial sims that used curved and even dome screens. Some used as many as 8 or more projectors to get a good image that was not distorted. The edges had to be carefully blended to achieve this. I never could see the adventure of the tiny amount of curve added to a flat panel LCD screen other than to add to it's cost. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

2 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

I worked for years with commercial sims that used curved and even dome screens. Some used as many as 8 or more projectors to get a good image that was not distorted. The edges had to be carefully blended to achieve this. I never could see the adventure of the tiny amount of curve added to a flat panel LCD screen other than to add to it's cost. 

It's much more immersive - I replaced a flat screen ultrawide with a curved one and the difference is night and day. Looking at the flat one looks pretty awful in comparison.

Went from 4k to 1440p and it is amazing! Honestly at 1440p everything looks really crisp. 

Discord | YouTube | Facebook

34" Odyssey OLED G8 175Hz | 3440X1440 | AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | PNY VERTO OC GeForce RTX 4070 Ti SUPER 16 GB | G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F GAMING WIFI ATX AM5 | Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 | ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler | Fractal Design North XL ATX Full Tower Case

Not a real sim if you don't have to downgrade your 1,500 buck monitor fed by a 1,500 bucks card to 30 Hz 😈.

Some "experts" have convinced many to accept this weird tweaking as a standard to make P3D palatable. Time to get back to normality. 

An interesting thread.

• Like 2

Dominique