Sign in to follow this  
Bilal2104

4k 60hz to 1440p 144hz..WOW

9 minutes ago, psolk said:

Is there anything that has to be enabled in the driver or in the sim or is it all automagically happening

If you have a G-Sync compatible monitor you can enable it in Nvidia Panel.

• Like 1

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

1 minute ago, iFlySimX said:

4K today is still an overkill....No hardware can run a GOOD 4K game at more than 30-60fps maxed out settings. Hence why i love 1440P 🙂

Well I can hit 60-90 FPS in msfs at 4K (depending on scenario, but it happens quite often). And in other ‘good’ games, I can easy hit over 60fps in 4K. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

PS, a really rudimentary test; move your mouse cursor really fast in circles on the screen. Do it at 30hz and then do it at 120hz. 

My favourite was when I first got a 144hz monitor which defaulted to 60hz, and I changed it to 144hz for the first time. Dragging around windows was so nice!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Well I can hit 60-90 FPS in msfs at 4K (depending on scenario, but it happens quite often). And in other ‘good’ games, I can easy hit over 60fps in 4K. 

With everything in Ultra and in an airliner? 

With maxed out setting in a heavy detailed game?

Edited by iFlySimX

Discord | YouTube | Facebook

34" Odyssey OLED G8 175Hz | 3440X1440 | AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | PNY VERTO OC GeForce RTX 4070 Ti SUPER 16 GB | G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F GAMING WIFI ATX AM5 | Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 | ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler | Fractal Design North XL ATX Full Tower Case

26 minutes ago, Ixoye said:

If you have a G-Sync compatible monitor you can enable it in Nvidia Panel.

I had to enable it on the monitor first, that was the trick.  Then I had the option to enable it in Nvidia Control Panel.  Now do I need to make any changes in sim?  -Thank you!

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

2 hours ago, psolk said:

But it is noticeable.  That's the point.  Ad it is better at 60 FPS in all cases.  There is no case where if you can achieve 60 FPS 30 FPS is better.  The ONLY reason to use 30 FPS is if 60 is not consistently achievable.

Do you argue 30 is the same as 60 or 30 is better than 60?  Of course they aren't, that is ludicrous.  You are refreshing literally twice as fast LOL.  

For you it apparently is, but that is not true for everyone.  This is why many users, many with the highest end hardware, stick to vsync to 30Hz because the processing headroom is very large, rather than parking on the bleeding edge, with no room to easily accomodate changes in complexity and processing overhead.  I've done both many times, vsync'd at 30 and 60, and absolutely see no difference in either P3D or MSFS.  You can describe all of the theoretical reasons, for example the 'refreshing literally twice as fast', and that means exactly nothing because what happens in our brains, perception, is all that matters.   In a double-blinded test without you doing certain maneuvers to try to tease out the difference, I bet you the % of times you identified which was which correctly will be close to 50% over a large number of tests.  Obviously, this challenge assumes we perceive things identically, which is probably not the case admittedly.

Certainly at altitude where everything moves at a snails pace, you'd absolutely notice zero difference because the amount of motion is approaching a standstill.  On the ground, as you are approaching take of speed, looking out the side at point blank range at the edge of the runway for example, would be the scenario you should easily notice the difference, though quite frankly even that is marginally different for me.  Why?  Because our eyes fill in the gaps (perceptual) as a form of motion blur.  And furthermore, if you're looking out the front, if you're duplicating realworld behavior, you're not even staring at the runway directly in front of the plane--you're looking well out ahead to make sure you have time to react should something cross your path.  And even then, it's mostly instruments you're focused on.  Looking ahead 300 feet or so, that space is moving towards you at a TO speed of 130k if ~ 6,8 feet per frame at 30fps, or 3.4 feet per frame at 60fps.  Just do the trigonometry in your head:   not perceptable at 300 feet ahead because of the angles involved.   And the important take home point is this:  you don't stare at the side of the runway at takeoff speed you're looking straight ahead alternating w/ looking instrumentation in the cockpit.  So no, 60fps is not required for exquisitely smooth flight, unless doing maneuvers to tease out the difference to prove something to yourself.  All of this being said, if under normal flying conditions you notice enough difference to demand your hardware performs at double what is required for 30FPS, that's unfortunate for you.  As I opened with, many times, mostly in response to comments by people like yourself touting the absolute requirement, in a flight sim, to aim for 60FPS, I've seen exactly zero difference.  Perception is reality, thankfully.

• Like 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

14 minutes ago, iFlySimX said:

With everything in Ultra and in an airliner? 

With maxed out setting in a heavy detailed game?

Yes, depending on situation of course, but 75% of the time, yes. 

And even if and when it drops FPS, G-Sync takes care of it. 

Edited by Ianrivaldosmith

10 minutes ago, Noel said:

perception, is all that matters.

And your perception is obviously different to his. And I am with him ( Which isn't right or wrong), because with my perception, 60FPS is way better than 30 FPS. 

Edited by Ianrivaldosmith

Well that G-Sync is pretty spectacular...  LMBO!  How did I not have this enabled?  I need to go enable this on my race sim as well.  Man, thank you so much for this thread, it's amazing how many gems you can still pick up here in between the noise. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

3 minutes ago, psolk said:

Well that G-Sync is pretty spectacular... 

I think every simmer should stick this top of their list, then no need to mess about with V-Sync and locking frames etc.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, iFlySimX said:

4K today is still an overkill....No hardware can run a GOOD 4K game at more than 30-60fps maxed out settings. Hence why i love 1440P 🙂

Yeah I get up around 100 FPS at 1440p   (on a 32" 144hz curved screen). Though I usually frame limit it to 36 FPS (freesync LFC)  because seriously with my old eyes I cannot see the difference and the PC runs much quieter as well. 

I have considered upgrading to ultrawide but I get the impression MSFS does not handle it well.

14 minutes ago, Noel said:

For you it apparently is, but that is not true for everyone.  This is why many users, many with the highest end hardware, stick to vsync to 30Hz because the processing headroom is very large, rather than parking on the bleeding edge, with no room to easily accomodate changes in complexity and processing overhead.  I've done both many times, vsync'd at 30 and 60, and absolutely see no difference in either P3D or MSFS.  You can describe all of the theoretical reasons, for example the 'refreshing literally twice as fast', and that means exactly nothing because what happens in our brains, perception, is all that matters.   In a double-blinded test without you doing certain maneuvers to try to tease out the difference, I bet you the % of times you identified which was which correctly will be close to 50% over a large number of tests.  Obviously, this challenge assumes we perceive things identically, which is probably not the case admittedly.

Certainly at altitude where everything moves at a snails pace, you'd absolutely notice zero difference because the amount of motion is approaching a standstill.  On the ground, as you are approaching take of speed, looking out the side at point blank range at the edge of the runway for example, would be the scenario you should easily notice the difference, though quite frankly even that is marginally different for me.  Why?  Because our eyes fill in the gaps (perceptual) as a form of motion blur.  And furthermore, if you're looking out the front, if you're duplicating realworld behavior, you're not even staring at the runway directly in front of the plane--you're looking well out ahead to make sure you have time to react should something cross your path.  And even then, it's mostly instruments you're focused on.  Looking ahead 300 feet or so, that space is moving towards you at a TO speed of 130k if ~ 6,8 feet per frame at 30fps, or 3.4 feet per frame at 60fps.  Just do the trigonometry in your head:   not perceptable at 300 feet ahead because of the angles involved.   And the important take home point is this:  you don't stare at the side of the runway at takeoff speed you're looking straight ahead alternating w/ looking instrumentation in the cockpit.  So no, 60fps is not required for exquisitely smooth flight, unless doing maneuvers to tease out the difference to prove something to yourself.  All of this being said, if under normal flying conditions you notice enough difference to demand your hardware performs at double what is required for 30FPS, that's unfortunate for you.  As I opened with, many times, mostly in response to comments by people like yourself touting the absolute requirement, in a flight sim, to aim for 60FPS, I've seen exactly zero difference.  Perception is reality, thankfully.

You may look straight ahead.  I really very heavily on my peripheral vision whereas you are describing tunnel vision.  Yes, in tunnel vision 30 vs 60 fps is probably less noticeable.  Especially on a 5k using TrackiR the difference in peripheral vision is noticeable to me at 30 vs 60fps.  We also all have different visual perception levels so one may not see the difference as acutely as someone with higher visual perception.  That's not math, to your point not everyone's perception is the same, some people do not see the same level of detail as others, there is a visual perception eye test usually given to children to identify this.  To your point, yes your perspective is key.  

• Like 1

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

44 minutes ago, Noel said:

Perception is reality, thankfully.

Yep, and your perception is pretty special 🙂

So you buy a 3080 to limit MSFS to 30 FPS in 1440p - yep. Thats like buying a Lamborghini and limit the engine by chip tuning to 80 hp.

EDIT: Ok, I admit, when I have a look at how people drive 80 hp is more than enough for most of them. Same here it seems.

Edited by swiesma
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, swiesma said:

Yep, and your perception is pretty special 🙂

So you buy a 3080 to limit MSFS to 30 FPS in 1440p - yep. Thats like buying a Lamborghini and limit the engine by chip tuning to 80 hp.

EDIT: Ok, I admit, when I have a look at how people drive 80 hp is more than enough for most of them. Same here it seems.

Do you run MSFS unlimited in FPS?

54 minutes ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Yes, depending on situation of course, but 75% of the time, yes. 

And even if and when it drops FPS, G-Sync takes care of it. 

Would love to see your specs 🙂

Discord | YouTube | Facebook

34" Odyssey OLED G8 175Hz | 3440X1440 | AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | PNY VERTO OC GeForce RTX 4070 Ti SUPER 16 GB | G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F GAMING WIFI ATX AM5 | Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 | ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler | Fractal Design North XL ATX Full Tower Case