Sign in to follow this  
captain420

xbox s vs i7-3700k + gtx 1080 performance comparison

I am curious if my old computer which is equipped with an i7-3770k, 32GB system RAM and an NVIDIA GTX 1080 (8GB) on how well it can run MSFS compared to an xbox series s. Will I be able to run at higher settings than the xbox at 1920x1080?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

10 minutes ago, captain420 said:

I am curious if my old computer which is equipped with an i7-3770k, 32GB system RAM and an NVIDIA GTX 1080 (8GB) on how well it can run MSFS compared to an xbox series s. Will I be able to run at higher settings than the xbox at 1920x1080?

your CPU will be a limiting factor. It's a mismatch for an 1080. 

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

What would be a better CPU to match the 1080 then? But I've seen several ppl with i7-3770k and i7-4770k saying they're having great performance with MSFS.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Just now, captain420 said:

What would be a better CPU to match the 1080 then? But I've seen several ppl with i7-3770k and i7-4770k saying they're having great performance with MSFS.

Having decent performance or having the best performance your GTX 1080 can give you is 2 different thing. The minimum system requirement for MSFS says you need at least an Intel Core i5-4460 or AMD Ryzen 3 1200 or better. So you are not even meeting that. 

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

If you are considering getting an Xbox S, don't do that yet. Your PC is good to go. Not high end of course, but it will definitely run nicely. If you buy in the MS Store, you will be able to run on PC and XBox btw, so if you find you want a Xbox for other reasons, that would probably be the way to go.

• Like 1

Laminar Research customer -- Asobo/MS customer -- not an X-Aviation customer - or am I? 😉

10 minutes ago, captain420 said:

I have an i5 4690k with 32Gb and GTX1080ti. I have had great performance at HIGH-END ++ settings and caching on ULTRA, Render scaling 200 etc. at 1440p.

50-60fps in modded TBM w WT G3000 over Switzerland. 35-45 at airports (even London City EGLC).

Not to say I don’t get occasional CTDs (better than SU5) but I think I might have a memory problem with my PC.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, captain420 said:

I am not sure what you are after... in your sig you show that you have a killer system, and all I see is "what if" questions.

It would be refreshing if you would join in, and share your observations rather than asking how deep the pool is.. 😉

Bert

4 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

I am not sure what you are after... in your sig you show that you have a killer system, and all I see is "what if" questions.

It would be refreshing if you would join in, and share your observations rather than asking how deep the pool is.. 😉

Bert I am referring to my 2nd old PC that I have. The one in my sig is my new rig that I built. And I do not plan on getting an Xbox. I just want to see if MSFS will run well on my old rig before I invest time in downloading and getting everything all set up for it.

Just now, captain420 said:

Bert I am referring to my 2nd old PC that I have. The one in my sig is my new rig that I built. And I do not plan on getting an Xbox. I just want to see if MSFS will run well on my old rig before I invest time in downloading and getting everything all set up for it.

I am running on a 4770K@4.1 / 1070 at 1080p.. runs fine.

The only way to find out, is to try it.. 😉

• Like 1

Bert

Mine runs great, see signature for setup.

question: why run it on two separate computers?

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

I think we all are easily able to think of at least a dozen good reasons someone wants to want to run MSFS on a cheap computer, even if they also run it on a great computer. I would guess the OP's specified PC would run MSFS better than on an xBox|S.

The xBox is cheaper and easier to use as we all know and usually are run using lesser controllers. And in more casual environments which usually are going to serve other purposes than running simulations.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

1 hour ago, Mike S KPDX said:

Mine runs great, see signature for setup.

question: why run it on two separate computers?

I have my old PC in my bedroom that I would like to use for MSFS for those days I'm feeling lazy and just want to casually fly around and explore the world. 🙂

2 hours ago, Fielder said:

I think we all are easily able to think of at least a dozen good reasons someone wants to want to run MSFS on a cheap computer, even if they also run it on a great computer. I would guess the OP's specified PC would run MSFS better than on an xBox|S.

The xBox is cheaper and easier to use as we all know and usually are run using lesser controllers. And in more casual environments which usually are going to serve other purposes than running simulations.

Not trying to be pedantic here, but really only curious as to any reason to do this.  I too have an older computer in another room and could use some reason/advice.  You there are dozens, would you be willing to list two or three?

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

I've had the same rig. 

For 1080p - all running fine and smooth. And as the name implements - GForce 1080 GPU is for 1080p.

4K on TV - after about 30 minutes CTD. GPU overheating.....

Forget about thinking to change the CPU - without to change the mainboard no chance. It is an old socket (LGA1155) for 3rd/2nd generation cores and DDR3 RAM. The difference to "faster" 3rd gen CPU for LGA1155 socket will be minimal.

Leave it like it is - or buy a XBox.

Best regards

Detlef