Sign in to follow this  
ThomseN_inc

Flying through high altitude clouds grills my GPU

Hello,

In the last days i observed that flying through a high layer of clouds (FL300 for example) makes my GPU Hot spot temperature rise by 5-10°C peaking around 97°C (RTX3080) on 4k ultra and around 90°C on 1440p ultra. Both capped at 30Hz.

Clouds on lower levels don't cause this regardless of how thick the layer is.

I am not an expert in terms of hardware and temperatures but me thinks 97°C is quite high and i'd really like to know what causes this behaviour and why its only the higher clouds that cause it.

Maybe someone with a background has an explanation?

Best regards,

Tom

Intel i9-13900K | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master | RTX4090 | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 | Be quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX AiO | Win 11

I kind of felt the same for quite some time, it might be because we are still missing cirrus clouds? No idea

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

Thats quite high. At 100% usage my 2080S is around 75C max 81c. You need better cooling

I also notice more struggle with certain volumetric clouds at high altitude, but even with 100% GPU and 40-45 fps, the temperature of my 3090 never passes 78-79 °C.

97 °C means that the GPU is not cooled enough, add some fans to extract hot air from the case.

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5

6 minutes ago, MrFuzzy said:

I also notice more struggle with certain volumetric clouds at high altitude, but even with 100% GPU and 40-45 fps, the temperature of my 3090 never passes 78-79 °C.

97 °C means that the GPU is not cooled enough, add some fans to extract hot air from the case.

I already have six fans installed...so no room for more.

Just to clarify...its the GPU hot spot temp reaching 97 degrees, not the GPU Temp (according to OCCT) which is around 78°C.

Edit:

I should have mentioned in the OP that those 97 Degrees are only spikes for a moment and then it goes back down. 

Edited by ThomseN_inc
  • Like 1

Intel i9-13900K | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master | RTX4090 | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 | Be quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX AiO | Win 11

40 minutes ago, ThomseN_inc said:

Hello,

In the last days i observed that flying through a high layer of clouds (FL300 for example) makes my GPU Hot spot temperature rise by 5-10°C peaking around 97°C (RTX3080) on 4k ultra and around 90°C on 1440p ultra. Both capped at 30Hz.

Clouds on lower levels don't cause this regardless of how thick the layer is.

I am not an expert in terms of hardware and temperatures but me thinks 97°C is quite high and i'd really like to know what causes this behaviour and why its only the higher clouds that cause it.

Maybe someone with a background has an explanation?

Best regards,

Tom

I think it's certain cloud layers / depictions that seem to really tax the GPU. Not sure if it's tied to "aerosol density" but opaque cloud layers at ultra can tax even a beefy GPU like a 3080 or 3090.

Edited by DylanM

32 minutes ago, DylanM said:

I think it's certain cloud layers / depictions that seem to really tax the GPU. Not sure if it's tied to "aerosol density" but opaque cloud layers at ultra can tax even a beefy GPU like a 3080 or 3090.

Yepp...i'd really like to know what it is that way. 😛

How big is your case? Are you sure your fans are blowing the right way? I've got a full tower with one of those Corsair radiator coolers and a 3080 and the hottest my gpu has ever gotten is about 65 degrees C. Front fans are blowing in and top fans are blowing out. I'm thinking 97 is really hot.

ROG MAXIMUS X HERO, Intel Core i7 8700K, 32 GB's 3200 RAM, Gigabyte RTX3080,

13 minutes ago, Daytona125 said:

How big is your case? Are you sure your fans are blowing the right way? I've got a full tower with one of those Corsair radiator coolers and a 3080 and the hottest my gpu has ever gotten is about 65 degrees C. Front fans are blowing in and top fans are blowing out. I'm thinking 97 is really hot.

You may have missed one of his later posts.  His GPU maintains around 78°C and the 97°C is a reference to momentary spikes.

• Like 2

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Had the same with 3080fe. Memory temp over 100 C. I replaced thermal pads and now i have 80 max and hot spot around 80.

CPU Intel Core i9 13900K, GPU :RTX 4090 FE, RAM : Corsair Vengeance DDR5 32GB@6000MHz, SSD : Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe M2, Monitor : Asus PG42 UQ

9 hours ago, fppilot said:

You may have missed one of his later posts.  His GPU maintains around 78°C and the 97°C is a reference to momentary spikes.

And not the GPU temp, but the "hotspot" only..

Bert

My GPU temp is 85C, Hotspot temp 96C and Memory temp 94C.

It's normal. 

Edit: That's my card running in Silent Bios, meaning the fan rpm is limited to 85% / 2390 rpm, so the card is thermal throttling. I'm doing this so hopefully my fans will last a few years. The silicon is made to run at high temperatures, the fans will be the first thing to fail eventually. And I don't need any more GPU performance in MSFS, it's already at 75 fps in the air, 50 fps on the ground. 

Edited by Republic3D

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

If thats your hot spot I fear your mem temp could be 105-110.

This happened on my first 3080, it went down hill from there. I got it replaced and the new 3080 same make never goes over 82 and thats the mem temp and that is always hotter than the hot spot.

The mem temp is 5 move than the hot spot even at rest.

I fear you will need to replace it like I had to do. The first 3080-3090 seem to have a lot of probelms with heat. 

I made my "new" 3080 run as hard as it could on a very hot day and it hit mem temp of 86 thats the highest its ever gone. It seems they have changed somes things! 82 is the max 99% of the time.

Edited by Nyxx

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

20 hours ago, xenonsk said:

Had the same with 3080fe. Memory temp over 100 C. I replaced thermal pads and now i have 80 max and hot spot around 80.

Like I just said, glad your sorted it out before melt down starts. I think the first 3080-3090 thermal pads were just bad...and fan curves.

Edited by Nyxx

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

43 minutes ago, Republic3D said:

My GPU temp is 85C, Hotspot temp 96C and Memory temp 94C.

It's normal. 

Edit: That's my card running in Silent Bios, meaning the fan rpm is limited to 85% / 2390 rpm, so the card is thermal throttling. I'm doing this so hopefully my fans will last a few years. The silicon is made to run at high temperatures, the fans will be the first thing to fail eventually. And I don't need any more GPU performance in MSFS, it's already at 75 fps in the air, 50 fps on the ground. 

Thats good to hear since they are basically the same temperatures i get. So i assume its pretty much a normal case under MSFS Conditions. Thanks!

• Like 1