Sign in to follow this  
cklink

Difference between Landclass for FSX and Terrain for FS...

Guest cliffie1931

Can some kind soul explain the difference between Landclass and Terrain mesh? Is it advisable to use both?Cliff

Landclass is the coding that tells MSFS what texture to place on the mesh.Terrain Mesh (available in different "resolution") is the elevation details of the terrain.So think of a paint by numbers paper mache mountain. The wire is the mesh, numbered paper the landclass, and the paint is the textures. The wire can be finer to give more accurate elevations, the numbered paper can have better "numbers" providing more accurate textures (or paint) to be applied to them. And yes, you will benefit visually from using both. You will get better detailed terrain with more accurate dipiction of textures displayed on top, as well as cities and towns where whey are not present currently. I own FSGenesis mesh, and use various custom landclass products at present.Hope that helped.Regards'Garett

Guest cliffie1931

Thanks Garett. That's just the information I was hoping for. Simple, clear and helpful.May I ask something else? If it's not a hassle and too time consuming would it be possible for you to reply with a picture showing what the scenery looks like with using the Genesis combination of Landclass and Mesh? Regards,Cliff

Cliff,I see you are from Spain, but I do not have any scenery from the area. So the following 3 screen shots are from Western Canada, near the Bella Colla airport. I am on dial up so I made the pics small.Keep an eye on the river, as you will see the accuracy of that improve as well. This is yet another "layer" that can be improved upon. Note that I have manually darkend my rock textures, so mine will show darker than yours if you where to go here.So first pic is default mesh, default landclass.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/167908.jpgThis second pic is with improved mesh and rivers. (thanks to FSGenesis for the mesh and Ultimate Terrain for the improved river and shorelines)http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/167909.jpgThe last pic is with the improved mesh, rivers and landclass. The more rock on the mountains is from picking a better number that changed to rock at a less angle, and you now have a rural town/fields for doing the same number switch.(thanks to Holger Sandman for his recent freeware package of the area that includes everything)http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/167910.jpgNow thats alot closer to "as real as it gets", don't you think. ;)Regards'Garett

Guest cbeal

Is it possible to install landclass and terrain mesh seperately? Does FS Global X include a different landclass or does it use the FSX landclass.Cheers,C.

Guest cliffie1931

Impressive Garett. And I thank you for the time you've devoted to creating these pics for us.The thing that strikes me the most is the vast difference Holger Sandman's freeware makes. I'm intrigued to know how you select and download scenery without overloading your HD with stuff that may not achieve anything other than slow your computer.Cliff

"Is it possible to install landclass and terrain mesh seperately? "Yes, they usually are seperate packages in "most" cases."Does FS Global X include a different landclass or does it use the FSX landclass."I believe it is mesh only, but I do not have that product so can't comment on it. I bought FSGenesis for the known quality and good customer service.Garett

LOL - Both of my hard drives are plum full of planes, scenery, modified textures, mesh, realisitic roads, cloud textures, and just about everything else that could be improved upon. Thats the hobby for me. Making it as real as I can get it. Then the second part of the hobby is tweaking it to run as fast as it can. ;)And your welcome. A little knowledge shared is better that alot not -especially in a hobby community. The forums getting pretty full of posts arguing opinions of the new version, but there still alot of helpful information inbetween. Dont forget that many products have been discussed in here at some point, so hit the ol search button and see what others think of it before you buy something.Have funGarett

Guest cbeal

Where did you get the Holger Sandman freeware package? I searched the avsim file library, but couldn't find anything.Regards,Chris