Sign in to follow this  
dresoccer4

L Shift plus key assignment issue

Once more it seems MSFS2020 is attempting to gaslight me 😛 . After much trail and error I've finally discovered the culprite this time: pressing left shift + a key activates the correct command, but ALSO just the key itself. For example I have keys:

Z -> disable autopilot
LShft+Z -> increase sim speed

When pressing LShft+Z the sim speed increases AND the autopilot is disabled. It goes without saying that this is incorrect behavior. Another example:

F -> flaps down 1 notch
LShft+F -> flaps up 1 notch

When pressing LShft+F nothing happens, because the two key commands cancel each other out. Has anyone else run into this huge issue? Thanks!

Edited by dresoccer4

7 minutes ago, dresoccer4 said:

Once more it seems MSFS2020 is attempting to gaslight me 😛 . After much trail and error I've finally discovered the culprite this time: pressing left shift + a key activates the correct command, but ALSO just the key itself. For example I have keys:

Z -> disable autopilot
LShft+Z -> increase sim speed

When pressing LShft+Z the sim speed increases AND the autopilot is disabled. It goes without saying that this is incorrect behavior. Another example:

F -> flaps down 1 notch
LShft+F -> flaps up 1 notch

When pressing LShft+F nothing happens, because the two key commands cancel each other out. Has anyone else run into this huge issue? Thanks!

Did you check every key assignment to make sure you don't have duplicates? 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 ,  FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I have the same stupid problem and always have. Write a ticket. Same with lights. Can't activate landing lights or any other lights like it always worked in any version of FS back to FS98 or whatever. If you assign CTRL+L to landing lights, as it has always been, and have L to toggle all lights, you'll always toggle all lights even if you hit CTRL+L. Just so unnerving. But please do write a ticket. It's an annoying bug and they don't fix it. So I guess it needs to be brought up by way more people.

Edited by badderjet
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, badderjet said:

I have the same stupid problem and always have. Write a ticket. Same with lights. Can't activate landing lights or any other lights like it always worked in any version of FS back to FS98 or whatever. If you assign CTRL+L to landing lights, as it has always been, and have L to toggle all lights, you'll always toggle all lights even if you hit CTRL+L. Just so unnerving. But please do write a ticket. It's an annoying bug and they don't fix it. So I guess it needs to be brought up by way more people.

Thanks for your comment! It's always good to learn that your issue is an actual issue and not just you doing something stupid 😛 

I programmed around this by using R+ and R- to accelerate/decelerate the sim speed.

On another note, I have enough issues with the ATC system, but it's not uncommon for ATC to take my Ctrl+1, +2, etc. cam selection and consider it a "1" or "2" instead!  This has led to all kinds of mess-ups, activating requests to the ATC I never actually initiated.  On a recent flight changing a cockpit view cancelled my flight plan - on another it declared a missed approach!  I don't know if this is an encoding error or due to my PC or keyboard but it's driving me nuts!

• Like 1

Randall Rocke

6 hours ago, RandallR said:

it's not uncommon for ATC to take my Ctrl+1, +2, etc. cam selection and consider it a "1" or "2" instead!  

Same problem here.

GTX 1660 Ti

Two DX  buttons in combination does not have this problem. With any flightstick based on the F-16, you do not have to move your hands to push the pinkie button, only squeeze your little finger. So for instance Pinkie + buttton 2 is how I reset the barometer and the digital gyro, and button 2 alone is how I reset the main view to default .

I've done it this way with the Thrustmaster F-16 HOTAS (gameport), and then the CH Flightstick (USB) and then the TM Warthog (USB). All of these sticks are just copies of the F-16 stick. They all have  identical shaped hats and buttons.

The F-16 stick was designed by a billion dollar  project to get  the most ergonomic stick possible. It has never been equaled in ease of use and ease of remembering the function locations. You never have to move your hands to send a command, only wiggle your fingers while still holding the stick.

So, Asobo's controls utility has no problem with 2 DX buttons in combination. But all kinds of trouble with two keyboaard keys in combination. That is weird, but true.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

On 9/13/2021 at 12:20 AM, RandallR said:

On another note, I have enough issues with the ATC system, but it's not uncommon for ATC to take my Ctrl+1, +2, etc. cam selection and consider it a "1" or "2" instead!  

I have this problem sometimes when my numeric keyboard is NOT active.

GTX 1660 Ti

On 9/13/2021 at 3:52 AM, Fielder said:

So, Asobo's controls utility has no problem with 2 DX buttons in combination. But all kinds of trouble with two keyboaard keys in combination. That is weird, but true.

Their keyboard profiles are flakey... They also distinguish between the the left CTRL key and the right CTRL key.. Sometimes Shift is ignored...  Button assignments on your controllers do not have this issue (at least in my experience)..

Bert

3 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

Their keyboard profiles are flakey...

Agree.

When setting up some camera controls I wanted to use the key combo Right Shift+DownArrow (the stand alone Down Arrow key)  for Cockpit Lookdown. But I have to hit the DownArrow key a split second before Right Shift (which MSFS shows in the key profile setup dialouge as DownArrow + Right Shift as expected) because for some reason I don't understand, if I hit the Right Shift a little before DownArrow, MSFS shows that key combo as Right Shift + Num2 (Numberpad 2). Now the Num2 key is also a DownArrow key (and I have NumLock on), but this problem happens whether Num Lock is on or off. It seems MSFS is treating the Shift key the same as the NumLock key in this case.

If I hit Right Shift alone, if shows as Right Shift. If I hit Num2 alone, it shows as Num2. If I hit the stand alone DownArrow key alone, it shows as DownArrow, so why does Shift+DownArrow show as Shift+Num2?

A little Win10 app I have that captures and displays key codes does not have the above issues. The app sees everything 'correctly'.

I'd certainly be interested if anyone else sees something similar, or has a possible explanation.

Al

Edited by ark

10 key presses, 5 and 6 are Numlock press and release.

So it shows keyboard down arrow and does not register as Numlock 2 regardless of numlock state.

Note I pressed right shift before pressing the down arrow.

J9IjZT5.png

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

36 minutes ago, Fielder said:

10 key presses, 5 and 6 are Numlock press and release.

So it shows keyboard down arrow and does not register as Numlock 2 regardless of numlock state.

Note I pressed right shift before pressing the down arrow.

J9IjZT5.png

Thanks for the input, but I'm not sure what your point is here. Perhaps you are just confirming my results above when I also used a key test app. Both apps see things correctly. The problem is what MSFS sees. Here is what I get in MSFS, with Numlock on or off, when I press the key sequence Right Shift followed immediately by DownArrow (the stand alone DownArrow key):

30426faac9.png

I would be interested to know if you do or do not see the same thing in the MSFS keyboard profile setup.

If I press the DownArrow key first and then immediately the Right Shift key, I see:

fef4cd876c.png

Thx,

Al

Edited by ark

Yep I see the exact same as you do in the MSFS keyboard profile setup. Right Shift Num2 or Down Right Shift depending on which key is pressed first. So the error is not caused by anything in your hardware or software other than MSFS

4 hours ago, Fielder said:

Yep I see the exact same as you do in the MSFS keyboard profile setup. Right Shift Num2 or Down Right Shift depending on which key is pressed first. So the error is not caused by anything in your hardware or software other than MSFS

Thanks very much for taking the time to check that and respond here -- much appreciated!

So MSFS incorrectly records (with NumLock On or OFF):

Right Shift+Down as Right Shift + NUM2  (Numpad2)

Right Shift+Up as Right Shift + NUM8

Right Shift+Right as Right Shift + NUM4 

Right Shift+Left as Right Shift + NUM6

Right Shift+Page Down as Right Shift + NUM3

Right Shift+Page Up as Right Shift + NUM9

And also:

Right Shift + NUM Down as Right Shift + NUM2 if NumLock is OFF

Right Shift + NUM2 as Right Shift +NUM2 + Down if Numlock if ON

etc., etc ..... 🤥

and you get the same wrong results if you substitute Left Shift for Right Shift in the above. I hope the coming sim update fixes this -- I would think processing keystrokes correctly is pretty basic.

Thankfully, if you substitute the Left or Right Ctrl keys for the Shift keys above, you get the correct results that you would expect.

Al

Edited by ark