Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

nVidia 471.96 and DXGI_DEVICE_HUNG resolved

East of Oklahoma City enroute to Dallas / FW from Chicago and had my first freeze / buzz for a few seconds in days. This is what the GPU load looked like.

GPU_FreezeBuzz.jpg

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

8 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

East of Oklahoma City enroute to Dallas / FW from Chicago and had my first freeze / buzz for a few seconds in days. This is what the GPU load looked like.

GPU_FreezeBuzz.jpg

That looks just like my blood pressure graph when I keep fainting 😉   Big drop then massive spike LOL.  

So what happened in the background is the question... 

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Think of the medical bills we can save….P3D can replace need for EKG tests

sherm

34 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

GPU_FreezeBuzz.jpg

Something interrupted the CPU load which caused the FPS to drop.  The GPU had no work to do because P3D was running at a very low framerate, then it had to work like hell to catch up!

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

Gents, thanks for your analysis. I probably had a similar scare the first time it happened but not now as I know the situation will recover.

Paul, no idea what happened in the background. Nothing in Event Viewer. It remains a mystery. I must have flown for nearly 3.5hrs with loads of Ai and no issues. At the time this happened I was around 150nm out of KDFW in heavy storms. Maybe a factor.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Ray,

What was your CPU load at the time of the spike?

I9-9900, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3090 FTW

7 minutes ago, Sabre57 said:

Ray,

What was your CPU load at the time of the spike?

Don’t know, sorry. It takes time to save the screenshot before I can take another. You don’t get much time before the info scrolls off screen.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

17 minutes ago, Sabre57 said:

No worries

If the CPU load didn’t change would that suggest a graphical problem only affecting the GPU and perhaps pointing to a DXGI issue hidden by the Registry entries?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

If the CPU load didn’t change would that suggest a graphical problem only affecting the GPU and perhaps pointing to a DXGI issue hidden by the Registry entries?

Possibly.  My original thought was triggered by what Kevin said above that if the CPU was maxed out at the same time it may have been part of the cause.  I've read of power issues or lack of enough power, creating these kinds of issues as well.  The registry entries cured my DXGI issue and I don't have any lingering symptoms and my GPU was a lowly 970. My guess, and it's purely a guess, is that whatever is triggering it is random and outside of the sim.

I9-9900, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3090 FTW

I've had a similar issue recently, but not exactly the same.  Running rtss I could see I experienced a cycle of serious stutters, where the CPU load momentarily went to 100% on all cores. At the same time the framerate tanked from 50 to 5, with GPU use at 0%, so demonstrating everything was CPU bottlenecked.  Then a second later it recovered and went back to smooth well timed 50fps.  I spent about a week trying to determine the cause, it wasn't airplane, scenery, location or add-on specific.  In the end the apparent solution was just to delete the P3D.cfg and let the SIM rebuild it.  Why did that cause my stutters? No idea....

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

xaP1VAU.png

@Sabre57, if it is something external it seems a huge coincidence it’s started after the Registry entries. I’m going to remove them and see what happens.

@kevinfirth, was that on every flight?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

@kevinfirth, was that on every flight?

Yes it was, until I rebuilt the cfg.

At one point I noticed in task manager that Couatl was consuming an excessive amount of power and thought I'd fixed it by terminating the service.  However I couldn't reproduce that afterwards and the cfg rebuild seemed to fix the issue.  

• Like 1

xaP1VAU.png

11 hours ago, Sabre57 said:

Possibly.  My original thought was triggered by what Kevin said above that if the CPU was maxed out at the same time it may have been part of the cause.  I've read of power issues or lack of enough power, creating these kinds of issues as well.  The registry entries cured my DXGI issue and I don't have any lingering symptoms and my GPU was a lowly 970. My guess, and it's purely a guess, is that whatever is triggering it is random and outside of the sim.

Totally random thought but what are your windows security settings?  I "thought" mine were disabled until I started having random issues with the sim.  Never a DX issue but every time my sim choked, sputtered or died inevitably Windows Security was kicking in.  Specifically Virus and Threat protection.  This despite me "thinking" they were disabled.  It could happen once a week, once every couple of weeks but whenever I had a sim issue it would turn out Virus and Threat Protection was updating itself and running a scan.   I've set exclusions, defined implicit deny policies but it seems MS won't listen.  I've now reverted to doing a "quick scan" before my sim flights to ensure it does not randomly happen mid flight.  Typically the only time my system is on is for Flightsim so there were no down periods when FS wasn't running for the scans to happen I guess.  

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Hi Paul,

During operation, Windows starts various checks at predetermined times which obviously can slow down the running programs.

You can check these controls by searching for:

Utility of start - Task Scheduler Library - Microsoft - Windows.

By clicking on the folders shown you can disable the checks that Windows starts up as for example in the DiskCleanup and DiskDiagnostic folders.