Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

nVidia 471.96 and DXGI_DEVICE_HUNG resolved

1 hour ago, RobPol471 said:

Hi Paul,

During operation, Windows starts various checks at predetermined times which obviously can slow down the running programs.

You can check these controls by searching for:

Utility of start - Task Scheduler Library - Microsoft - Windows.

By clicking on the folders shown you can disable the checks that Windows starts up as for example in the DiskCleanup and DiskDiagnostic folders. 

Hi Rob,

Yep, thank you I've done all of that.  I've also got my Windows Security settings disabled and even get the warnings about having them shut down yet despite that in the background it was still updating it's Virus and Threat protection.  It shows Yellow with a notice about protection being off and my device being vulnerable yet if I open the settings it's still shows Security intelligence is up to date and it's last scan.  I've gone so far as to change device policy settings and it is still updating itself and doing scans.  When those scans happened it also introduced issues with P3D (whose folders were excluded)

Thank you

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

I've taken screenshots of each section of the P3D settings menus and deleted Prepar3d.cfg.

Started P3D again and reinstated my settings by using the screenshots. Easy enough to do. But using SimStarterNG I'm not entirely certain how that works as my settings are stored in each profile.

I shall now fly from Dallas Ft Worth somewhere west.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

The flight from KDFW to KABQ was fine although a sizeable pause when intercepting the localiser at this remote airport was a surprise.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Other software, mostly games, have had this issue as well.  Almost all of the solutions/bandaids have led to setting TDRlevel to 0.  One of the MS docs stated that this error was an application caused error and that the application developer needed to correct it.  While it may be true, it's a typical MS response.  I even found a reference to another set of registry entries called AppInit..._DLLs.  With the theory behind it being that a problem DLL is being loaded via those entries.  Which I really doubt has any merit as for those to be involved would require either an app or a person modify the keys from MS defaults.   If I come up with anything else I'll add it to this thread.

• Like 1

I9-9900, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3090 FTW

@Sabre57, your insight is appreciated. One thing strikes me about all this. DirectX has now become so complicated it’s almost unresolvable. Instead we have a sticking plaster approach to make software useable.

Between Microsoft, Nvidia and LM they’ve created a bit of a mess. The only surprise is that more people aren’t affected. How some don’t have the problem remains a mystery.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

HI, ever since I installed/added TdrLevel, TdrDelay=60, TdrDdiDelay=60(Dword) I have had no problems. None have shown up yet and I have completed at least 10 flights .  I am using 3 4K 65 INCH TV and 2 other   monitors for inside views.....two video cards in one computer...Hopefully this continues.. 

Percy

• Like 1

13 hours ago, percylee said:

HI, ever since I installed/added TdrLevel, TdrDelay=60, TdrDdiDelay=60(Dword) I have had no problems. None have shown up yet and I have completed at least 10 flights .  I am using 3 4K 65 INCH TV and 2 other   monitors for inside views.....two video cards in one computer...Hopefully this continues.. 

Percy

What Driver version Percy?  Are you on 471.96 as well?  Good to know and awesome setup 🙂 

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Glad I saw this post!!!  I never had a problem running 5.1 on my laptop with a 2060 in it.  So I splurged and bought a new system with a  i9-11900kf and the amd oem liquid cooled Radeon  6900xt.  Installed 5.2 and all of my scenery and aircraft last night and today.  The sim looks beautiful until I get the device hung message.  I’m going to try the reg edit trick tomorrow and hopefully I’ll be able to get a flight in!!!!  Looking for a wig now as I have pulled most of my hair out over the last few hours!!!!!

• Like 1

Well tried the edit at 60 and at 0 with no joy.  I can't figure it out as it is a brand new computer with just p3d5.2 installed.  Everything is updated and no overclocking.  I'm installing mfs2020 now to see if my card is alright.  FML!!!!!

2 hours ago, dufus01 said:

Well tried the edit at 60 and at 0 with no joy.  I can't figure it out as it is a brand new computer with just p3d5.2 installed.  Everything is updated and no overclocking.  I'm installing mfs2020 now to see if my card is alright.  FML!!!!!

I delete the direct x shaders cache folder before I fly..Haven’t had a hang lately..Use window disk cleaner..

• Like 1

Maurice J

I7 7700k 4.7 \ EVGA 1080ti \ G-Skill 32GB \ Samsung 4K TV

5 hours ago, dufus01 said:

Did you change the Registry exactly as described here...

So to summarise what seems to work for me is this:-

• Start RegEdit in Admin mode.
  • Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\GraphicsDrivers
  • Right-click right pane and choose New.. DWORD (32-bit) Value
  • Name it TdrDelay. Double-click it and enter a value of 60 decimal
  • Right-click right pane and choose New.. DWORD (32-bit) Value
  • Name it TdrDdiDelay. Double-click it and enter a value of 60 decimal
  • Exit RegEdit and reboot.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Yes sir I did.  Just finished a two hour flight on fs2020 with everything on ultra and it was smooth without any hiccups.   I bought this computer for p3d, not 2020 and it kills me that I can't even fly the  r22 for more than five minutes before i get the hung device crash.  Guess I'll put p3d on the back burner till they fix the issue.

Edited by dufus01
Swearing not allowes

@dufus01, strange. With the 471.96 drivers I’ve not had a single occurrence of the DXGI HUNG issue since making those Registry entries.

MSFS is DX11 so unlikely to suffer these problems. As to who will fix the issue choose from Microsoft, Nvidia or LM. No one is admitting anything.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Psolk

I am using driver 471.11, I followed the instruction that Ray summaries  in his post this page.....

percy.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

As to who will fix the issue choose from Microsoft, Nvidia or LM. No one is admitting anything.

neither will admit it. ever.  Its money.

14ppkc-6.png