Sign in to follow this  
mobeans10

Screen Freezing with G2 - VR temp monitor ?

No CTD, but recently I've been getting screen freezes where the image freezes and the whole image moves with the headset. If you ever get one it's instant nausea so instant headset removal. I've always exited at this point so never checked to see if it comes back or not. I thought this might be tied to high cpu/gpu temps as I recently changed my smart fan profile in the bios due to excessive noise. I switched it back this morning but had another freeze after about an hour. I'm still suspicious of the temps so is there any way to monitor them in VR ?

I use MSI afterburner to monitor temps, there's loads of other programs and utilities out there, so just do a Google search for your card make and  temp monitor and you'll find one.

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

I think FPSVR can display all that information if you use SteamVR, other than that not sure.

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

The Gen 1 has a tendency to do this too in certain circumstances.  The good news is that it is usually easily fixed.

It is usually because the headset has momentarily lost its tracking.  The effect is exactly as you describe - the whole scene locks itself to your screen so as you move your head, the view follows round with you. 

Actually, rather than switch off, you will probably find that if you just push your chair back a few feet, it will click back to normal.

The easy fix on mine is:

Making sure that there is plenty of light so that the tracking cameras aren't confused by the bright and moving image on the monitor screen but, instead, can still see the other objects in the room to lock onto for its orientation.  Daytime should be OK, but in the evening I make sure all the lights are on.

For the same reason, I find it best not to be physically too close to the monitor.  My computer table isn't deep enough to push the monitor back far enough and so I've set up a small table in front of my PC desk for the mouse/joystick/keyboard to be on when I'm using the sim that gets me a few feet further away from the screen.

It is worth remembering that, because there are no fixed base stations for the tracking of the headset as there are with some other headsets, the Reverb is using its cameras to see fixed objects in the room to know where it is.  If it can't see those objects, then it doesn't know where it is and gets confused.

Edited by AJZip

Ryzen 7 7700x @5.5GHz; ASUS X670-P Motherboard; nVidia 4080 (factory o/c); 32G 5600MHz DDR5 SDRAM; HP Reverb G2

@MarcG. I think you are correct about FPS VR when using Steam VR. I should have mentioned that I'm using OpenXR but didn't realize that would make a difference until after I had posted and had dug a little deeper.

@AJZip. Thanks for the tip. Will certainly give this a go.

• Like 2