Sign in to follow this  
RobJC

What would it take for LR and/or LM to win your money back?

Interesting question. I think FS2020 is an all-purpose product, and that this is its weakness. 

It is also on of its strengths, because it widens its potential market to virtually every single person with a  PC or an XBOX. 

If LR and LM also want to keep their all-purpose model, it's tough. They need Google maps, of course (it would be even better than MS) and some technologies. Hard to do.

Thinking out of the box, I would gladly put my money on a product that would give me the experience of an airliner. Just one: let's say the 737 family. So I could expect a flight model and aircraft simulation at the PSX level (and no third party addons). Scenery: only what is needed in an airliner: great looking airports and synth scenery on well scaled sat images. Perfect night lighting, great cockpit, great weather and seasons, and a perfect ATC with real world traffic. No external view, only cockpit view. No pauses, hiccups, stutters, just fluid flight at 72 fps. Alas, no console version 😕

I would be ready to pay big for this. And no, I can't afford a level-d sim.

A.

26 minutes ago, abrams_tank said:

Sadly for both P3D and X-Plane, it's not just the graphics that they have to close the gap with.  Even if they can close the gap with graphics, I have no idea how they can match MSFS in FPS. The brilliance with MSFS now is how they managed to get such high FPS off what is already stellar graphics.

You would have to be quite a saleperson to talk someone into adopting a sim with less quality  graphics and performance as well. 

• Like 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

11 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

You would have to be quite a saleperson to talk someone into adopting a sim with less quality graphics and performance as well. 

I think the sentence above perfectly summarizes this entire thread. Even those people who are religiously defending X-Plane and P3D are probably going to think twice before they actually spend real money buying another version of a sim with inferior graphics and inferior performance. If I were Austin Meyer, I'd be submitting a resume to Asobo. They'd probably love to have him on their team.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

Did the OP really think somebody would say something positive about either company.  

It seems to be just another ***t on other companies simulators topic.

• Like 2

Sean Green

1 hour ago, bofhlusr said:

For LR/LM to survive, in addition to MSFS tech, they also need to:

1. partner with Google,
2. add shooting capabilities ala DCS (warplanes now in P3D, MSFS, and XP that don't shoot guns makes me think of condoms and shaking hands with gloves)
3. add first person shooter (FPS) game-like capabilities. 

For the latter, an example scenario would be for the pilot to walk out of the plane, gather supplies and spare parts so as to escape a horde of zombies, or free hostages deep in the mountainous regions of Hostagestan.

P3Dwolf!

Castle P3Dwolfenstein !

Squawk...there's another Fokker hiding behind the green wardrobe!

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

I still think it all depends what you want from your sim. I put most of my time into FSX and never made the leap over to XPlane, I was fairly happy to leave FSX behind but I could totally understand someone continuing to use either platform if they have spent good money and time to create a stable flight simulation experience that works for their taste or use case. XPlane is a fine simulation that promises a complex aerodynamic system and is a great base for a really fleshed out experience at whatever level you wish.

P3D has it's market for those willing to pay the fees and have something more towards a certified sim rig. Again it can become whatever fleshed out experience you like with it's thousands of stable add ons. These sims offer enough unique content and enough desirable features to have a market, it just may not be anywhere near as big as it was since MSFS launched.

MSFS can appeal to the same sort of people as XPlane and P3D but has opened up a fresh section of the market with the Xbox release. I'd have loved it if I could have ran a flight sim on the consoles I had growing up, I'd have started in this hobby much much earlier in life.

Currently circumnavigating the world in a mix of Cessna and Piper aircraft. 

My Default Setup; MSFS, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster Hotas X, TrackIR, Samsung Galaxy Tab, JustFlight Piper Arrow. Simworks Quest Kodiak 100. 

Wishlist; Honeycomb Bravo, Honeycomb Charlie.

1:400 Airline Model Collector.

Ford is better than Chevrolet, Ferrari is better than Lamborghini, Sofia is better looking than Gina, and mine's bigger than yours. 

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

37 minutes ago, W2DR said:

Ford is better than Chevrolet, Ferrari is better than Lamborghini, Sofia is better looking than Gina, and mine's bigger than yours. 

Since you have 100TB of disk storage, yours is definitely bigger. No question about it. 🙂

• Like 1

Hardware: i7-8700k, GTX 1070-ti, 32GB ram, NVMe/SSD drives with lots of free space.
Software: latest Windows 10 Pro, P3Dv4.5+, FSX Steam, and lots of addons (100+ mostly Orbx stuff).

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

2 hours ago, sgreen91 said:

Did the OP really think somebody would say something positive about either company.  

It seems to be just another ***t on other companies simulators topic.

Not really. Some of us are adults. Like I said in my original post, what would either company have to do to change your mind about putting money into their product? Maybe there is a strategy to do that? Just because I can't think of one, there still could be a place for them. 

Edited by RobJC

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

1 hour ago, W2DR said:

But are we really comparing Ford to Chevrolet or Ferrari to Lamborghini? I think the current comparison goes way beyond brand loyalty. There is significant differences. 

• Like 2

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

Of course there are differences. LM's main concern is flight simulation and training while MSFS is mainly concerned with eye-candy.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

3 hours ago, W2DR said:

There hasn’t been much difference in automobile technology in the last 10 years.  But the technology gap between MSFS and P3D/X-Plane is huge and it’s like P3D/X-Plane is using technology from 10 years ago, which is a lot in the world of software and gaming.

The equivalent in terms of automobile technology is say, 50 years, which then becomes noticeable in automobile technology,  So Ford has a car that is 50 years more advanced than Chevrolet and they are the same price.  However, you need to get this add-on and that add-on for the Chevrolet car, spending an additional 5 times the price of the Ford car, and even with all those add-ons, the Ford car is still 40 years more advanced than the Chevrolet car.  A rational consumer will just buy the Ford car.

Edited by abrams_tank
  • Like 1

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

4 hours ago, David Mills said:

If I were Austin Meyer, I'd be submitting a resume to Asobo. They'd probably love to have him on their team.

I don't think Austin has the temperament to work under others. It's one reason why I doubt (but don't discount) a partnership with Google; I think it would mean giving up too much control of his baby.

• Like 1

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

For me X-Plane and P3D/MSFS are just 2 different sims.

Like Windows = MSFS

Mac = X-Plane

P3D will have to fight real hard, but they're actually being kicked out pretty soon. They just can't cope the visuals of MSFS. X-Plane 11 on the other side, is a sim that just stands there at the side line like it always have been since the early simulators. X-Plane has not much to fear they've been independent for a long time and is another bread altogether.

Anyway putting money in P3D is probs not a smart move to do anymore. X-Plane or MSFS is no problems.

Simply supporting WIN7 holds my money for LR then.

MS and LM won't get my money still for few more years I could see.