Sign in to follow this  
cklink

Which one - FS Genesis or FS Global X?

Guest cbeal

I've read various posts from users who have these add-ons in FS9, and both seem to have good reviews. What about FSX? What are the impressions so far?One complaint that I have about FSG is that on their website I can't find any screenshots. On a few posts here I've seen some before and after shots and it looks impressive. If the FSG site has screenshots, I can't find them!!!Which one is preferred for FSX by the avsim community?Thanks,C.

CraigI haven't tried FS Global X but have looked at the screenshots.I do have FS Genesis North America Terrain for FSX and am quite happy with it. I also have the same for FS9.You won't find any better service than you get from FS Genesis, that I can tell you.Craig ASUS A8N- nForce SLI Chipset SATA RAID Dual PCIe MOBOAMD ATHLON64 3500+ CPU w/ HT TechLG GWA-4161 DVD/CDSeagate ST3160811AS 160GB Barracuda 9 7200RPM 8MB SATA II 3Gb/s NCQSeagate ST3160811AS 250GB Barracuda 9 7200RPM 8MB SATA II 3Gb/s NCQEVGA 7950 GT KO PCIe 512mb nvodngov19147-[Guru3D.com] drivers SB Audigy 22G Corsair PC 3200 400MHZ Dual Channel DDR Super Alien 500W P/STrack IR3 w/vectorCH Yolk & RuddersFS Genesis Terrain MeshActive SkyRC4

Guest Hocking

I can't say anything from actual experience, because I don't currently own either. I intend on buying some Terrain Mesh, Landclass, and other terrain products whenever I get FSX up and running.You will want to go to FSGenesis website to see what all they have available. From my web research, it appears as if FSGenesis will offer more specialized highly detailed products for certain areas than what FX Global does. For example, FS Global will offer you a standard level of Terrain Mesh at a certain resolution for the entire world. I think certain parts of the world will have higher resolutions than others in FS Global, but for the most part there will only be 2 or 3 different resolutions of mesh provided.FSGenesis will offer several different products that cover different areas at differing levels of resolution. You could then buy high resolution mesh for the areas you fly in, and not buy anything for other areas you don't fly in, or lower levels of resolution for areas you don't fly in very often. This means that FSGenesis appears to be a little more customizable than FS Global based on where you fly at. I may be completely off base here, so if anybody reads this and wants to correct me please do. This is what I think I am finding out when I compare the two companies.

I have FSGenesis for FSX, the one that covers North America, and while I notice and enjoy the improved terrain visuals, there is a terrible side effect, most of the airports are elevated, as in they look like they're built on a plateau or on top of a large hill. Not sure if FS Global does the same, but for me it's a show stopper and I have since uninstalled FSX and reinstalled without FSGenesis. I don't think they disclose that little piece of information in the product description, so make sure you're willing to live with that before you purchase.Jeff

Jeff

Commercial | Instrument | Multi-Engine Land

AMD 5600X, RTX3070, 32MB RAM, 2TB SSD

Just curious.....why did you uninstall FSX? Why not just uninstall FS Genesis and let FSX rebuild the scenery files and then defrag? Craig

That's funny, I'm not sure.JeffEdit, actually I remember now, I thought I was going to get Vista, so I cleaned up my HD and made DVD backups of all my downloads because I'm OCD and wanted my reformat before Vista to go smoothly. Anyway, I decided to wait on Vista.

Jeff

Mainly due to the flat runways/round earth in FSX to my knowledge. I would expect unless they manually flattened the airports - it might be the same?From my understanding the mesh is accurate, its the elevations of the airports being placed at the highest point. I am wondering if what Phil mentioned about SP1 "adding round earth corrections" will fix some of them, or if it will still take manual flattening.I have FSG, and my preference is I can live with some elevated airports for the benefits of havings more detailed mountains etc. To me its like the FSX settings trade off, lightbloom or fps - pick "one". ;)If you click on the FAQ in the main menu bar or from the product menu, Justin explains this a little better, as well as more info about settings / perfromance etc.Garett

Garett,I'm hoping that the "round earth corrections" will fix this issue as like I said, is a show stopper for me. As far as manual flattening, do you know how to do this? I would definitely reinstall FSGenesis if I knew of a way to make all of my airports blend in with the surrounding terrain.Jeff

Jeff

If you have the extra cash, go for a FSG Galaxy Membership. It gives you every file they release and all updates. I have had it for at least a year and I think it is one of the best add ons I have purchased.

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

"As far as manual flattening, do you know how to do this?"Not yet - I'm trying to learn. I've been reading/using the SDK and sponging info over at FSdevelopers etc. I figured out how to do landclass stuff and basic scenery addons with the SDK, and this is next on my list. ;)I fly lots off small airports in western canada/AK, and I have a few I want to fix. I could always wait and hope someone does it with a scenery package, but that might be awhile so I figure I'll try it myself. I'm enjoying trying to "expand" my hobby past the flying part anyways.Besides I've yet to see any scenery packages for "Scar Creek" LOL.Regards'Garett

Guest cbeal

It does help!!Thanks Justin,Chris

LOL :DSome days I wonder if your a real person or this virtual cyborg created in a secret lab with other MSFS scenery diehards (buried deep within a mountian in central BC) and humbly refered to as the "Omniscient Narrator of Scenery" - Code name "Holger".LOL - Thanks Holger, yet again ..Best Regards'Garett