Sign in to follow this  
Saucey12

Scenery settings?

Hello everyone.  I need some advice of FSX scenery settings to increase my frame rates and get rid of the jumpiness in scenery dense areas.  I recently purchased the global scenery update from Orbx . ( which has been around for years, but yes I just now purchased and installed).  Before this update I had no issues and now that I am flying near scenery dense areas It does not perform well.  Should I just go to the FSX scenery settings and tone it down a bit? Or is their a better way?   I assure I do not have a hardware issue because I am running with an I7 processor and a nvdia 1050 graphics card with FSX installed onto a SSD.  

I am just fishing for ideas on the best settings I could get from you guys who have experience with years of scenery ad-ons.  

Thanks in advance, 
Jason

With ORBX FTX Global High Autogen Density is the highest you may want to go.

Maxxed water slider will cost you performance also.

Anything higher than 9% road traffic will cost you.

Some payware aircraft are just a whole performance culprit on their own and will just compound the scenery performance tax even harder. 

Edited by blueshark747
  • Upvote 1

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

18 hours ago, blueshark747 said:

With ORBX FTX Global High Autogen Density is the highest you may want to go.

Maxxed water slider will cost you performance also.

Anything higher than 9% road traffic will cost you.

Some payware aircraft are just a whole performance culprit on their own and will just compound the scenery performance tax even harder. 

Thanks. I followed the recommendations by orbx and my frame rates still suck around metro areas. My fpm goes from 30 to down near 10 in the MSP area . 

Orbx Central is phoning home regularely (or trying to phone home).
This causes drop of framerates and/or (micro-)stutterers.

Why not using photoreal sceneries? Looks much more better and is very performant.

If you want to take a look on screenshots with photoreal sceneries:
https://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/164647-junes-sreenshot-contest-throwback-sim-shots/&do=findComment&comment=1047101 
There you can find several links to my former screenshot threads in that forum.

Torsten

@Saucey12 Also any cloud addon ie REX/Active Sky is another performance tax culprit.

It's really a fine balancing act of compromising. 

Depending on the aircraft I only compromise Autogen Density between Normal or High.

These metro areas will always be problematic on performance with ORBX in FSX

Miami/Fort Lauderdale 

Los Angeles

Toronto

New York City

Paris

Sydney

San Diego

Just a ton going on in those areas with multiple airports especially with ai traffic on.

Edited by blueshark747

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

Hi Jason,

Always worth having a look at the Avsim FSX Configuration guide and setting up everything by going through it step by step.I did that years ago and it has served me well in terms of FSX performance and stability. But, as has already being mentioned it is a balancing act!

AVSIM Basic FSX Configuration Guide - AVSIM Publications - The AVSIM Community

Bill

Thank you all so much!  I have done a lot of tweaking each day I get to fly.. It's gotten a little better but, and Bill thanks, I had forgotten there is a configuration guide on this site.. 

On 9/16/2021 at 7:06 AM, scianoir said:

Hi Jason,

Always worth having a look at the Avsim FSX Configuration guide and setting up everything by going through it step by step.I did that years ago and it has served me well in terms of FSX performance and stability. But, as has already being mentioned it is a balancing act!

AVSIM Basic FSX Configuration Guide - AVSIM Publications - The AVSIM Community

Bill

I followed the tweaks according to this guide and it certainly improved things as I can tell so far.. I am getting better frame rates and less jagged edges (due to the antiliasing fix).  I appreciate the recommendation!