Sign in to follow this  
Noel

If you run MSFS locked at 30fps w/ Vsync on please respond.

If you run MSFS locked at 30fps w/ Vsync on...  

96 members have voted

1. 1. If you run MSFS locked at 30fps w/ Vsync on, do you find it fluid and stutter-free now, post WU6?

• Yes, I find it fluid and stutter-free to a high level and I'd rather have the greater graphic complexity and processing overhead that the lower frame lock affords.
    • I like chocolate or vanilla ice cream

I kind of agree that this seems to be a rather self serving poll, or rather it's worded such that it sounds that way.

My thoughts on poll prompts: 

• I use blah
  • Other blahs are what I use
  • I don't know anything about blahs

Sounds less biased, clearly covers more base IMO. Sorry for butting in, now back to flying

• Like 1

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

1 hour ago, nbhall68 said:

Is there a point to this thread?  If so, I've lost it.

It's just a poll.  Respond if, as the poll clearly states, you are among users who run MSFS locked at 30fps w/ Vsync on.  If you don't, just ignore it as it doesn't apply to you.

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

1 hour ago, TheFamilyMan said:

I kind of agree that this seems to be a rather self serving poll, or rather it's worded such that it sounds that way

Rod, it's only, as the title states, for people who run MSFS locked at 30fps w/ Vsync on.  If that's not you, best as you say go back to flying.   It's only a way of counting how many find 30FPS vsynced find the sim both fluid and stutter-free, nothing more, nothing less.

Fabulous flight sim isn't it?  Can't believe how much more I fly now than I ever did in decades of FSX/P3D.  Looking forward greatly to the PMDG 737 NG.

Edited by Noel

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

7 hours ago, RudyB24 said:

I run capped at 30fps deliberately as a trade off between a high/ultra settings mix on 4k while at the same time still giving my 3070 video card a bit of headroom.

That's pretty much it for me Rudy, and thankfully as the poll defines I find it both fluid and stutter-free.

7 hours ago, RudyB24 said:

I use the 30fps cap in the nVidia settings panel. In the MSFS settings I leave Vsync off. If I use the Vsync 30Hz inside MSFS (and not use the nVidia cap at the same time) then the graphics are somehow more 'stuttery'

Why 30 then, w/ Gsync can't you do 32, 35 or some other value? 

Edited by Noel

Noel

Hi,

I thought G sync was working only for frame rates above 60fps. Am I wrong ?

Pierre

12 minutes ago, Pochi said:

thought G sync was working only for frame rates above 60fps.

GSync can lock at various frame rates - using 40 at the moment with very good results…

@Noel I could do that, 32,34, or 40. Some test flying low above dense cities like Paris or NY showed frame rates could get close to 30 or even below, at least in older MSFS versions, I need to test again with the latest versions or soon 6 but I have been too busy to fly lately. At that time 30 looked like a good compromise.

• Upvote 1

Always have fun --0-- Flight Sim Navigation

13 hours ago, Pochi said:

Hi,

I thought G sync was working only for frame rates above 60fps. Am I wrong ?

Pierre

True G-Sync (Hardware) works all the way down from 1hz, G-Sync compatible from 38hz (I think)

• Like 1

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

13 minutes ago, Ixoye said:

G-Sync compatible from 38hz (I think)

Depends on the monitor/tv. A lot start at 44. There is a list on the nvidia site that’s shows you the VRR for them all. 

VSync on, 30fps limited, (at MSFS settings). All OK and no stutters here.

Somebody suggested is better to set that at the NVidia panel,  which I did , with 30 fps limited, and disabling VSync from MSFS, but it didnt work, the limit is not respected, it seems that MSFS overrides the NVPanel  settings

2 hours ago, solito said:

VSync on, 30fps limited, (at MSFS settings). All OK and no stutters here.

Somebody suggested is better to set that at the NVidia panel,  which I did , with 30 fps limited, and disabling VSync from MSFS, but it didnt work, the limit is not respected, it seems that MSFS overrides the NVPanel  settings

This was my experience as well, so stuck w/ vsync at 30fps MSFS settings, or half the 60Hz refresh rate.

Noel

I have a high end PC and run MSFS at 4k locked at 30fps, I see no difference in quality or smoothness at higher fps, so why stress your machine?

Asus Maximus Hero X11, Intel i9 10850k, 32gb Corsair Dominator ram, 2tb Corsair mp510 ssd  m2, Gigybyte turbo RTX 3090

47 minutes ago, Scimiter said:

I have a high end PC and run MSFS at 4k locked at 30fps, I see no difference in quality or smoothness at higher fps, so why stress your machine?

That's because there is no difference at higher fps. I was determined to run mine at 60fps for the longest time as I finally had a system that could do that but having switched back to 30 the only difference I noticed is that my GPU was a lot quieter and cooler. There was no loss of quality or smoothness at all. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 6297J said:

That's because there is no difference at higher fps. I was determined to run mine at 60fps for the longest time as I finally had a system that could do that but having switched back to 30 the only difference I noticed is that my GPU was a lot quieter and cooler. There was no loss of quality or smoothness at all. 

Some people just chase fps, there is no need in a flight sim, 30fps is adequate, as you say your machine runs quieter and cooler at the lower fps. 

Asus Maximus Hero X11, Intel i9 10850k, 32gb Corsair Dominator ram, 2tb Corsair mp510 ssd  m2, Gigybyte turbo RTX 3090