Sign in to follow this  
mSparks

XP12 system requirements

1 hour ago, mSparks said:

Plus devices like the steam deck are the future of gaming/simming

I have purchased a Steam Deck but I would *never* use it for flight-simulation! The Steam Deck has integrated RDNA2 graphics focusing mostly on playing AAA games @ 720p or emulation. How can such a device be the future of FS?? How can you compare a minuscule screen, at a low resolution and sub-par controls with a gaming rig, OLEV TD/VR and high-quality controls? The Deck is nowhere near powerful enough to drive higher-res screens or VR goggles.

If you said that the cloud is the future of gaming (and perhaps) simming, I might have agreed. Currently I am using Xcloud on my iPhone + Razer Kishi and the results are so convincing that I am beginning to question the need for a device such a the Steam Deck...

Edited by GCBraun

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

Just now, Humpty said:

I only showed you that Intel GPU has Vulkan support 

But not the vulkan drivers needed for XP11, let alone XP12.

AutoATC Developer

2 minutes ago, GCBraun said:

How can such a device be the future of FS

120fps at 4k docked - more than enough for VR in XP12. Good luck finding a windows PC that can do that for $400.

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

2 minutes ago, mSparks said:

most of the hits I just got looking for windows laptops that arent intel are mostly amd R3s, (although here they dont even sell them them with windows)

e.g.

https://vacom.hr/proizvod/laptop-acer-aspire-3-a314-nx-herex-008-14-amd-8-gb-amd-radeon-r3-256-gb-ssd-freedos-crna/

I dont see R3 in your list?

Now I doubt there any windows PC even now in the $600 range that will run XP12.

steam deck is starting at $400US btw.

Dude just stop. Hardware is not your thing. You have no understanding of it and every post just emphasis your lack of knowledge. You live in a different reality than the rest of the world.   

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

Just now, mSparks said:

But not the vulkan drivers needed for XP11, let alone XP12.

Honestly it was just regarding Vulkan being supported , if XP runs on it or not is a different thing, that's why ijust go through your post in that thread where you mentioned that they are only using Opengl and also you mentioned that intel GPU has no vulkan drivers , to clear the confusion.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

6 minutes ago, mSparks said:

120fps at 4k docked - more than enough for VR in XP12. Good luck finding a windows PC that can do that for $400.

That is just impossible. The Deck runs integrated graphics @ 15W and nothing indicates that the chip will get more power when docked. 

On the other hand, I could run MSFS on the cloud with a $50 phone or HDMI-stick...

• Like 1

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

5 minutes ago, Humpty said:

Honestly it was just regarding Vulkan being supported , if XP runs on it or not is a different thing, that's why ijust go through your post in that thread where you mentioned that they are only using Opengl and also you mentioned that intel GPU has no vulkan drivers , to clear the confusion

that machine you posted can run xp11 in opengl and also msfs in dx11 and also dx12 when it releases.

it will not run xp11 in vulkan or xp12 at all, because it doesnt have the required vulkan driver and intel have no plans to make one (afaik).

AutoATC Developer

That is just impossible. The Deck runs integrated graphics @ 15W

it runs doom eternal at good fps

xp12 will have no problem.

also not released until december, so interested how you got one so soon.

AutoATC Developer

7 minutes ago, mSparks said:

that machine you posted can run xp11 in opengl and also msfs in dx11 and also dx12 when it releases.

it will not run xp11 in vulkan or xp12 at all, because it doesnt have the required vulkan driver and intel have no plans to make one (afaik).

think you are not understanding , who said i want to run xp on that laptop, please revisit that thread to clear your confusion

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

13 minutes ago, mSparks said:

it runs doom eternal at good fps

xp12 will have no problem.

also not released until december, so interested how you got one so soon.

That´s what I said: the goal of the Steam Deck is to play AAA games at a low resolution, not at 4K! Doom is one of the best optimized games in the industry! You won´t be able to hook this into a 48" TV and run X-Plane @ 4K...you might run it at the device´s native resolution (720p), but that will look like **** in a desktop setup.

And I´ve purchased it, but, of course, not received it yet.

Edited by GCBraun
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Humpty said:

think you are not understanding , who said i want to run xp on that laptop, please revisit that thread to clear your confusion

its the machine they have, as do 60-80% of all "windows pc" users. therefore targetting "windows pc" means having something that runs on that machine.

They are not and nor should they.

AutoATC Developer

That´s what I said: the goal of the Steam Deck is to play AAA games at a low resolution, not at 4K! Doom is one of the best optimized games in the industry! You won´t be able to hook this into a 48" TV and run X-Plane @ 4K...you might run it at the device´s native resolution (720p), but that will look like word not allowed in a desktop setup.

And I´ve purchased it, but have not received it yet.

its specs are quoted as

Display
  • 7-inch, 1280 × 800 LCD, native 720p @ 60Hz
  • Docked: Up to 8k @ 60Hz or 4k @ 120Hz

more than enough for something that runs well on a gtx 1070 (that iirc cant do 4k at 120fps)

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

2 minutes ago, mSparks said:

its specs are quoted as

Display
  • 7-inch, 1280 × 800 LCD, native 720p @ 60Hz
  • Docked: Up to 8k @ 60Hz or 4k @ 120Hz

more than enough for something that runs well on a gtx 1070

It has a RDNA2 chip @ 15 watts *able* to run up to 8K in desktop mode. Just for comparison, the Xbox Series S has a RDNA2 chip @ 100 watts and it is not able to run MSFS in 4K...

The Deck will run XP12 @ 720p in a very limited fashion and that´s it. It is not the future of flight-simming...

Edited by GCBraun
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, GCBraun said:

It has a RDNA2 chip @ 15 watts *able* to run up to 8K in desktop mode. Just for comparison, the Xbox Series S has a RDNA2 chip @ 100 watts and it is not able to run MSFS in 4K...

The Deck will run XP12 @ 720p in a very limited fashion and that´s it. It is not the future of flight-simming...

wont "particularly" disagree but I think you are under estimating the perf of the deck, and over estimating the perf requirements of xp12, rdna2 is phenomenal hardware, its just been severely let down by its drivers.

Or to put it another way, yes I do expect the deck to get better perf at 15watts than a series s at 100watts.

after all, its not wasting 95watts on the garbage windows kernel (semi joking) and xp12 is a truly next gen title needing next gen hardware (unlike msfs which will run on a 5 year old windows laptop with intel gpu and has no next gen feature requirements).

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

10 minutes ago, mSparks said:

after all, its not wasting 95watts on the garbage windows kernel (semi joking) and xp12 is a truly next gen title needing next gen hardware.

Well, I am running MSFS @ 4K/Ultra/60 fps almost constantly nowadays, whereas I have re-installed XP11 and the performance is considerably worse on similar conditions. Let´s hope that XP12 can catch up...

Edited by GCBraun