Sign in to follow this  
psolk

XBox FPS Game Boost

So it appears MS have found a way of doubling performance on X-Box Series S and Series X.  Little to no developer effort and they are doubling and in some cases 4x improving the performance of games on XBox striving for 4K 60/120FPS.  Hopefully that's good news for MSFS as well.  It appears the major game dev's are on board as well.  I wonder what MS has done with the console to literally double performance in these titles and if they could do it with MSFS on the PC and console too 😉  Anyone more intelligent than myself (that leaves this wide open) know how they have achieved this?  Have they just been Software locking the titles and now unlocked them?  I'm curious how they literally double performance in titles with little to no dev input.  I'm not a console guy but there are some titles MSFS included I wouldn't mind seeing on my 85 inch 4k downstairs lol... 

https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-fps-boost

With the arrival of Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S, Microsoft debuted FPS Boost, a new system-level feature designed to bolster performance across backward compatible titles. This trickery alters how games play with no developer input or code changes, unbinding titles from their previous locked framerates. Whereas one title may have targeted 30 frames per second (FPS) on Xbox One consoles, FPS Boost tweaks it to run at 60 FPS on Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S consoles.

Next-generation Xbox hardware has seen games targeting higher framerates than ever before, with titles frequently hitting 60 FPS and 120 FPS. The higher the framerate, the more frames outputted to your display each second, resulting in more fluid and responsive gameplay. But refreshing the outputted image more frequently asks more from the system, pushing intensive titles to compromise with lower framerates.

While the Xbox One X hoped to deliver 4K resolution at 60 FPS, later years would expose several hardware limitations, with many graphically demanding releases settling at just 30 FPS. These games would be "locked" at fixed framerates in software, meaning they won't see improvements on Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S under normal conditions.

FPS Boost delivers a fast and easy way to bring higher framerates to existing Xbox One games on next-generation hardware without the additional development resources required for a formal Xbox Series X|S Optimized patch. It makes older titles automatically run smoother on the new systems, delivering a massive upgrade over standard backward compatibility.

The feature has since picked up support from top publishers like Electronic Arts, Ubisoft, Bethesda, and Square Enix, enhancing several top experiences from the Xbox One generation. With little work from game developers, expect more FPS Boost titles to hit Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S over the months ahead. The largest expansion of the feature brought over 70 new games with FPS Boost support, with Dark Souls III the most recent standalone addition.

Edited by psolk
  • Like 1

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

This applies to older games developed for the Xbox One generation being run on the new Xbox Series X/S, so it doesn't apply to current titles. As the article notes, many of those games had their frame rates deliberately capped by the developer to maintain decent performance. With the better hardware in the newer consoles, it looks like MS is allowing you to override that setting to hit higher frame rates.

18 hours ago, goates said:

This applies to older games developed for the Xbox One generation being run on the new Xbox Series X/S, so it doesn't apply to current titles. As the article notes, many of those games had their frame rates deliberately capped by the developer to maintain decent performance. With the better hardware in the newer consoles, it looks like MS is allowing you to override that setting to hit higher frame rates.

Thank you goates.  I literally know nothing about the console world...  I could just envision myself with MSFS running downstairs on my 85 inch while I sit and watch the world go by 🙂    Do you think they will make the same capability to override the FPS lock with later titles like MSFS as well or only titles made for XBox One?   Sorry if I am asking you to speculate for MS LOL...  It does appear they are trying to get more and more titles to the 60/120 FPS mark to match the capabilities of today's displays.  

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

3 hours ago, psolk said:

Do you think they will make the same capability to override the FPS lock with later titles like MSFS as well or only titles made for XBox One?

No, I don't think they will. This goes back to the reason the developers had to put the cap on frame rates in the first place, which was that the Xbox One line of consoles weren't able to run those games smoothly at higher rates. Now that those games are running on far more powerful consoles, many can now run quite well with the rate limit removed. For a current game designed for the Xbox Series X/S with a capped frame rate, however, removing it will just get you into problems.

I haven't run it on a console myself yet, but I don't see why you couldn't enjoy the sim as is right now on your 85" TV.