Sign in to follow this  
Bert Pieke

G1000NXi looking good!

I am amazed at the excellent results from WT on this G1000. It has made the IFR flying experience so enjoyable to me, that I spend much less time dwelling on the forums. The new Kodiak 100 will be available with the NXi in the next few weeks (I think) and boy will i have fun with that one!

• Like 4

Dave Swigert

WIN 10/  i7-9700K@4.8 GHz/ 32 GB ram/ BENQ BL3200 monitor/ NVIDIA GTX1080 TI video

Oh man the Kodiak will support the NXi?  That will be the bees knees.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

It truly is an inspired piece of software, a labor of love which keeps getting better and better.   Every new release is like opening a present and discovering what's inside the box.

My favorite feature of the NXi (aside from keyboard input) is support for mapping G1000 controls like the FMS double encoder knob/pushbutton,  and the MFD's range knob.   

LesOReilly posted this video which shows Spad.Next and the Logi Radio Panel,  but the same variables work with other profiling software.  I used it to map the FMS and MFD range functions to a HAT switch just to check them out.   

It's so nice being able to do things like enter waypoints or zoom the map range without using a mouse.   I looked at the Knobster and it's DIY equivalent yesterday,  but decided to pick up a logi radio panel instead since it's around the same price as a Knobster.   

Something like one of Derek Speare's button boxes would be a good cost effective "premade" option too,  like this model which has 5 rotary encoders.   http://derekspearedesigns.com/dsd-flight---flt1flt2.html

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MattNischan said:

Thanks Bert, that's very kind!

I'm actually somewhat amused as to how little traction or attention the NXi has gotten on these forums. I seem to recall this crowd yelling somewhat the loudest about how poor the original G1000 was, but relatively little fanfare about one that now does all the IFR stuff everyone wanted in the first place (and a good deal more).

Of course, we're not powered by fanfare, so we'll keep on building the thing out, because we actually really enjoy flying it too! 😉

-Matt

I, for one, am too busy enjoying it to shout about it here 👍🏼🙂

• Like 3

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

I don't have this 'gauge' however don't fully understand something.  How can this item fly RNAV with a vertical profile?  I understood that the vertical component can not work in the current iteration of MSFS, and that is why it is unavailable in not only the default aircraft but also the most well regarded mods payware or freeware (i.e. FBW).  I thought this was a base sim thing that only Asobo can address.

What am I missing?

Edited by Mike S KPDX

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

There are currently 3 versions of the G1000 for MSFS.   

1) The default version which was coded by Asobo,  and shipped with the default G1000 aircraft.    Very basic,  lacked advanced features,  and had several stability issues / bugs.

2) The Working Title Garmin 1000 mod.  A vast improvement.  Created by the Working Title group as a mod,  to fix issues with the default G1000 bugs and add missing features.  Subsequently recognized by Asobo,  and Asobo then hired the Working Title team to work on the core sim.   This version is available on GitHub,  or WT's site.  https://www.workingtitle.aero/

3) The Working Title Garmin 1000 NXi.    Entirely new package,  written from scratch. Currently in developmental stage,  available only from the MSFS Marketplace.   Lacks a few basic features which are present in the WT G1000 non NXi version,  but adds many useful features not present in the NXi version.

• Like 1

VNAV and RNAV with full vertical profile has been available in the Working Title CJ4 for around 9 months now. Both in the CJ4 and in the NXi, we do not fly with the stock sim RNAV, instead we have a customized avionics specific autopilot system that interfaces with the sim autopilot (in the CJ4, we drive using HDG and VS under the hood, in the NXi we use straight pitch and roll hold under the hood, which is more advanced). However, this is powered by data that has been in the sim since day one: the navdata available includes all the necessary altitude restriction and lateral information to fully build any type of approach possible. All of this information is freely available via the Javascript instrument APIs.

Most of the reason why it's taken a while for everyone to add these features is because building them is just incredibly difficult. Creating proper vectorized flight paths for any combination of the 23 ARINC leg types is a huge undertaking; in the NXi we have an enormous chunk of the software dedicated just to the large amount of spherical trig, great circle to small circle intersections, linear maths, etc. However, the Salty 747 and the Heavy Division 787 are now using versions of the WT CJ4 era flight plan/nav/vnav code, and FBW has a more modified version of the CJ4 era flight plan code coupled with their own extensions (I understand they're still working on their VNAV).

-Matt

• Like 12

8 minutes ago, Mike S KPDX said:

What am I missing?

That you can always just build systems yourself. The only issue being that programming vnav for flightsims faces the same issue as progamming vnav for real life systems: it's really word not allowed complicated.

• Like 1

Asobo has hired WT to fix (change) the base by the end of the project. That is what is happening with this beta.

Edited by Eclex

Dave Swigert

WIN 10/  i7-9700K@4.8 GHz/ 32 GB ram/ BENQ BL3200 monitor/ NVIDIA GTX1080 TI video

I have the G750 installed for use in a number of aircraft, but specifically I got it for the H145 helicopter.  The G1000 NXi has not played nicely with the G750 in the past - does anyone know if they do work together without conflict yet?

Cheers,  Brian L Robinson

Flight Simmer since 1983 - loving the brilliant Quality Wings 787 and all PMDG models!!

2 hours ago, Eclex said:

I am amazed at the excellent results from WT on this G1000. It has made the IFR flying experience so enjoyable to me, that I spend much less time dwelling on the forums. The new Kodiak 100 will be available with the NXi in the next few weeks (I think) and boy will i have fun with that one!

Did you see a update? I'm trying to find current info on the Kodiak super excited for it too

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ozzieblr said:

I have the G750 installed for use in a number of aircraft, but specifically I got it for the H145 helicopter.  The G1000 NXi has not played nicely with the G750 in the past - does anyone know if they do work together without conflict yet?

I don't think they'd play nicely in the real world either - you have a duplication of authority and function.  The Garmin G3X and GTN750 go together (as the G3X relies on the GTN for it's GPS capabilities).  However the G1000 NXi is an integrated GPS/NAV/COM/TX/TCAS/WX system.  The GTN offers similar provisions, albeit in a cut down, lower-priced, small-screen, touch interface. 

I've never ever seen a G1000 and a GTN unit in the same aircraft together, and don't believe there'd ever be an advantage to such a pairing.

It's analogous to having two different Satnav models in your car, both trying to tell you how to get where you're going. 🙂

• Like 2

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

12 hours ago, Rimshot said:

Good to know it still works in the latest MSFS build, I hadn't tried yet.

I have flown my last 25 hours in it with the NXi and both are superb! 

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 2

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

6 hours ago, MattNischan said:

I'm actually somewhat amused as to how little traction or attention the NXi has gotten on these forums.

I am too. But rest assured that your team’s work is not going without notice or appreciation! As soon as my real world flying schedule lets up a bit, I hope to spend some more time with the sim. But what I have seen so far is exactly what this sim needed. The day that the underlying navigation model is integrated with the base sim will be a huge win for the platform! The casual user may not fully understand, but many of us do.

• Like 7

Chris

edit: ….so nice I had to post it twice apparently 

Edited by snglecoil
Duplicate post

Chris