Sign in to follow this  
kevinfirth

Benefits of MSFS

A friend of mine has an 13yo son, who has just got one of the new xbox's and bought himself MSFS.

Now he can't stop playing with it.  It's fair to say he wouldn't have been able to get into flight simming in any other meaningful way at the price point he has managed to, and it's ignited a love of flying, even if the virtual flying he's doing isn't anywhere near procedurally correct or aerodynamically advisable!

Hopefully he'll graduate to some more mature piloting skills in time, but it's good to see young people being inspired afresh.

• Like 21
  • Upvote 3

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas14 3200 DDR4; RTX3090

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

It started for me in the 80's on a friends dad's computer, with wireframe graphics and a simple joystick. Even though I didn't get a chance to repeat that experience for years it got me hooked although I did not know it at the time.

• Like 3

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

49 minutes ago, kevinfirth said:

A friend of mine has an 13yo son, who has just got one of the new xbox's and bought himself MSFS.

Now he can't stop playing with it.  It's fair to say he wouldn't have been able to get into flight simming in any other meaningful way at the price point he has managed to, and it's ignited a love of flying, even if the virtual flying he's doing isn't anywhere near procedurally correct or aerodynamically advisable!

Hopefully he'll graduate to some more mature piloting skills in time, but it's good to see young people being inspired afresh.

And I have been saying that all along. What would be the chances that same kid bump into P3D?Considering that MSFS will soon be available on every smartphone as well via the cloud, I am sure that many more youngsters will get access to it and that is just great!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

9 minutes ago, orchestra_nl said:

It started for me in the 80's on a friends dad's computer, with wireframe graphics and a simple joystick. Even though I didn't get a chance to repeat that experience for years it got me hooked although I did not know it at the time.

I first saw subLOGIC on an Apple II in my grade school cafeteria.

I later went on to become a commercial pilot, thanks to the inspiration from that and the Microsoft Flight Simulator versions that followed it.

Edited by Gulfstream
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, GCBraun said:

And I have been saying that all along. What would be the chances that same kid bump into P3D?Considering that MSFS will soon be available on every smartphone as well via the cloud, I am sure that many more youngsters will get access to it and that is just great!

MSFS on smartphones, where did you hear that? 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

1 hour ago, kevinfirth said:

For me it took my parents investing in a Commodore 64 which at the time was probably far more expensive than a console today and it came with an awesome green screen CRT monitor too 🙂  Oh how far we have come.  Simply awesome.  

• Like 1

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

13 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Via Xcloud. It will come sooner or later as almost all game pass titles are available there.

• Upvote 1

PC1: AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity | Asus TUF X670E-Plus | G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL30 | 4TB NVMe  | Noctua NH-D15 | Asus TUF 1000W Gold | be quiet! Pure Base 500DX | Noctua NH-D15S | LG OLED CX 48"

PC2: AMD Ryzen 7700X | PowerColor Radeon RX 6800 XT Red Dragon | MSI MPG B650I EDGE  ITX | G.SKILL Flare Expo X5 32GB DDR5 PC 6000 CL32 | 2TB NVMe  | Cooler Master Hyper | Lian Li 750W SFX Gold | Lian Li TU150 | SAMSUNG Odyssey G9 49"

GoFlight GF-PRO NG 737 Yoke System - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle - MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - TrackIR - Stream Deck XL + Stream Deck Plus

1 hour ago, Bobsk8 said:

On his smartphone.

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X, ASUS PRIME B450-PLUS DDR4 ATX Motherboard, 8GB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER, 32GB (2x16GB) Adata XPG Gammix D10 DDR4 3200MHz, GameMax Iceberg RGB Watercooler - 240mm,  1TB M.2 PCI-E NVMe Solid State Drive, 2TB SSD, 1TB HDD.

My grandfather got me hooked on flight when I was just a kid.  I can still remember the feeling,  and I don't ever want to forget it.   So happy for your friend's son.

I can still remember trying to make cockpits out of cardboard boxes,  special times.   

When I turned 7 I remember him taking me to D.C. just to visit the National Aerospace Museum.  I was hooked before we got in the door. 

He was a pilot himself,  and when I was 8 he took me to the release of "the Great Waldo Pepper".    That day I fell in love with the golden age of aviation,  and began to understand it's meaning.

The best part of your story,  is that he bought it himself.  I'm glad to see a young person take the first steps.

• Like 2

There was a time that you could find FS in chain stores like Office Depot. On the rack with word processors and spreadsheets. I guess MSFS was considered a worthy adult game instead of a lark (because it was the only 'game' in the store).

• Like 2

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Heck, I'm 52, been virtual flying since I was 13 (subLogic FS2 on a Commodore 64) and my virtual flying still isn't anywhere near procedurally correct or aerodynamically advisable!  Hehehe...  Seriously though, MSFS is the first sim I've actually started to learn procedures and 'proper' flying.  Kudos to him for hopping in and actually enjoying flying (instead of just focusing on Minecraft, Pokemon or whatever the kids are playing today).  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, psolk said:

with an awesome green screen CRT monitor

Started early 90ies on an IBM compatible something I forgot with those fluffy floppy disks and an amber screen CRT monitor. That was FS4 back then 

• Like 1

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

I think I was around 10 when I got a copy of MSFS from a friend back in the early 80ties for my C64. Next to the disk I even copied the manual, never done that before in my life. But the investment in this manual was well justified This was not a game, it was a Simulator! It took literally years to tune a VOR. And when I first managed to hear the VHF signal and follow the needle I knew was a true pilot…

Edited by urthgental

7 minutes ago, DAD said:

Started early 90ies on an IBM compatible something I forgot with those fluffy floppy disks and an amber screen CRT monitor. That was FS4 back then 

Another FS4-Starter. I still have the box with the disks on my shelf (and all FSxx versions since).

I even had addons for it. Aerosoft (yes, they were around at this time already) had a 7-part package of Germany scenery extensions.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

It's way better than the chemistry kits we had to play with.

bs

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER