Sign in to follow this  
P-12C

Well Done to ACES support and communications

Guest Peter Wilding

Just a letter of thanks and appreciation to ACES support who frequent this forum.I had some concerns the other day and vented my thoughts in a somewhat colorful way which came across as a little too honest and aggressive. It was regarding what many developers could interpret as a threat with ACES coming in to the third party development arena. i.e. Adrenaline....The ACES team not only took the slap on the cheek peacefully but they had the decency to communicate with me privately to assure me my concerns were fully understood and went on to give me much more confidence that there is nothing for us developers to fear.In fact I would go as far as saying potentially with high profile titles coming to the market from ACES on the back of the mother program FSX that it could mean FSX sells much more and everyone will benefit in several ways.Of course nobody yet knows how any of this will develop.What I can say for sure is ACES and Paul Lange, who contacted me, have earned my respect.Well done to ACES and the team for excellent People Relations and support to customers and developers.Things really are looking up.Peter Wilding

Guest Tingoose

How many times is that you've changed your mind now Peter. Maybe being "too honest as u put it is what is needed a bit more around here.

>How many times is that you've changed your mind now Peter. >Maybe being "too honest as u put it is what is needed a bit>more around here.Nothing wrong with changing your mind given new circumstances to consider. One thing that is almost impossible not to realize after talking to any of the ACES members I've met is how dedicated they are to making a great sim.

Guest Peter Wilding

We are all different personalites. I tend to look at extremes. It's my nature. As a result I often change my mind.A man who can't change his mind can't change anything. LOLPeter

Guest Peter Wilding

One thing that is almost impossible not to realize after talking to any of the ACES members I've met is how dedicated they are to making a great sim.Agreed 100%. The personal touch is a fantastic advantage to everyone.

>>How many times is that you've changed your mind now Peter. >>Maybe being "too honest as u put it is what is needed a bit>>more around here.>>Nothing wrong with changing your mind given new circumstances>to consider. >>One thing that is almost impossible not to realize after>talking to any of the ACES members I've met is how dedicated>they are to making a great sim.Agreed! Each of the Aces members really do care about their work and it shows:-)

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

Guest prdant

A man who can change his mind has never been married.

I think that's because it seems ACES members are zealous FS people like us.Some of them, like Adam Szofran, developed for FS before they worked for Microsoft. I rememember well Adam S.'s FSASM scenery compiler. It became my favorite.Sometimes we are "overzealous" but I think 95% of us mean well when we are a little overzealous.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

>A man who can change his mind has never been married.:-lol

Guest MauiHawk

I think its perfectly reasonable to appreciate and respect the people of Aces while still having gripes about certain issues.I really appreciate the transparency Phil and others have given us recently. That's not going change the fact that I still feel a little used by the DX10 for FSX marketing that triggered me to buy Vista a year earlier than I needed to.

It's a given that the Aces team is devoted to giving us a great sim. They in fact gave us too great of a sim.What happened is their timing got all out of kilter. That could have been a corporate thing.What's important to me now is how they respond to get back on track and in sync with the available operating system and hardware.If I could get just one wish in this arena, it would be that they realize that the gaming requirements are getting tougher. The "easy money" is just not there anymore. Rewrites and tougher code are just part of the business as it exists today to make a good game in comparison to "the other guy". Unlimited multi-core chip productions is just screaming this out very loud and clear ! Bob (Las Cruces, NM)

Thank you Peter. I appreciate your message and our exchange of information as well. I'm sure other team members feel the same way.

Guest LSflyguy

>>If I could get just one wish in this arena, it would be that>they realize that the gaming requirements are getting tougher.>The "easy money" is just not there anymore. Rewrites and>tougher code are just part of the business as it exists today>to make a good game in comparison to "the other guy".>Unlimited multi-core chip productions is just screaming this>out very loud and clear ! >I agree with the first part of your post; I suspect that many ACES team members might agree with the gist of it as well. Unlike FS9, the development of FSX had to take into account (a) Microsoft's new operating system (the "corporate thing" you describe), and (:( a new and unexpected paradigm shift in hardware to multi-core processors. Any way you look at it, this was going to be a difficult environment in which to program a new sim. Your last paragraph makes much less sense to me. It seems you're combining arguments about hardware and software development into one muddled mess. And who, exactly is the "other guy" in the flight sim market? X-Plane? That would be a joke.