Sign in to follow this  
Adamski_NZ

Aeroplane Heaven Spitfire - axes reversed

Dellghted to have [yet] another Spitfire in my collection! The AH MkI is a stunner - but I have a few problems - and can't seem to find a forum dedicated to AH aircraft ... so...

1) The brakes instrument and pedal animations are correct - but the wrong wheels are braked (they're reversed).

2) Similarly the rudder trim knob rotates in the wrong direction - though the effect is correct. It's also incredibly s-l-o-w.

3) The silver fuel knob/rotator gets a hotspot but isn't functional.

Any ideas, anyone?

Adam.

Edited by Adamski_NZ

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png

3 hours ago, Adamski_NZ said:

Dellghted to have [yet] another Spitfire in my collection! The AH MkI is a stunner - but I have a few problems - and can't seem to find a forum dedicated to AH aircraft ... so...

1) The brakes instrument and pedal animations are correct - but the wrong wheels are braked (they're reversed).

2) Similarly the rudder trim knob rotates in the wrong direction - though the effect is correct. It's also incredibly s-l-o-w.

3) The silver fuel knob/rotator gets a hotspot but isn't functional.

Any ideas, anyone?

Adam.

Hi Adam.

3) A lot of people cannot get this to work, but its simple, well everything is when you know. I use legacy settings, you left mouse click and hold down, then right mouse click to move to the up setting to see PSI then right click again to move to engine, then, you will hear it.🙂

1) Now this will need someone far more into the spit then me, so take what I say with a pitch of salt or just silly!. After reading the manual the spitfire does not have toe brakes. You have to use rudder and pump the "parking brake" leaver on the flight stick. No I have not tried or know if you can have an axis for the Parking brake. But I find if you push you left toe brake and also push the left rudder, two things happen. You can see the parking brake leaver being pumped as it should when braking, the left rudder with as you say, the left toe brake pulls you right!!! but I think and I could be totaly wrong but with the way i use discribed it works well and seems close to how you would really brake. So toe braking in the spitfire should simply not be there if we go by the book. But left rudder and left toe brake works well for me and it seems like that method seems to do what it should look like, keeps you straight and pumps the parking brake/brake.

2) Never used it, unlike the FI when you need it far more. The mixture in the MKI is the wrong way round, full rich is full back!! That is how it really is. but the axis withing the sim works as full forward on your mixture = full back. I have unbound mixture as you dont need it but you sure do need an axis on your prop. The prop is as per normal.

I hope that helps? or not🤪

Edited by Nyxx

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Thanks for the info - I got the fuel knob to work (but I think it's only cosmetic anyway)!

As to the toe brakes - I'm familiar with the way they work on the Spit (having owned the A2A vesrion) ... but the pedals are still applying the wrong brakes - regardless of rudder input.

I suspect these axis mapping bugs will be relatively easy to fix (!).

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png

This is my observations so far:

1. For me the Spit responds to toe brakes, historically incorrect but functional -  HOWEVER pressing left toe brake causes left pressure needle to rise as expected but the aircraft pulls the wrong way to the right - and visa versa.   
  2. On the other hand assigning an axis to brake pressure and moving the pedals produces to emulate historically correct brakes produces even odder results. If I apply left rudder and apply brake pressure the left needle moves first but then the right needle ramps up just after.  Alternatively if I apply right rudder and apply brake pressure the right needle moves first but then the left needle ramps up just after. In either case both brakes are applied and the aircraft simply stops and lifts it tail.  This is not working as expected.  

TLDR - the historically correct technique does not work at all, at least as far as assigning brake pressure to an axis.  If you wish to use asymmetric toe brakes it will work but you need to reverse which pedals are mapped where when in the Spitfire.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick

" 2) Similarly the rudder trim knob rotates in the wrong direction - though the effect is correct. It's also incredibly s-l-o-w. "

Same thing for me with the wonderful JustFlight Arrow III. But I use Axis and Oh's addon software. Therefore I have a slow rudder knob and a fast one on any plane, would work perfectly on this AH Spitfire (I only have the FI Spit). You could have a dozen trim speeds if you wanted to get silly. But that's just a small example that you can do anything with AAO. Fast to get you to the right trim, and Slow to fine tune it.

I find some planes are not giving me full RPM when I mash the throttle (If I use the MSFS controller windows to assign the throttle function). So I use AAO instead. Backward throttle is really full slow and forward is really full fast. I was surprised what I was missing when using MSFS instead of AAO to assign the throttle.

These assignments using AAO are for each plane. I don't need a modified throttle or rudder trim for most planes. When I do need it in a given plane, two mouse clicks brings up the profile I made for just that plane.

For the Arrow III, I need more full throttle to escape danger down in mountain canyons; and faster rudder trim to get squared away after a takeoff in seconds instead of minutes. You would have both of those in a real life Arrow. But I don't have them in MSFS without AAO.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.