Sign in to follow this  
nudata

FSGenesis questions

Any of you using fsg for fsx and if so i have some questions.- How can you even tell if it is working? I purchased it today but i dont see a difference really. I noticed that the las vegas airport was on a hill now so i know that it worked but i cant see any difference in mountains. What am i supposed to be seeing? I also set the mesh to 10m on the display settings.- I also cant find any txt files that say which area will be affected by a certain autoinstall file. When i install the northwest file which areas will that cover? I tested this on sequoia natl park in central cali after installing the northwest file but honestly i dont see any changes so maybe i installed the wrong file for this area?Thanks!________________________________________________________________________________________________Intel D975XBX2 'Bad Axe 2' | Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.20Ghz | 2 GB Super Talent DDR2 800 | Big Typhoon VX | eVGA 8800GTS @ 565/900 | Seagate 2x320GB SATA RAID-0 | OCZ GameXStream 700W | Creative X-Fi | Silverstone TJ-09BW | Matrox Triplehead Setup

>Any of you using fsg for fsx and if so i have some>questions.>>- How can you even tell if it is working? I purchased it today>but i dont see a difference really. I noticed that the las>vegas airport was on a hill now so i know that it worked but i>cant see any difference in mountains. What am i supposed to be>seeing? I also set the mesh to 10m on the display settings.>>- I also cant find any txt files that say which area will be>affected by a certain autoinstall file. When i install the>northwest file which areas will that cover? I tested this on>sequoia natl park in central cali after installing the>northwest file but honestly i dont see any changes so maybe i>installed the wrong file for this area?>>Thanks!I don't think the difference is so dramatic in FSX as it was in FS2004, since FSX default is already at 38m. If you look at the mountains default vs FSGenesis side by side, you'll probably notice some more detail like more defined ridges etc.. There is a downside to this, that is because of the more accurate elevations, airports will start appearing on what plateaus, because of FS's need to flatten it's airports. This can be rather abrupt, and unrealistic. If you want to see an example check out KSBD San Bernardino airport. Unfortunately nothing can be done about this, same as it was for FS2004.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

I finally saw the difference. The problem was that there are no instructions that come with each file that says what area that it will affect after install. I assumed that California would be northwest but it was in the north central install file. It would be very nice to know which of these files will affect what area in case you don't want to install all of them.Which files affect Alaska and Hawaii Justin? I went ahead and installed all of them but i just want to make sure that Hawaii gets updated as well.________________________________________________________________________________________________Intel D975XBX2 'Bad Axe 2' | Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.20Ghz | 2 GB Super Talent DDR2 800 | Big Typhoon VX | eVGA 8800GTS @ 565/900 | Seagate 2x320GB SATA RAID-0 | OCZ GameXStream 700W | Creative X-Fi | Silverstone TJ-09BW | Matrox Triplehead Setup

Isn't there a map on the FSG site that does exactly what you're describing? I could have sworn I referenced it a while back when downloading the mesh packs separately.

The best way would be if you have FSX deluxe is to install the SDK and use the "tmfviewer" program to look at both the default and FSG mesh files. You can overlay them and selectively turn them on and off and also see what LOD resolutions are defined in each file and select which one you want to look at. Works with the landclass too.I have been doing a little mesh testing, and on my system with the fsx.cfg LOD RADIUS = 4.5 I see LOD11 mesh (19m) popup at a range of 11.5 nm from my aircraft.scott s..

Guest Phantoms

Tom, a buffer mesh can be designed around the airport to make it look a little better.

RE: Airport Buffer MeshWhat tool do you use to "buffer the sawtoothed cliffs around some airports? Regards,Dick Boley

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA