Sign in to follow this  
Guest iwantmydc3

Would you "REINSTALL" FSX?

Just installed Vista this weekend. Should I or shouldn't I "reinstall" FSX and all the planes in my virtual hanger? It wouldn't be all that difficult. But is it necessary? Vista seems to be working well now after a weekend of reinstalling drivers and finding appropriate ones for my peripherals. It has been challenging, but I making extraordinary progress. I ran FSX and did notice a few frames down from XP at my usual settings. It may be that all I have to do is tweak FSX. If I don't have to reinstall, that would be good.If you've recently upgraded from XP to VISTA, tell me what you feel is the best thing to do regarding an XP install of FSX. I'd love to hear the opinions of my trusted friends on AVSIM.

Looks like you already answered my question, Geofa. I guess you think it makes a differnce?

Reinstalling FSX is a non issue for me. Why would anyone have an issue with reinstalling FSX?The problem for me...is the thought of reinstaling FS9. Now, I have a hundred odd addons for that. Reinstalling all those..now that is an issue.Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

If I am understanding correctly Stan is asking on a Vista upgrade of Xp if he should reinstall or take the upgrade condition . In my case as it was a new install on a new hardisk I had no choice but to reinstall. It did take me two days with all the add ons I have already acquired already as some of the reactivations were quite complicated. Fsx itself was a cinch and was the easiest part-that was no harder than the initial install.http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpg

Correct, Geofa.I did a successful upgrade from XP to Vista, although with several driver issues on printer and scanner. Got through that ok...and found I had to totally disable the Creative X-Fi card for Vista to install (thanks, Fred at Microsoft who worked through that with me). I at one point thought I had to format my hard drive because Vista wouldn't install. Once I went to Device Manager and disabled the X-Fi, all went well. Now after a couple of days and tweaking Vista by removing one driver on Roxio that caused a conflict (thanks, Dell for the patch), I'm in business. A couple of defrags and Vista is working well. Flew FSX a few times today, and frames are up considerably from yesterday. I'm finding that with Vista, you have to run programs a few times so that proper indexing can occur and then the programs load faster every time you run them. It looks like I probably won't gain that many frames now if I reinstall FSX. Keep in mind that Vista is maturing every day with many new ideas from many people, and Microsoft is supposedly preparing updates to really get this OS to the point of complete "acceptance". They HAVE to do it since sales are not what XP sales were at this point in time after release.Overall, with my system, I'm seeing real progress with this new OS every single day. I'm glad I finally pulled the trigger on it.

Oh!.. nevermind!Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Guest iwantmydc3

I wouldn't reinstall FSX unless necessary, because I have already added so many planes both freeware and payware. Who has the time, if it's not necessary?