Sign in to follow this  
John Fields

The hotfix update 1.19.9.0 was a nightmare

Some people may remember that a while ago there was quite a bit of angst about not being able to access the asobo and Microsoft flight simulator website.

I know that in my case and in many others it turned out to be necessary to align all of the various Microsoft accounts, including my windows sign in.

Essentially my windows sign in became a PIN number that could also work with my Microsoft account which in turn had access to my Xbox information.

After that I pretty much never had any more issues.

• Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

24 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

100% confirmation that accounts cannot be consolidated.  Did you read through that? 

So we have three computers.  All are on Windows 10, but Windows 10 is registered in two accounts as one was upgraded from Windows 7 which was in its own account. The other two were fresh Windows installs.   So one computer's Windows 10 installation is on one account, and two on the other.  We have three versions of Office, a different one on each computer.  2005 on my wife's, 2013 on my laptop, and 2016 on this desktop.  Outlook is a bit different on each, though our email accounts are POP or iMap through our ISP.  There are none of three accounts we could delete as MS will not allow us to consolidate them.

Then there is my MSFS MS account.  Because I could not register with any of the other three when registering for MSFS Insider back before release.  That account now includes Insider, MSFS, xBox, and the MS Store.

So we have three MS accounts that we need to use, and the MS Store seems to have its own mind on how it recognizes and uses them.  The privileges of a monopoly!

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I've never had an issue with the updates until the latest one.

I rebooted and MSFS was working fine, but both Xbox app and MS Store showed "error", before I even launched anything. 
So rebooted again for safe keeping, and then some of the files on the C drive related to MSFS disappeared, flat out gone (though my main install is on D).

It's re-downloading the entire 135GB now, but it's probably pointing to the wrong location now, going to mess with it I guess.

Edited by Alpine Scenery

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

5 minutes ago, fppilot said:

100% confirmation that accounts cannot be consolidated.  Did you read through that? 

So we have three computers.  All are on Windows 10, but Windows 10 is registered in two accounts as one was upgraded from Windows 7 which was in its own account. The other two were fresh Windows installs.   So one computer's Windows 10 installation is on one account, and two on the other.  We have three versions of Office, a different one on each computer.  2005 on my wife's, 2013 on my laptop, and 2016 on this desktop.  Outlook is a bit different on each, though our email accounts are POP or iMap through our ISP.  There are none of three accounts we could delete as MS will not allow us to consolidate them.

Then there is my MSFS MS account.  Because I could not register with any of the other three when registering for MSFS Insider back before release.  That account now includes Insider, MSFS, xBox, and the MS Store.

So we have three MS accounts that we need to use, and the MS Store seems to have its own mind on how it recognizes and uses them.  The privileges of a monopoly!

Honestly when I was working for Microsoft, part of my job was helping disentangle situations like yours.

But the situation you are describing is such a mess that I would probably have referred you upwards, with little to no hope of a satisfactory outcome. And no, consolidating accounts would be an absolute nightmare, especially old ones, as the Microsoft backend for all of that is a mishmash of systems that grew more or less organically on separate paths over the years and can/could barely talk to one another.

All held together with spit and bubblegum.

Not to mention even confirming your identity, when it seems nobody remembers their passwords, or can even access old emails because their passwords were made by somebodies' little sister as a joke in the first place, written on a bubblegum wrapper and forgotten almost instantly 10,000 years ago when they were 5 all years old.

I suspect that the deep integration of the current services (windows sign-in, Microsoft account, xbox, etc) that some here find so annoying "Why do I need an Xbox app when I don't even have one!" is a MS attempt to straighten out a decades-old mess and get all their customers finally on the same page.

But given the challenges, I can only send thoughts and prayers to anyone with multiple, years old accounts, who who might also not be willing to heave it all over the side and start again. 😕

Good luck, maybe they have advanced enough that there is some way to help you, but I doubt it.

• Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Someone pointed this out earlier in this thread, but in case the thread is still being looked at, the problem is that the MS Store app does not automatically show all updates that are available for your library. It show some apps that need to be updated, but it is necessary to click the Get button to find the rest of the updates.

• Like 1

I checked that as well, but the Xbox app actually deleted some files and the launcher itself when I was in there trying to update. I spent 30 minutes or so in both store apps trying to get it to work, clicked everything. It then tried to install it on the C-Drive, but I just re-pointed it to the correct path (D:\FS2020), and now it seems to be downloading the update without issue (only 525 MB or so). Edit - Yup it seems to be working fine now, but that is a really terrible bug.

Some of this issue had to do with the Digital License file, it updated it and invalidated and then re-downloading. When it did that, it appears it reset something in the registry related to the path info.

The core issues some are experiencing are because the path gets reset, just re-point it and force it back to the proper folder as people have said in previous threads.

In Summation
If you have this issue or a similar issue, the update will NEVER appear because it doesn't even think the game is installed correctly anymore. Just make sure you are in the proper version (like Std-Deluxe-PremDeluxe), and then re-run the installer itself. At first it will say it needs to re-install everything, but then if you re-point it to your original folder, it should work. Of course some people have a different issue. 

Edited by Alpine Scenery

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

I can't imagine a car dealership where there were impediments to the salesman's sliding the contract and pen across the desk over to you to sign. That part of the process they especially designed to go smoothly. Also the cart check out at Amazon or app purchase at Apple.

But completing and updating purchased products seems to be a weak spot for Microsoft. Not just with MSFS. Maybe one of Bill Gate's young relatives is the head of the shopping cart / product update department and cannot be reassigned.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

7 hours ago, Adrian123 said:

Now we know why Australia chose the US and GB to design a Submarine! 🙂

Yes, but only after spending a few billion and some years before changing....

1 hour ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

33 hours with no MSFS.  Whatever I do XBox app will not recognise my internet connection.  I have followed many many posts/guides about the problem but I can't solve it.  I purchased the steam version but it still wants the ruddy Xbox app logged in but I can't even log in because it doesn't see the internet connection!

Frustration is not the f------ word.

Could someone do me a favour and look at their settings/xbox networking.  what does your NAT TYPE say - mine says 'Teredo is unable to qualify'

• Like 1

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

2 minutes ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

Could someone do me a favour and look at their settings/xbox networking.  what does your NAT TYPE say - mine says 'Teredo is unable to qualify'

Sounds like you need to open a few ports.

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

7 minutes ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

I believe (vague memory) that has to do with Xbox, possibly multiplayer.....

Or not! 👴

EDIT: 

NAT type on Windows 10 displays "Teredo is unable to qualify"

If you can’t join or host an Xbox Live multiplayer game, or you can’t connect to a party chat session, press the Start button, select Settings > Gaming > Xbox Networking and check NAT type.

If it says Teredo is unable to qualify, your PC is unable to obtain a Teredo IP address.

Teredo is a networking protocol that’s used to establish secure communications between clients and servers, and to facilitate connectivity between devices behind routers that use network address translation (NAT).

Failure to obtain a Teredo IP address can occur when there’s an issue with your Teredo adapter, when a device on your network is blocking the Teredo protocol, or if there’s software installed on your PC that’s disabling Teredo functionality. Without a Teredo IP address, you’ll be unable to use party chat or do multiplayer gaming on Xbox Live.

Note The Teredo IP address is only necessary for Xbox Live party chat and multiplayer features. If your game doesn’t use the Xbox Live service, consult that game’s support site for help on chat and multiplayer issues.

Edited by HiFlyer

Devons rig

1 hour ago, Maxis said:

Sounds like you need to open a few ports.

I downloaded the last update without a problem.  I haven't changed anything on my system  so not sure what has happened.  I have followed lots of guides regarding this TEREDO issue, but nothing has worked.

The router hasn't changed so I'm at a loss what to do.

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

1 hour ago, HiFlyer said:

I believe (vague memory) that has to do with Xbox, possibly multiplayer.....

Or not! 👴

EDIT: 

I have followed the advice from many websites about this TEREDO issue but none of them has fixed it.  I'm assuming this is what is stopping the XBOX app from communicating with the web.  I opened and flew fine one day, then the day of the update nothing!

9 hours ago, John Fields said:

Hi,

In my opinion updating MSFS should be as clear and simple as updating Windows or any other software.

But, from what I see, besides me, there are other users who have had problems with some MSFS updates.

Having to reinstall MSFS again from scratch is time consuming.

I think Microsoft should review the update protocol.

Regards.

Sir, I think you are being too polite.  LOL

• Like 1

Jeff Smith

System: i9-9900K@5.0GHz., ASUS Maximus XI Hero MB, 32 GB 3200 Hyper-X RAM, Corsair HX1000i PSU, Cooler Master ML360R RGB, EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3, (2) Samsung 860 500GB SSD for Windows 10 Pro and sim, (2) M.2 NVMe 2TB, (2) WD Black 4TB HD for data, Samsung 65" 4K curved monitor @ 30Hz. (Currently running VSync, TB , Unlimited),YOKO+ yoke, VF TQ6+,TPR pedals, Logitech Multi, Switch, and Radio Panels

Software:  P3Dv4.5HF3 Pro, Ultimate Traffic Live, ASP3D, ASCA, ORBX, Fly Tampa, GSX/GSX2, PMDG, A2A, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado, Majestic.

On other computer: P3D v3.2.3, My Traffic 6.0a, PMDG, ORBX, A2A, Captain Sim , iFly, Flight 1, Flysimware, Just Flight, Milviz, Carenado

It looks like I may have won "the update game"...?

I had uninstalled the xbox app from my PC so I reinstalled and ran it.  It had some message at the top about changing settings so I could send messages, I clicked the thing and it took me to some MS website that wanted me to log in.  I started to do that, but it said it needed to email a code to verify my device (why?  I've been using it with that login for months).  Anyhow, did that, fired up xbox program, message was gone.  Went into MS store, did the "get updates" thing and it had decided to update MSFS.  After that I launched MSFS and the "rhinoceros screen" was replaced by one showing what may or may not be the great wall of China.  And it said it had an update to download... 3.19 GB.

It's downloading now but I've got my fingers crossed this annoyance is fixed.