Sign in to follow this  
GCBraun

This plugin has won me back as regular XP11 user

57 minutes ago, BiologicalNanobot said:

ES never intended to change lighting or shadows though - so I have no idea why you think ES is to blame for that. Either case, it is indeed too little and maybe too late, given X-Plane 12 will definitely look better than what I have implemented. But it is something, something that I have spent my 2 years on, hence I find your "rubbish" and "small puddle of rubbishy clouds" remarks very unfair.

Your work is really great, I think in some aspects it even looks better than the competition.

P.S. Don't be angered by the pathetic comments of some individuals. We know what their role is. 🙂

Edited by Murmur
  • Like 8
  • Upvote 3

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

If BiologicalNanobot invented a plugin that turned water into wine, there would always be some passage rectale in the forums bleating that ‘it doesn’t do Rose’. Pay no attention to the carping. These individuals are unlikely to be real-life pilots; what they spout here shows they wouldn’t pass the Human Factors exam.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BiologicalNanobot said:

ES never intended to change lighting or shadows though - so I have no idea why you think ES is to blame for that. Either case, it is indeed too little and maybe too late, given X-Plane 12 will definitely look better than what I have implemented. But it is something, something that I have spent my 2 years on, hence I find your "rubbish" and "small puddle of rubbishy clouds" remarks very unfair.

Your product is great. Pitch it to LR. They want to buy this and give this out for free to their longstanding customer base. They just don't know yet 🙂 

Laminar Research customer -- Asobo/MS customer -- not an X-Aviation customer - or am I? 😉

6 hours ago, BiologicalNanobot said:

Don't get me wrong. I do not question the work you have put into this and admire you for it. I've bought ES and will be using it although with regard to clouds I've tasted sweeter fruit. But let's not kid ourselves. You can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear. There is nothing that can really be done to bring XP11 up to date. No amount of plugins, addons and  shader tweaking external programs will do any good. The only answer is XP12 and the sooner the better.

PS Will all the people who made donations to what they thought was a freeware project but which in fact was a commercial endeavour be getting a free copy? I was not one of them although I did offer but was told it was Patreon only and PayPal payments were not acceptable.

Edited by jarmstro

The really interesting discussion should be around how much of the next version of X-Plane is based on former technology.

Honestly I don't care as long as it results in a great sim but there has been far too much talk about MSFS using FS9 tech.

My the tables have turned.

28 minutes ago, Gulfstream said:

The really interesting discussion should be around how much of the next version of X-Plane is based on former technology.

Honestly I don't care as long as it results in a great sim but there has been far too much talk about MSFS using FS9 tech.

The foundations for the flight model and SDK are still there.  So far, the word from LR is that most or all add ons should work without issue.  To give a really comprehensive answer would take thorough testing of every add on in the market.  A tall order to ask of anyone. 

Even if some updates are required to art assets (textures to reflect the new lighting), they wouldn't need too much re-working.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 9/19/2021 at 3:39 PM, Paulvanuf said:

Sorry, postet without intention by my IPhone.

Edited by Ralf Maylin

14 hours ago, Gulfstream said:

A lot probably. If you want everything from before to continue to work, that usually brings limitations in what and how much you can change under the hood.

Laminar Research customer -- Asobo/MS customer -- not an X-Aviation customer - or am I? 😉

4 minutes ago, rka said:

A lot probably. If you want everything from before to continue to work, that usually brings limitations in what and how much you can change under the hood.

“Probably”?

Can you provide evidence on how you came to that conclusion?  Or are you just guessing?

Because there are those of us who do know. 

16 hours ago, jarmstro said:

PS Will all the people who made donations to what they thought was a freeware project but which in fact was a commercial endeavour be getting a free copy? I was not one of them although I did offer but was told it was Patreon only and PayPal payments were not acceptable.

Who said Enhanced Cloudscapes development has stopped? It is continuing along with Enhanced Skyscapes as well. Enhanced Cloudscapes will always stay freeware & open source and receive the improvements & fixes I have been collecting over the course of several months.

• Like 5

PC specs: i5-12400F, RTX 3070 Ti and 32 GB of RAM.

Simulators I'm using: X-Plane 12, Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) and FlightGear.

And... it's probably going to make my day for quite a while, at least until my preferred addons can finally be ported to the next XP version.

So, just as with other users, I am GRATEFULL to you for the excellent work, a total game changer for me, and giving me unbeatable performance, although I see my RTX 3060 Ti being pushed to the hot side 🙂

👍

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

15 hours ago, Gulfstream said:

For plugins they will still use the OpenGL bridge but everything on the rendering is pure Vulkan. The new challenge will probably be is how well all plugins + Xplane itself well scale on our cores, since everything will probably more multicore, everyone will be fighting over cores.

For artists from what I read in the blog as well they will have more channels on textures, like WeatherFX. Multiple UVs as well but what I'm really hoping for is an unpack for the PBR+normal channels, 2 textures (material and normal) instead of one but both compressed (so uses less memory than PNG), with multiple UVs it will be a much better way to enhance the OBJs artwork.

Edited by akita
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GoranM said:

“Probably”?

Can you provide evidence on how you came to that conclusion?  Or are you just guessing?

Because there are those of us who do know. 

It's great that you "know". 

Feel free to counter with an actual argument. This "I belong to the enlightened circle" stuff is just silly. 

• Like 1