Sign in to follow this  
abranpuko

The air traffic sect.

6 hours ago, Stoopy said:

Seems there is at least a third type - those like me that stopped reading right there.  

I started simming in the early 1980's and obviously didn't leave after crashing a 747 (which would have actually been the Learjet in SubLogic FlightSim II at the time) into a mountain or whatever 7 times.  And I really don't give a rat's patoot about having authentic airliner traffic.  Seriously, how would I know or care - I'm not constantly checking against FlightAware as I enjoy my simulated flying endeavors.  Just like I wouldn't do in real life. 

If you have to categorize the entire community into two extremely narrow bands of users you obviously are out to make a very flimsy point.  To the extent I expect this to fall on deaf ears but it bears stating anyway.

yes ... you definitely belong to the first type.😉

Edited by abranpuko

I never realized until this game came out that there was such a divide between people that like AI and people that don't. It used to be a simulator/game for everyone to enjoy and you could use what ever was important to your experience. I most definitely enjoy AI and filled airports but I feel it's not coming anytime soon for this game so I just don't play anymore. I still read these forums to find out what has been happening and can hopefully enjoy playing the game someday soon.

5 minutes ago, bosflo said:

I never realized until this game came out that there was such a divide between people that like AI and people that don't. It used to be a simulator/game for everyone to enjoy and you could use what ever was important to your experience. I most definitely enjoy AI and filled airports but I feel it's not coming anytime soon for this game so I just don't play anymore. I still read these forums to find out what has been happening and can hopefully enjoy playing the game someday soon.

I'd suggest it's not as big a divide as this thread might want to make it seem,.  For instance, quite a long time ago, with the permission of Milton Shupe I made a pretty cool freeware AI Traffic addon for FS9 that added AI versions of his aircraft to the AI routes.  So it was great fun and all to see planes like his Spartan Executive and Howard DGA tooling around among the other traffic but was just a challenge I wanted to do and I moved on to other challenges.  And I've never met someone that said they don't like AI - it has it's place.  But I do know many simmers that are interested in accurate flight models. avionics, ATC, procedures, weather, etc. etc. and so on. 

"That's what" - She

For a good time, download my repaints for the RealAir Scout/Citabria/Decathlon in the AvSim library by clicking here!

On this topic about traffic and ATC. I was sitting at the GA ramp at Zurich airport last night and thinking I am really there, this is unbelievable and like a new world after 25 years with this hobby. The commercial airliners just kept coming in on runway 28 and pilots were communicating with Zurich arrival before handed of to Zurich Tower all in real time with real sim pilots and real sim controllers and real voice communication.

I am talking VATSIM, go give it a try. I have never ever experienced such realism before in flight simulator. It has some limitations of course in that you need to be where everyone else is or it will get rather silent on the radio but with both VATSIM and IVAO you can select where coverage is best. I used to be a big sceptic to online flying for years but now I never fly without it.

Edited by mikced76

I am sure MS is fully aware the AI traffic lacks. My guess is that they will improve this in-house and NOT via community with a Big Bang next year or in 2023. Jörg mentioned numerous times that they look into that, speak with Airlines and have already many optimized simplified Models on stock. most likely it will be a separate DLC. We will see…

Edited by urthgental

The day you’re put into a pattern by ATC and then vectored into Heathrow final with 2.5NM spacing between aircraft or queued up on the taxiway, 7th in line for takeoff, is the day this game can earn the title “flight simulator”. This game can’t even properly simulate IFR and ATC for one aircraft. 😞

Edited by Virtual-Chris

1 hour ago, Virtual-Chris said:

The day you’re put into a pattern by ATC and then vectored into Heathrow final with 2.5NM spacing between aircraft or queued up on the taxiway, 7th in line for takeoff, is the day this game can earn the title “flight simulator”. This game can’t even properly simulate IFR and ATC for one aircraft. 😞

No Sim ever even tried to accomplish that. Then we were always playing games since 40 years…

To be fair, World Traffic for xplane went into that direction, managed spacing for approaches. But of course it had so many shortcomings as an add-on without any support from LR.

Edited by urthgental

7 hours ago, Virtual-Chris said:

I think we would all love to see that level of AI aircraft simulation!  Having said that, I am reasonably certain even the ultra high end, ungodly expensive simulators used by real world pilots and engineers at Boeing, Airbus and major airlines do no incorporate the level of AI traffic that you describe.  Are you implying users of those machines are simply gaming?

8 hours ago, urthgental said:

No Sim ever even tried to accomplish that. Then we were always playing games since 40 years…

To be fair, World Traffic for xplane went into that direction, managed spacing for approaches. But of course it had so many shortcomings as an add-on without any support from LR.

I had spacing in FSX (before the Steam version of it). It was from a mod but I had it.

James

2 minutes ago, Phantoms said:

I had spacing in FSX (before the Steam version of it). It was from a mod but I had it.

I had a mod, and supposedly spacing as well. But AI planes still flew right through me on a regular basis......

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5