Sign in to follow this  
RobJC

Asobo/MSFS need to fix the code base…

Are people reverting BIOS and clocks back to default and testing, because my system at OC CPU was throwing CTDs, but only in FS2020, BF5 and other titles were just fine.

• Like 1

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

AME GE90, GP7200 CFM56 

4 hours ago, styckx said:

3 pages of people who don't have access to the code or would know how to interpret it, playing armchair software engineer 

Hehe.   To me it seems like 1 page of that, and 3 pages of arguing about the merits of AMD vs NVidia.  And, because brand name wars are likely to be the less flamey and unproductive argument, I'll address that rather than the original topic.  😉

For me, for many years, the answer was NVidia because AMD video cards often had sub-optimal Linux drivers with notoriously bad performance.   From what I've read, that seems to not be the case anymore, but I tend to stick with NVidia unless there's something really compelling either in the tech (which is very seldom, NVidia is almost always the leader here and AMD the follower) or the value prop (much more likely) of a given AMD card.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, RobJC said:

I will take a screenshot. Pretty much everywhere I fly. 

OMG, something is absolutely amiss RobJC!  I'm wondering if you didn't complete the WU6 installation?  

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Just took off from JFK.

PFwKce2.jpg

Edited by RobJC

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

9 minutes ago, kaosfere said:

Hehe.   To me it seems like 1 page of that, and 3 pages of arguing about the merits of AMD vs NVidia.  And, because brand name wars are likely to be the less flamey and unproductive argument, I'll address that rather than the original topic.  😉

For me, for many years, the answer was NVidia because AMD video cards often had sub-optimal Linux drivers with notoriously bad performance.   From what I've read, that seems to not be the case anymore, but I tend to stick with NVidia unless there's something really compelling either in the tech (which is very seldom, NVidia is almost always the leader here and AMD the follower) or the value prop (much more likely) of a given AMD card.

The caveat being that for a while, AMD had much more stable drivers. Nvidia seems to have rectified that.

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.

25 minutes ago, Spam3d said:

Are people reverting BIOS and clocks back to default and testing, because my system at OC CPU was throwing CTDs, but only in FS2020, BF5 and other titles were just fine.

I am running under-clocked for heat reasons.  

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

2 hours ago, fogboundturtle said:

My point is that people jump to the conclusion really quick that it's Asobo's fault for the CTD when it often isn't. Bad mods are the #1 issue for CTD. Why am I able to fly in MSFS without every having CTD ? What is so different about my setup than anyone else ? 

My experience with an empty community folder.

Pre SU5 no or very few CTDs

Post SU5 CTD every flight

MS/Asobo agree the CTDs exist and work on hotfix 2

Post Hotfix 2 no CTDs

My conclusion should be the CTDs are down to a bad MOD?

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

35 minutes ago, RobJC said:

Just took off from JFK.

Interesting, I don't know what to make of that.  In that plane out of JFK I would expect to see about 13Gb of SysRAM, and probably 10.5Gb of VRAM--BUT...I'm looking at RTSS' display of both.  Next time up I will bring up the dev mode display and sew what is says.  Also, when I open the dev mode display it will show as GPU limited, not main thread limited, FWIW.

• Like 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

1 minute ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

My experience with an empty community folder.

Pre SU5 no or very few CTDs

Post SU5 CTD every flight

MS/Asobo agree the CTDs exist and work on hotfix 2

Post Hotfix 2 no CTDs

My conclusion should be the CTDs are down to a bad MOD?

your experience is anecdotal at best. My experience comes from helping thousands of users on the official MSFS Discord every day. 

That being said, it doesn't meant there isn't code issue with MSFS that causes CTDs. They are not as widespread at people seem to think.  This is my point. Easy to point the finger at Asobo compare to looking at your PC configuration. I had CTDs in KBOS once. I have no mods in KBOS whatsoever. I was pulling my hair out. Turns out a mods with really bad LOD in Catalina , CA was responsible for the CTD in Boston.  Liveries is also a big contribution to CTDs. It happens all the time. You get that OxC0000005 memory access violation error. It could also be a third party software like Capture One or AVAST messing things up.  I hope you are getting my point. This threads is starting accusing Asobo left and right where the proper troubleshooting wasn't performed.  I see this everyday in the MSFS discord.  They start claiming Asobo is the worst dev in the world turns out it had nothing to do with it. 

• Like 7

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

Day after day, flight after flight (mostly the A32NX v070 now) I have zero problems. I run an air cooled AMD Ryzen 7 with an Nvidia 3060 12 gig just updated from a 1060 6 gig, TM Warthog HOTAS and Saitek rudder pedals. And since I upgraded the GPU I no longer get the infamous pauses. I fly up to three flights a day 5 /6 days a week.

Smooth as butter as you can see

Edited by SierraHotel
  • Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

I agree to @fogboundturtle. I have rarely CTDs but could trace all of them, up to perhaps a couple of them since release, to mods, mostly freeware, which by itself or together with others are CTDing. I use the scenery linker and usually work to isolate the poisoned addon(s) which, however, costs me 1-2 hrs every time and isn't really fun.

That's probably not the only cause but an important one.

Kind regards, Michael 

Edited by pmb
  • Like 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

13 minutes ago, Noel said:

Interesting, I don't know what to make of that.  In that plane out of JFK I would expect to see about 13Gb of SysRAM, and probably 10.5Gb of VRAM--BUT...I'm looking at RTSS' display of both.  Next time up I will bring up the dev mode display and sew what is says.  Also, when I open the dev mode display it will show as GPU limited, not main thread limited, FWIW.

Maybe RTSS and MSFS dev mode use different calcs, but not sure. I am running bone stock config file for MSFS and only really limit FPS in the NVIDIA control panel. Not turning anything else up, but the settings in MSFS are all Ultra except the screen refresh (Low) at the bottom. Beats me, but I don't think MSFS is pushing my system at all. 

9 minutes ago, pmb said:

I agree to @fogboundturtle. I have rarely CTDs but could trace all of them, up to perhaps a couple of them since release, to mods, mostly freeware, which by itself or together with others are CTDing. I use the scenery linker and usually work to isolate the poisoned addon(s) which, however, costs me 1-2 hrs every time and isn't really fun.

That's probably not the only cause but an important one.

Kind regards, Michael 

Oh I completely agree that mods can cause CTDs. I have basically stopped running them, with the exception of the no tool bar mod. No overclocking. No config tweaks. No NVIDIA tweaks. No USB Yoke/devices. No TrackIR. I guess if nothing else works I can try ditching my keyboard, mouse and monitor. lol

1 hour ago, Spam3d said:

Yup went to 4.7 from 5.3 achieved via disabling turbo boost but setting multiplier @47 Do this with good a good cooler. This stopped even P3D from throwing a CTD every 3 minutes. 11900k. Maybe CPU or MOBO not taking it. Not only that the joystick fixed itself after downclocking. Think Its a silicon lottery thing to achieve these awesome numbers. 

Edited by 40track

12 minutes ago, RobJC said:

Maybe RTSS and MSFS dev mode use different calcs, but not sure. I am running bone stock config file for MSFS and only really limit FPS in the NVIDIA control panel. Not turning anything else up, but the settings in MSFS are all Ultra except the screen refresh (Low) at the bottom. Beats me, but I don't think MSFS is pushing my system at all. 

Of note, I do have LOD set to 300, and really should change that to 400, and this affects VRAM in use for sure.

• Like 1

Noel