Sign in to follow this  
RobJC

Asobo/MSFS need to fix the code base…

Just now, Bert Pieke said:

I must not be "global" then... 😉

It was at the time...!

I'm not bothered by the little issues and bugs, I'm well aware that happen. It's the blatant obvious regressions, bugs et all. I don't play the Sim with my head in the sand pretending everything is Rosey Lea, when I see persistent issues continually being "there" then I'll shout about it until things get better....over one year on and we're - ok *I* - am still seeing the same schoolboy errors.

• Like 1

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

4 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

As soon as you explain why many of us (often) have nothing of the sort, while using the exact same software.

Even now, I see on the asobo oriented facebook flightsim groups people reporting things like "Autopilot doesn't work!!! This is trash!!!" or "7000 CTD's this morning!!! Asobo has no quality control!!!

And while I'm reading that my A320 is cruising flawlessly over PA (or wherever) soon to come in for a flawless landing.

Again.

It goes on and on.

Its a what came first - the chicken or the egg scenario.  One person has a flawless experience but another has CTDs every flight.  MS release a hotfix and then both people have a flawless experience - was it MS that didn't code for certain hardware and fixed the code, or was it faulty hardware?  In my case I have 50 plus games and simulators in Steam that work fine without needing the hotfix from MS.  To me that suggests the MSFS code in some way was not robust enough before the hotfix.

You were probably cruising flawlessly over PA while I couldn't even load MSFS for four days, and that had nothing to do with my hardware.  

• Like 1

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

12 minutes ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

You were probably cruising flawlessly over PA while I couldn't even load MSFS for four days, and that had nothing to do with my hardware.  

Maybe.

I do think it's interesting that as far as I can tell, nobody ever thinks it might be a problem on their side.

I must be an odd duck (I think) since my first assumption is that its always on my side, unless I've gone through the steps/and seen enough people with the same issue, as to make error on my part unlikely.

(And then I still wonder if it might be me) 

• Like 2

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

CTDs are a whole other ball game, personally I only have been affected when I overclocked my GPU and when trying to use the same Airport which must've had a bug. Other than that they're rare for me thankfully

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

1 hour ago, HiFlyer said:

Maybe.

I do think it's interesting that as far as I can tell, nobody ever thinks it might be a problem on their side.

I must be an odd duck (I think) since my first assumption is that its always on my side, unless I've gone through the steps/and seen enough people with the same issue, as to make error on my part unlikely.

(And then I still wonder if it might be me) 

No maybe about it - you seemed to have missed I thought it was my end for four days until I fixed it.  I initially thought it was my hardware so spent two days looking at my router, network cards, configuration.  It was 100 percent an MS issue.

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

1 hour ago, MarcG said:

Uumm ok;

Tree line broken again, affects everyone (global issue).

Sensitivity page missing from UI, affected everyone at the time (global issue).

VR pre terrain caching missing in UI, granted only VR users but regardless, affected all VR users.

Flaps issue, global

Terrain spikes, global

The list goes on!

In the grand scheme of things, everything on that list is really pretty minor.  All have fairly easy work arounds and are hardly game breaking.  Not saying they dont need to be fixed, but considering the size of the codebase and the speed to which development has been occurring in the past year, I dont see that list as being worthy of dragging Asobo over the coals.

I'm struck by the point that as outsiders we ONLY see the problems that werent fixed and are not privy to the volume of stuff that was without us even realizing it.   The terrain spikes example is actually a great metaphor for this.  While they may indeed by "global" in so far that they occur in places all around the globe, they arent everywhere.  In fact if you reported this as a fraction of land area the percentage would be miniscule.  If, however, you happen to live in real life near where one of these spikes are occuring, the fact that its a tiny percentage would not matter - it would seem like a heinous crime.  In the meantime, we all ignore the remaining 99.999% that looks amazing and skip right past recognition of the accomplishment that made it happen.

I've said this before, but I'll say it again, this group of people is making an incredibly complex piece of software for the benefit of our entertainment.  It is not mission critical code for which lives are at stake.  We pay them a fairly modest fee for the fruits of their labor for which I personally are very grateful.  Its totally ok to be critical, but as in all things perspective is important.  Calling out bugs is fine.  Condemning them as hapless amateurs, or worse, heartless conglomerates cynically out to steal your cash... not so much.  At some point if you actually keep biting the hand that feeds you, you stop being fed.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

Its a what came first - the chicken or the egg scenario.  One person has a flawless experience but another has CTDs every flight.  MS release a hotfix and then both people have a flawless experience - was it MS that didn't code for certain hardware and fixed the code, or was it faulty hardware?  In my case I have 50 plus games and simulators in Steam that work fine without needing the hotfix from MS.  To me that suggests the MSFS code in some way was not robust enough before the hotfix.

Exactly. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

Back in the day, the true test of IBM compatibility for PCs was… does it run MSFS. I guess if you’re getting crashes, your computer is not compatible. 🙂

1 hour ago, MarcG said:

Uumm ok;

Tree line broken again, affects everyone (global issue).

Sensitivity page missing from UI, affected everyone at the time (global issue).

VR pre terrain caching missing in UI, granted only VR users but regardless, affected all VR users.

Flaps issue, global

Terrain spikes, global

The list goes on!

I guess we differ.

I (personally) see that stuff as, relatively minor issues at best, especially with all the excellent things that have, and continue to be accomplished.

I just keep it in mind that on any given day on Avsim, in the subforums of our legacy sims, somebody, and usually multiple somebodies' are reporting an issue.

Like....... dayglo green trees that existed for years..... terrain spikes that pretty much exist in every sim, freezes and CTD's for reasons known and unknown... missing seasons... Interminable loading times.... etc, etc.

The list goes on!

And this is in sims that have had multiple iterations, sometimes over decades, with certain issues that have been reported into infinity with still no resolution in sight.

Yet, here we have Asobo, a company that has never created a flightsim before, being essentially given a year after release (seemingly) to reach a state of perfection decades old sims still cannot fully claim, or be thrown to the metaphorical dogs.

I just...... don't see the logic. Or really, understand the impatience, when we've already waited decades for these advancements, and honestly, after the death of FSX, the failure of MSflight, and the Implosion of Dovetail, I suspect most of us had accepted that we would never get.....

Anything as impressive overall as what is being offered to us now..

We just seem to like looking gift horses in the mouth.

• Like 2

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

35 minutes ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

you seemed to have missed I thought it was my end for four days until I fixed it.  I initially thought it was my hardware so spent two days looking at my router, network cards, configuration.  It was 100 percent an MS issue.

You are correct, I seem to have missed that. Apologies.

Devons rig