Sign in to follow this  
newtie

Thinkin' about jumping in..

Hi all-

I'm thinking about installing MSFS and was wondering what everyone started with. i see the Standard-Deluxe Premium and have looked at the comparison.

Other than aircraft and airports, are the Deluxeand Premium versions worth the extra money? I'm thinking 3rd party devs will pick up the slack as time goes on.

I see the PMDG DC6 is available too. Nice. I miss that aircraft in 5.2 :>(

The two things I started with are the Standard edition and a new 500 GB SSD.

If you have at least 16 GB RAM and 8GB VRAM, you should be good to go.

ps.  A decent internet connection does not hurt either.. 😉

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

17 minutes ago, newtie said:

Hi all-

I'm thinking about installing MSFS and was wondering what everyone started with. i see the Standard-Deluxe Premium and have looked at the comparison.

Other than aircraft and airports, are the Deluxeand Premium versions worth the extra money? I'm thinking 3rd party devs will pick up the slack as time goes on.

I see the PMDG DC6 is available too. Nice. I miss that aircraft in 5.2 :>(

well, there is not ai traffic. (although they sold us there was).

i bought deluxe edition and i have wonderfull airports and clouds. Well said: wonderfull empty airports and empty skyes.

🙂

• Like 1

One more important decision might be if you go with the MS Store or the Steam version. Both are identical as such, MS Store has the advantage you can run it on a XBox as well (not necessarily all addons though). Concerning installation I suggest a quick glance through fora...

I have the Deluxe version, mostly because of the Steam gauge C172, but if you don't need the included airports or planes the Standard version is fine as well. 

That statement with "no AI" should be taken with a grain of salt, in my mind. I just was in KSFO and it was all but empty and full of traffic (using the Live Traffic setting).

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Same as Michael, I only went with the deluxe (or maybe premium) version to have access to the C172 steam gauge, this was a plane I did most of my irl flying in and knew I was going to get a lot of use out of that version, so the extra cost already paid for itself with the amount of hours I used that model.

However in saying that, if it wasn’t for that aircraft alone I would say the standard version would have suited me properly, as I really don’t get any additional usage or value from the deluxe version (as I mentioned, apart from the C172 steam) 

Cheers!

Edited by flyinpilot212121

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

There are options. You can get a Game Pass for $1 and a 1 month trial (of all their games). If you like it, you then get the choice of buying the version you want from the store or you can get it through Steam.

It seems the Steam version is easier to update when that time rolls around. I have the regular Store version.

39 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

The two things I started with are the Standard edition and a new 500 GB SSD.

If you have at least 16 GB RAM and 8GB VRAM, you should be good to go.

ps.  A decent internet connection does not hurt either.. 😉

I started with 1TB SSD and now I wish I bought the 2 TB instead. I think down the road with new updates, customized buildings and potentially future gateway airports, MSFS may take a lot more space than it initially required.

Updating any version but the Steam version has been a nightmare for thousands of people. It's the same price where ever you buy it. The Marketplace window inside MSFS is the same for all versions. But as Michael says, buying direct from Microsoft gets you the xBox version free (there is no subscription fee necessary with the xbox version or the PC version, all the fees are upfront in the purchase price). Microsoft will probably fix the update part of their store some day.

• Like 1

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

MSFS Premium Deluxe is definitely worth it IMO.  You can compare versions if you want but the extra aircraft are very nice, and especially with community mods and the new G1000 NXI. I never knew I would enjoy flying small default planes in any sim. Likewise the extra airports in Premium deluxe are worth it too. I am happy with the quality of the extra high detailed airports. Go for Premium Deluxe.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, pmb said:

I suggest a quick glance through fora..

I have to say that a quick glance has created most of the installation problems in the community.  I would suggest a long and hard look at it all, particularly given the changes to install procedures lately. 

I would also suggest that the differences between the basic and the most expensive will very quickly suggest to you which version you may want. Basically the differences are aircraft and airports.  Just remember that all aircraft in all versions are default but the extra airports are quite detailed.

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

22 minutes ago, MegaRiceBall said:

I think down the road with new updates, customized buildings and potentially future gateway airports, MSFS may take a lot more space than it initially required.

Luckily, you can store various addons on different drives, if need be.

The Addons Linker app is great in that regard, and a "must-have" 🙂

• Like 2

Bert

I personally enjoy flying the Cessna Citation Longitude, which is available only with the Premium Deluxe version. I like the Longitude because it offers the best of both world: You can fly it across the Atlantic Ocean or you can fly it low and slow for sightseeing. Also, the Longitude's autopilot currently works well, and it is easy and fun to fly.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

47 minutes ago, Greazer said:

MSFS Premium Deluxe is definitely worth it IMO.  You can compare versions if you want but the extra aircraft are very nice, and especially with community mods and the new G1000 NXI. I never knew I would enjoy flying small default planes in any sim. Likewise the extra airports in Premium deluxe are worth it too. I am happy with the quality of the extra high detailed airports. Go for Premium Deluxe.

Agree - it's worth it now.  With the g1000 NXi working in the Baron, and the WT g3000 in the Longitude, the analogue c172, you've got a decent assortment of planes.  Not to mention the bonus hi def airports.

• Like 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

With regard to the premium deluxe versions, it depends on what you are intending to do with this sim. They are basically similar quality to the other default aircraft.

If your interest is basically airliners and working though flows and procedures it is a waste of money as you will only get the 787 which is at best a bit lacklustre.

If you want to just expand your GA choices and will actually fly what is on offer, then it works out at just small change per aircraft/airport, and is a bargain.

My Personal assessment:

Deluxe:
I fly the Beechcraft Baron G58 (not study level but flies OK) and the very very good Steam Gauge Cessna 172 Skyhawk a lot. The G58 is particularly useful in a Neofly career. The Steam 172 is a gem and alone is worth the cost of the whole Deluxe package.

Premium:
The Cessna Citation Longitude with the freeware improvement mod gets plenty of use by me. I prefer it for quick flights to the modded Citation CJ4 which has fantastic detail but I find fiddly. I also occasionally fly the Cirrus SR22 which is a good all rounder. The Pipistrel Virus SW121 is a bit of an unsung hero and hidden gem, great cockpit views, good performance, with the speed brake can land on surprisingly short strips and is also surprisingly easy to fly. All up, Premium for me was worth the money.

All of the above is “worth it for me” .

Clearly if you fly all 10 planes regularly the Premium/Deluxe package is a bargain as just one payware plane (albeit hopefully way more detailed) can cost more by itself then all ten, however if instead you never or very rarely will fly any of them, it could be a total waste of money. Depends on the user.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

I also occasionally fly the Cirrus SR22 which is a good all rounder.

Oh totally forgot about the Cirrus - also a LOT nicer now with some slick repaints and WT G1000 NXi (all free @newtie )

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |