Sign in to follow this  
Bert Pieke

Improvement for C172 nose wheel

If you are bothered by the C172's nose wheel buried in the tarmac and even more so when braking, here is an improvement.Back up the aircraft.cfg file and edit //point.0 = 1, 0.90, 0.00, -4.09, 1500, 0, 0.5, 22.0, 0.25,2.5, 0.7, 0.0, 0.0, 0 point.0 = 1, 0.90, 0.00, -4.12, 1500, 0, 0.5, 22.0, 0.16,2.0, 0.6, 0.0, 0.0, 0 The upper line is the original, commented out with two slashes.Feel free to experiment and if you can come up with a better version, please post.BTW, the VC in the C172 is really nice !

Bert

Hi,Has anyone else tried this, and I'd love to know what you think.I was practicing stalls in the default 172, and it seemed very squirrely to me. It snap to the left immediately upon stall and I could not hold the plane steady during the stall.So I replaced the airfile with Rob Young's freeware version from RealAir Simulations, and then used Winmerge (awesome program) to compare the default and the RASim aircraft.cfg file and made appropriate changes (basically, I kept the RASim .cfg file as is and added any lines that were missing (not too many)).It now stalls much more controllably (almost too benign), and I get good "rotation about a point" during a full power on stall.Anyone have any comments about this?Thanks,Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)N15802 KASH '73 Piper Cherokee Challenger 180

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

Guest rap777

Hi !Could you upload your new airfile? (i hope this would be OK with Rob?)All the best and God blessAlfredskype: rapture777

Guest JoeW

I have mine set to this:point.0 = 1, 0.90, 0.00, -4.20, 1500, 0, 0.5, 22.0, 0.25,2.5, 0.7, 0.0, 0.0, 0I like this as the nose wheel looks like the others now.Joe W.

Looks good when standing still.... not so good when braking...Why Microsoft did not get this right is beyond me...The C172 is really improved over the FS2004 version, but it still has some little things that need fixing... I also find that I can see through the edges of the compass in the VC...

Bert

I have not yet implemented either of these changes yet, but, the thought comes to mind that perhaps MS didn't get it right because of the braking issue you pointed out. Perhaps a change to the amount of compression of the strut upon braking could fix it? Can this be done in the airfile or config file? Does anyone else agree that this might be an issue?Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)N15802 KASH '73 Piper Cherokee Challenger 180

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

Thomas, can you upload the Aircraft.cfg you modified or just post the additional lines that one could add on his own?Thanks.

If you check my modifications (above) you'll see that I changed the compression to keep the wheel from sinking in under braking.I merely tried to point out that the second modification version in this post only fixes the stationary situation.

Bert