Sign in to follow this  
mSparks

I finally bought EGCB

IkpDGnt.png

Thought this one deserved a thread of its own, because EGCB has been on my shopping list since it was first released.

I also didn't buy sooner because I tried the GB demos and really wasn't that impressed, I'd seen the videos for EGCB and knew it was good, but I'm really not one to buy things purely for their visuals, plus, I had "getting XP bleeping working" on my list first, my orthos for the UK were "good" and it didn't really seem _that_ much better.

Occasionally I pop in to the MSFS forum to have a read and a laugh at how much further they have to go there, sometimes I feel really sorry for them, sometimes there is hope. This time I ran into this video:

and was so utterly blown away at how bad it looked, that I finally pulled the household card out and gave people who deserve it some money. 

It wasn't even expensive, I feel like an utter fool having waited so long. EGCB has a special place in my heart because it was my first helo flight as a birthday present, this is what that looked like (more than a decade ago, when video cameras still used tapes....)

Plus the whole OrbX linux experience was an absolute dream. very nostalgic to see the the ski center and trafford center in the background and all the cars racing down the M60, used to do that a lot when I was back there, (some of you may even have seen my impersonation of the ghost rider videos from when I was young and even more stupid than I am now).

Just wow, massive hugs to everyone who brought that all together.

• Like 4

AutoATC Developer

Occasionally I pop in to the XP forum to have a read and a laugh at how much further they have to go there, sometimes I feel really sorry for them, sometimes there is hope .

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, johnbow72 said:

Occasionally I pop in to the XP forum to have a read and a laugh at how much further they have to go there, sometimes I feel really sorry for them, sometimes there is hope .

There is simply no comparison tbh

IqyYBmn.png

It's an absolute dream in VR.

Edited by mSparks
  • Like 2

AutoATC Developer

12 minutes ago, johnbow72 said:

Different strokes for different folks .

That only has meaning if you are comparing something different. So I really dont understand your point.

Edited by mSparks
  • Like 1

AutoATC Developer

32 minutes ago, johnbow72 said:

Obviously your a XP fan

Not really, generally it looks like a PS2 game and wastes far too much of my time.

I'm a fan of flying helicopters around the North of the UK and ex Yugoslavia.

• Upvote 1

AutoATC Developer

8 hours ago, mSparks said:

I finally pulled the household card out and gave people who deserve it some money. 

It wasn't even expensive, I feel like an utter fool having waited so long. EGCB has a special place in my heart because it was my first helo flight as a birthday

Thanks, that's my airport so glad you like it :cool:. I also did some lessons out of there many years ago so it was one I wanted to see done in nice detail in the sim

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tonywob said:

I also did some lessons out of there many years ago so it was one I wanted to see done in nice detail in the sim

Nice, I was a little worried about how it would blend in with the lvl16 cloudless ortho I built, but the join is barely visible 

QIYOSvp.png

For those not sure what I'm talking about the upper part of the screenshot is the Ortho included with EGCB, the fields in the bottom of the screenshot are lvl16 ortho4xp +

you can see it if you are looking, but definitely not an immersion breaker.

1 hour ago, tonywob said:

Thanks, that's my airport so glad you like it

I was sure you told me this before and encouraged me to buy it a while ago, I was looking for when that was for the OP but it must have been in a locked thread so forum search wouldn't return it.......

Any idea how this survives into XP12? I'm glad its made flying around Manchester bearable (XP criticism, default round there is not bearable, decent lighting and trees won't change that), but it would be great to get this level of detail with decent lighting and trees.

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

5 minutes ago, mSparks said:

Any idea how this survives into XP12? I'm glad its made flying around Manchester bearable (XP criticism, default round there is not bearable, decent lighting and trees won't change that), but it would be great to get this level of detail with decent lighting and trees.

I'll find out this weekend hopefully. My hope is everything will be compatible (and I don't see why it won't be) and I'll review how to update the regions and my airports with the new tree tech or any PBR changes required.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

On 9/21/2021 at 10:39 AM, tonywob said:

I'll find out this weekend hopefully.

Sooo, how excited is the OrbX team by what they saw in the tech demos?

AutoATC Developer