Sign in to follow this  
Roy Warren

Time to enjoy what you have

I am 85 years old and have had every version of MSFS since the first one, as well as several other titles. 

Back in the early days I used to wish that someday this sim would be like the world really is, instead of leaving so much to my imagination.  Well now we have it..

Some day after I'm gone, maybe we could land at an airport.  Rent a car. The drive around explore the town with something like Google Street View..  But for now what we have is awesome.

When TV first came out, we always had the latest state of the art televisions.  Dad was always fiddling with the controls and settings to get a better picture.  New and better antennas,  etc.

As far as I know, he never watched TV just for the enjoyment of the show. All he cared about was the quality of the picture. 

I find the same thing here.  Most post I have read complain about nit pick things that don't really matter.  This is a very complex sim and time should take care of a lot of these issues.

But for now, the sim is for flying from point A to point B.  Not, why don't the dandelions show up in my yard when I fly over it.

Time to stop complaining and start enjoying what we have.

Roy

• Like 137
  • Upvote 15

This is for true the best entry here in AVSIM in the past years.

Full agree. Learn to enjoy what you have.

• Like 2

Regards, Jan Ast

Win 11 PC | Ryzen 7800 X3D | RTX 3080 Ti | LG 42 C2
Cockpit 😉 | TrackIR 5 | Octavia IFR-1 | Virpil Alpha on WarBRD, Virpil CM3 Throttle, Virpil Sharka Control Panel | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | TM TPM Rudder

Well said and I couldn't agree more with your statement. Time to move on and let Asobo work on the shortcomings.

• Like 2

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

25 minutes ago, Roy Warren said:

I am 85 years old and have had every version of MSFS since the first one, as well as several other titles. 

Back in the early days I used to wish that someday this sim would be like the world really is, instead of leaving so much to my imagination.  Well now we have it..

Some day after I'm gone, maybe we could land at an airport.  Rent a car. The drive around explore the town with something like Google Street View..  But for now what we have is awesome.

When TV first came out, we always had the latest state of the art televisions.  Dad was always fiddling with the controls and settings to get a better picture.  New and better antennas,  etc.

As far as I know, he never watched TV just for the enjoyment of the show. All he cared about was the quality of the picture. 

I find the same thing here.  Most post I have read complain about nit pick things that don't really matter.  This is a very complex sim and time should take care of a lot of these issues.

But for now, the sim is for flying from point A to point B.  Not, why don't the dandelions show up in my yard when I fly over it.

Time to stop complaining and start enjoying what we have.

Roy

And don't forget the #**# Trees.....😁

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Great post and very wise words. It has made me think twice now before bawling about trees and other stuff when in actuality the planes work brilliantly, the world looks amazing and like you said - look what we had before and what we have now. 

Also just want to add that many around the world would love to play MSFS but cannot afford an XBSX let alone a powerful PC. Many millions dont own either. They watch YouTube and wish they too could enjoy what I have....and here I am complaining about tree lines. 

Yes the game has issues, but what game does not? It will settle down in time. 

Definitely the wake up call I needed! Thank you!!  Heres to many more happy years of virtual flying! 🙂

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, ThrottleUp said:

Great post and very wise words. It has made me think twice now before bawling about trees and other stuff when in actuality the planes work brilliantly, the world looks amazing and like you said - look what we had before and what we have now. 

Also just want to add that many around the world would love to play MSFS but cannot afford an XBSX let alone a powerful PC. Many millions dont own either. They watch YouTube and wish they too could enjoy what I have....and here I am complaining about tree lines. 

Yes the game has issues, but what game does not? It will settle down in time. 

Definitely the wake up call I needed! Thank you!!  Heres to many more happy years of virtual flying! 🙂

I think no matter what Asobo does, there are a small group of people that will act like something missing is the end of the world. A terminal building with bathrooms, but the toilets don't flush for instance, would be an example. It will never satisfy the glass is half empty crowd. 

Edited by Bobsk8
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Great post, however as paying customers I don’t think constructive criticism to help push the sim in a better direction is doing any harm. Especially coming from experienced simmers such as you and I. 

I turned 30 just the other week, and my first sim was fs98. Yes we have come a long way and I personally believe no other sim can compare to FS2020… and as mentioned I do believe it will mature over time and stay as the superior sim for many years to come. 

Edited by Ridvan Celik
  • Like 1

If we couldn't discuss what was right and wrong with the sim, what would be the point in any of us being here?  A strange post.  I think if he didn't preface it with being 85 and an MSFS veteran he'd have been shot down. 

I enjoy MSFS and want it to be better, there are some big bugs and big regressions, but of course it's way better than what we used to have..  But if we were all satisfied then would we have ever got this far?

Edited by Langeveldt
  • Like 2

Hi Roy,

So I'm supposed to enjoy a sim that I paid $120 for and thousands of dollars on hardware when every time the sim is updated something is broken that either affects the sim or the hardware I need to enjoy it?

OKAY

• Like 1

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

This hobby has progressed because simmers always wanted more, more candy, more serious aerodynamics and engine simulations, more convincing weather and so on and so forth and brilliant developers obliged.  

I came to Avsim at the time when Fly! was the new kid in the block, early 2000-late 90's I don't remember, and forums have always been places of heated discussions about that, how to make it move forward. 

And it is good. 

Edited by Dominique_K
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam