Sign in to follow this  
Roy Warren

Time to enjoy what you have

11 minutes ago, 6297J said:

Ah well. It was good while it lasted.

It was never gonna last. 😄

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

19 minutes ago, Dominique_K said:

This hobby has progressed because simmers always wanted more, more candy, more serious aerodynamics and engine simulations, more convincing weather and so on and so forth and brilliant developers obliged.  

Exactly. 

Also, it's possible to enjoy and criticize at the same time. Is it not what sommeliers do for a living? 🙂

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

2 hours ago, Roy Warren said:

I am 85 years old and have had every version of MSFS since the first one, as well as several other titles. 

Back in the early days I used to wish that someday this sim would be like the world really is, instead of leaving so much to my imagination.  Well now we have it..

Some day after I'm gone, maybe we could land at an airport.  Rent a car. The drive around explore the town with something like Google Street View..  But for now what we have is awesome.

When TV first came out, we always had the latest state of the art televisions.  Dad was always fiddling with the controls and settings to get a better picture.  New and better antennas,  etc.

As far as I know, he never watched TV just for the enjoyment of the show. All he cared about was the quality of the picture. 

I find the same thing here.  Most post I have read complain about nit pick things that don't really matter.  This is a very complex sim and time should take care of a lot of these issues.

But for now, the sim is for flying from point A to point B.  Not, why don't the dandelions show up in my yard when I fly over it.

Time to stop complaining and start enjoying what we have.

Roy

@Roy Warren I love the 80+ year olds! Way back when... I sold what was probably the first shareware terminal program (this was before the web --think modems, bbs'es and protocols) that was self-documenting and didn't come with a manual. These were relatively complicated compared to the browsers that we have today.

I had a tech support call who asked lots of very basic questions. After a while, I very politely and respectfully suggested that maybe what he needs is to get a program that included a manual.

I never forgot his reply:

I'm 80+ years old. I don't have time to read stinkin' manuals!!

Lol.

• Like 1

Hardware: i7-8700k, GTX 1070-ti, 32GB ram, NVMe/SSD drives with lots of free space.
Software: latest Windows 10 Pro, P3Dv4.5+, FSX Steam, and lots of addons (100+ mostly Orbx stuff).

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

1 hour ago, 6297J said:

Ah well. It was good while it lasted. 

ROFLMAO..I was waiting for it trust me !

Even when i am most irritated with the sim i take a step back when someone else finds joy in it and wants to express it. Especially when they aren't being a word not allowed about it. Sometimes its not the place and time to be bringing up objections and just appreciate that even though some arent fully happy with the sim. Others can still find the positives out of it. Ive been learning to do this myself and find that its a much more simple and less stressful proposition for me at the end of the day

But that's just my own opinion. Everyone else is free to do as they please (within reason of course).

Glad the OP is having fun.. That's what its all about at the end of the day.

Cheers

Edited by Maxis
  • Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

Excellent post, Roy. Agreed on all points. Even at 69, I find life is shortening and someday (hopefully), I'll be 85, 16 years from now enjoying MSFS still in it's future form and remember what you said as I not only fly, but drive a car, park, get out and walk virtually through my home. Or a terminal at my local field or airport.

United001

Windows 10 Pro, version: 10.0.18363 Build 18363 - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 8 Logical Processors; Mobo: Z390 Phatom Gaming 4S-IB: Physical Memory: 16Gigs; GPU: NVIDIA GeForce FTX 2080 Super, 8 Gigs; 500Gigs Hard-Drive; 1TB SSD; 1TB SSD; 50" Samsung 4K Flat-screen monitor; 26" LG side-car monitor. Saitek Yoke and Throttle. Saitek Rudder Pedals.
Screen Resolution: Full Screen: 1920X1080 Full and Windowed modes. 

I had been enjoying the sim with its limitations and trust me I honestly had got to the point where I just take off and land without pulling my hair out about the things that needs fixing. 

Image removed as image is no longer available.

I'm having flashbacks of my Dad telling me to go outside to turn the antenna to improve signal reception. Finally he yells "hold it right there." 

Unfortunately, holding it right literally meant keeping my hands on the pole because, some how, it provided the best reception!

But hey, I loved your point! Flight Siming keeps getting better.

Bill Moore

I agree with the sentiment of your post, it's important to take a step back and enjoy what we have now. What we can experience in this sim that is lightyears ahead of the others.

That being said, the reason this sim is so great is that people wanted more. People complain about things that are broken, those things are then fixed. People ask for new features, and eventually they arrive. Thanks to both Asobo and the mod community.

So I do disagree with the outlook from certain posters, "those pesky complainers who never shut up". While there are different ways to offer criticism, we all need to have a lot of headroom for complaints and suggestions. 

• Like 2

R7 5800X3D | RTX 4080 OC 16 GB | 64 GB 3600 | 3440x1440 G-Sync | Logitech Pro Throttles Rudder Yoke Panels | Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS | TrackIR 5 | Oculus Rift S
Experience with Flight Simulator since early 1990s

Thanks for all the kind remarks.  And also to those who expressed that they want to continue to call out faults in the sim.  Please continue to do so.  Your input is important also.

My thoughts are just to "Keep the main thing, the main thing"  The glass is 90 percent full.

My only fault with trees is as I was landing at Rwy 27 in Kobe, Japan,(RJBE) there is a tall tree right in the threshold of the runway. I suspect this was some programmer having a little fun with us.

I was able to dodge it, but not a pretty landing. 🙂 

Enjoy,

Roy

• Like 4

I think there is some wisdom to the OP's post. In my case I think the Caravan (with a mod) is stable so I am just going to focus on the one plane I can fly without (I hope) CTDs. I just need ONE PLANE that works lol. The Caravan could be that plane!  

• Like 2

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

4 hours ago, DJJose said:

sim that I paid $120 for and thousands of dollars on hardware

Your decision to spend the thousands. Spent thousands on guitars, amps, mixing stuff and the pc to run my DAW. Still don't have a hit record, and the DAW crashes occasionally. I blame it on the software too. 

Perspective my friend. 

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Roy Warren said:

Thanks for all the kind remarks.  And also to those who expressed that they want to continue to call out faults in the sim.  Please continue to do so.  Your input is important also.

My thoughts are just to "Keep the main thing, the main thing"  The glass is 90 percent full.

My only fault with trees is as I was landing at Rwy 27 in Kobe, Japan,(RJBE) there is a tall tree right in the threshold of the runway. I suspect this was some programmer having a little fun with us.

I was able to dodge it, but not a pretty landing. 🙂 

Enjoy,

Roy

I buy and buy not so much because its necessarily realistic and true to life, but because some of the sceneries and planes are works of art and appreciated as such.

It's just like going to the movies. It's entertainment. There are times many of us would rather see a colorful blockbuster of a movie about an event instead of watching a black and white documentary of the same event (or heaven forbid, read a 1,000 page history book about the event).

• Like 1

Hardware: i7-8700k, GTX 1070-ti, 32GB ram, NVMe/SSD drives with lots of free space.
Software: latest Windows 10 Pro, P3Dv4.5+, FSX Steam, and lots of addons (100+ mostly Orbx stuff).

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

Some folks cups are half full and some half empty.

What is the best motivator? Praise, criticism or maybe a mix?

.....I'm enjoying the MSFS experience overall.

• Like 1

i7-4790k @ 4.4ghz for the moment. Asus z87-k mobo. GTX 1080, 32gb ram. couple of SSDs....Saitek X52

Thanks Roy for these wise words, but things have changed, we spent our time back in the days trying to get the best look/performance that we could get and we lost most of the possible enjoyable time there, but mostly with out the privilege of forums/discord/reddit to express our self, when MSFS came along, it brought the unthinkable for us old timers, and we were affected by the jaw dropping factor that came with it and we forgot/ignored most of the other glitches here and there (even when we knew them), so we want to enjoy what we have been missing for a long time (no time to waste), but for the new digital generation, the standards have changed, they have state of the art games that they compare to, I criticize my kids when I see their hand writing (compared to our days/standards), but when I watch them use their gadgets and see how fast they type using mobile phone touch screens, I admire that and I remind my self to step aside and let them live their moment, we had our moments where some satellite photo integration into the sim was an achievement, while today it's in every corner of our lives and when there is a glitch some where, it is not going to be ignored by today's digital generation, so what I'm saying is, we have been there but with different standards, that is all.

God bless.

• Like 3

Ali A.

MSFS on PC: I9-13900KS | ASUS ROG STRIX Z790 MB | 32GB DDR5/7200MHz RAM | ASUS TUF RTX4090 OCE | 1TB M.2 Samsung 990 Pro (Windows) +2TB Samsung 990 Pro for MSFS + 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD for DATA | EK-Nucleus AIO CR360 Lux D-RGB CPU cooler.

HP Reverb G2 VR (occasional use) | ASUS ROG Strix XG43UQ 4K monitor | Tobii Eye tracker 5 | Logitech sound system 7.1 | VIRPIL Controls (Joystick + thrust levers + rudder pedals) | Windows 11 Pro.