Sign in to follow this  
AWACS

Memories of Pro-Pilot, only better

After two days with FSX, I've now adjusted the pilot position in the C172 to take into account my height (I'm 6'4") and legs...To my delight, it is like re-discovering Pro-Pilot, only better... The view out over the cowling is something I've missed.The default C172 in FSX is really nice ! Not to mention the scenery..http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/168192.jpg

Bert

Ah yes, the grand Pro Pilot sim by Sierra. I still have it and am thumbing through the excellent Flight Companion 288 pages long which accompanied it. Still use the companion on a regular basis. Too bad MS didn't provide a hard copy equivalent to us with FS9 and now with FSX. Gary

>After two days with FSX, I've now adjusted the pilot position>in the C172 to take into account my height (I'm 6'4") and>legs...>>To my delight, it is like re-discovering Pro-Pilot, only>better... The view out over the cowling is something I've>missed.>>The default C172 in FSX is really nice ! Not to mention the>scenery..>>http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/168192.jpgDid you adjust the view with the aircraft.cfg or just using keystrokes?If you did it within the config would you please post?I've got a copy of Pro Pilot sitting on the shelf:)Craig>

Guest wji

Wow, that screen is sharp as a tack.You sure know how to hurt a guy . . . I did some spring cleaning last month and threw all the old stuff out: Original shrink-wrapped FS4 (ten other things remaining unnamed) and ProPilot, complete ring-binder manual and all. :-) . . . but as you've noted . . . who needs it.[/font size=4]

Yup, the memories. I still have a copy of the Pro Pilot II beta CD on my shelves...Chris Porter:-outtaPerthWestern Australia

I first tried to find the "optimal" setting (for me) with keystrokes and when I had that, I tried to duplicate this via changes in the panel.cfg and aircraft.cfg files. I actually had to go back and consult the Avsim Panel & Aircraft design forum to remember what all the settings do since I had not tinkered with this for a while.I'll post my settings below, but for the ones who want to know what is what, let me put it in my words:The aircraft.cfg file allows you to define where the pilot's head is relative to the airplane. Forward/back, side to side, up/down. This is in the Views section and the numbers are in feet (or so they say)..The panel.cfg file allows you to define the angles of the pilot's head or eyes: pitch/bank/yaw relative to the axis of the airplane (in degrees).My settings (brackets should be square):Aircraft.cfg(Views)//eyepoint= -3.95, -0.85, 1.9 (feet) longitudinal, lateral, vertical distance from reference datumeyepoint= -4.5, -0.81, 2.25 Panel.cfg(Views)VIEW_FORWARD_ZOOM=0.85//VIEW_FORWARD_DIR= 8.0, 0.0, 0.0VIEW_FORWARD_DIR= 12.0, -0.10, 0.0 // up-down, bank, left-right

Bert

>I first tried to find the "optimal" setting (for me) with>keystrokes and when I had that, I tried to duplicate this via>changes in the panel.cfg and aircraft.cfg files. I actually>had to go back and consult the Avsim Panel & Aircraft design>forum to remember what all the settings do since I had not>tinkered with this for a while.>>I'll post my settings below, but for the ones who want to know>what is what, let me put it in my words:>>The aircraft.cfg file allows you to define where the pilot's>head is relative to the airplane. Forward/back, side to side,>up/down. This is in the Views section and the numbers are in>feet (or so they say)..>>The panel.cfg file allows you to define the angles of the>pilot's head or eyes: pitch/bank/yaw relative to the axis of>the airplane (in degrees).>>My settings (brackets should be square):>>Aircraft.cfg>>(Views)>//eyepoint= -3.95, -0.85, 1.9 (feet) longitudinal,>lateral, vertical distance from reference datum>eyepoint= -4.5, -0.81, 2.25 >>>Panel.cfg>>(Views)>VIEW_FORWARD_ZOOM=0.85>//VIEW_FORWARD_DIR= 8.0, 0.0, 0.0>VIEW_FORWARD_DIR= 12.0, -0.10, 0.0 // up-down, bank,>left-right Bert, Worked like a charm. Many thanks. Craig

>Me too-maybe it will be a collectors item in 50 years...>http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpgWhat could have been Geof...What could have been indeed. If I remember correctly, wasn't there some company that was supposed to be getting the code base and continuing the development???Wow that was a long time ago.Cheers,Chris Porter:-outtaPerthWestern Australia

>Wow that was a long time ago.>Yes, a long time ago! Was the tail end of 1999 (or possibly 2000), when "Pork" officially buried Pro-Pilot along with a tombstone in my backyard; after a small Pro-Pilot get together with people from across the country, and getting a bit drunk. This resting space has since been occupied by a shed. :-hah L.Adamson

One more thing... I you want to bring the horizon down a bit in the 2d views so that they look the same as the virtual cockpit, edit the panel.cfg file one more time and for both the main panel view and landing panel view, change the views to:view_window_rect=0,0,8192,6144This brings the outside views all the way down to the bottom of the screen behind the panels.

Bert

>After two days with FSX, I've now adjusted the pilot position>in the C172 to take into account my height (I'm 6'4") and>legs...>>To my delight, it is like re-discovering Pro-Pilot, only>better... The view out over the cowling is something I've>missed.>>The default C172 in FSX is really nice ! Not to mention the>scenery..>>http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/168192.jpg>Ahh! Pro Pilot! Remember how you could settle into an overcast in those volumetric clouds and really be socked in completely? And remember how breathtaking it was to break out on top of those clouds into a blue sky and look down on the overcast? I haven't seen clouds as real as those before or since. Heck, I haven't even seen a real overcast. Maybe someday.Dewey