Sign in to follow this  
Guest dswo

How to turn off "Show ATC text" permanently?

Guest dswo

>Another fine example of a proclaimed "bug" being nothing more>than user(memory) error.This wasn't user error or memory lapse. A solution was found, but the vast majority of these settings are NOT linked to the default flight, any more than autogen density is linked or GA traffic percentage. Nor was it so linked in FS9. Nor is there any mention of linking in the Learning Center page for "Changing General Settings."

Vgbaron,Your flippant and unnecessary post requires a response.The fact is that FS-X has regressive behavior - i.e. something that worked in FS9, doesn't anymore. FS9 correctly stored the setting of the flag in fs9.cfg. I spent (wasted) about an hour right after FS-X came out trying to figure out why that !@#$ text kept on coming back, to the point of (unsuccessfully) manually editing the new .cfg file to change the setting.In my world, anything that worked well in a previous release and doesn't work in a subsequent version is a BUG.---That said, "thanks" to the fellow that clued us in on the default flight workaround. I hadn't thought of that.Dave Blevins>>Another fine example of a proclaimed "bug" being nothing more>than user(memory) error.>>:)>>Visit the Virtual Pilot's Center>www.flightadventures.com>>http://www.hifisim.com/>Active Sky V6 Proud Supporter>Radar Contact Supporter: http://www.jdtllc.com

System: Asus P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen3 mobo *** i7 2700K @ 5gHz w/ Corsair H80 cooler

NVidia GTX 570 OC *** 8 GB 1600 Corsair Vengeance DRAM *** CoolerMaster HAF X case

System overclocked and tuned for FSX by fs-gs.com

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog stick/throttle & CH Products Pro Pedals

Various GoFlight panels *** PFC avionics stack

Well, it is either a bug or a design decision. If it is a design decision and it is not documented then it is poorly implemented. Why would you keep the switch in the config file if you are saving the state with each flight (rhetorical question). From the user perspective; Why would you want to save some flights with the switch on and others with the switch off. I would think that the users preference is rather likely to be on or off permanently, either you want the text messages or you don't. If I was a betting man, which I'm not, I would be placing my money on it being an unscheduled, unnoticed and inadvertent change that got caught up in the frantic release schedule ferrago that acompanies most IT products. I would also be betting that this behaviour won't change with SP1 either. Here is a question: Is the switch state saved if you save a specific profile and, if the user loads that profile does it override the switch saved from the flight that is loaded?Don't let anyone tell you different there is no such thing as Computer Science, it is a black art. ;)

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

Forgive me, Geof, this is not so, and requires more than a quick look or solution.It is a bug. I do not have default flights, nor use them. In fact, I have turned off the default flight in the fsx.cfg with the flag:DisablePreload=1It is a bug, that seemingly can be gotten around by saving a default flight with ATC off and then loading default flights.Otherwise, it will always default to having the ATC window on. Unchecking this in the Settings will not affect the fsx.cfg. Bug.Perhaps something important can be learned here.Best regards.Luis

Hi Luis,The important point I was referencing was that I had to edit a post to remove an insult to another fellow simmer who simply reported that he didn't have this problem.....I am hoping these days will be over soon. :-)For the record-I consider it a bug too.http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpg

Guest WWFII

>Hi Luis,>The important point I was referencing was that I had to edit a>post to remove an insult to another fellow simmer who simply>reported that he didn't have this problem.....>>I am hoping these days will be over soon. :-)>>For the record-I consider it a bug too.>http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpgIt's still a bug. Just because someone found a work-around doesn't make it not a bug anymore.

Thank you for clarifying, Geof. I agree with you and find it very unfortunate that many people feel the need to qualify others' comments with unpleasant remarks. All this unpleasantness just spoils the fun for the rest of us. Many thanks for removing such remarks.Best regards.Luis

>It is a bug. I do not have default flights, nor use them. In>fact, I have turned off the default flight in the fsx.cfg with>the flag:>>DisablePreload=1Luis, that flag only disables scenery preloading. The rest of the "default flight information" is still loaded (otherwise, you wouldn't see anything in the preview window... ;)So, whether you choose load the default flight or not, makes no difference at all. Certain settings from the default are loaded if they differ from what is saved in the fsx.cfg file...>It is a bug, that seemingly can be gotten around by saving a>default flight with ATC off and then loading default flights.That's certainly odd, as I've changed the setting several times and each time it's updated the fsx.cfg file without problem. :-beerchug

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Thank you very much, Bill. You are certainly correct, and while the flight itself is not loaded, the basic information (intial airport, aircraft, weather) from it is.I had changed my default flight from the Happy Harbour in a trike to something closer to home, before disabling the loading, and checked the flight file. Here are the variables from the Atc_Menu section:ScreenUniCoords=1943, 1215, 4306, 3933UndocCoords=0, 0, 0, 0Visible=FalseUndocked=FalseShowMessages=TrueNot that I understand it at all, but I thought that Visible=False meant to not display the ATC window. And yet it still does.I am certainly willing to look at any other information concerning this, but it seems as if the check box in the Settings menu does not permanently change the state of this variable, and the only way to get the ATC window to not display is, after launch of FS X, to then load a flight with that variable off, thereby changing the initial state of that variable to what is in the flight file.Just curious if you are loading the default flight or a saved flight when launching FS.This is not the only variable that does not work, of course. While it does not appear in the Settings menus, HideMenuNormal=1HideMenuFullscreen=1the first of these does nothing. I do not know if the second works as I never use full screen mode.Best regards.Luis

The setting:Visible=Falseonly controls whether ATC window will be open on initial loading of your a/c.The "Show ATC Text" entry is written only to the fsx.cfg file here:{ATC}ShowATCText=0At least that's what happens when I change it in the sim, then exit FSX...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest dswo

>That's certainly odd, as I've changed the setting several>times and each time it's updated the fsx.cfg file without>problem.1. Could that be because your default is saved with "Show ATC text" unchecked? 2. The test isn't whether FSX.cfg is saved correctly; it's what FSX does when it reloads. On my system, it was overwriting my saved value...until I saved my preferred setting in the default flight.