Sign in to follow this  
Guest Buck Bolduc

Activation Issue

Guest CSFO1150

Hi everyone,I plan to upgrade the Graphic Card and RAM in my PC, I want to ensure whether I need re-activate the FSX again when the hardware changed. Since the activation is a problem talked by other people in there posts.Thanks a lot in advance.Ning

Welcome to the forum(s). MS would probably say that you would not need to reactivate. A few people have found, however, that a change of video cards does, indeed, trigger a reactivation. So, the answer, IMNSHO, is most likely probably not, but, yes, maybe. I don't think anyone knows for sure. But, as reactivation problems are relatively few, I wouldn't let that stop me from changing the hardware.Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

I ran FS X for a few months on my old XP computer. I recently bought a brand new computer with Vista (so every inch of hardware is new), installed FS X on it and activated it without any problems. So just changing a videocard and ram shouldn't be a problem.

Guest HaroldP

As a side note, I upgraded my 'integrated video card' (ugh!) by adding a video card and expanded (doubled) the memory with no requests to re-activate. It never blinked.Harold

I changed RAM once and my video card twice, and never had any problems with activation. Your mileage may vary, though. :-)

Odd how some people have to re-activate, and others don't...There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it."XP/FSX activation weights various hardware, and if you exceed a certain value, you WILL trigger activation." -- this is how it is explained to me, yet I see from the comments above, that it appears these weighted values are different for different people. Too bad we can't know more specifics about activation.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest CSFO1150

Dear All,Thanks very much for your above posts, these are useful for me to determine just upgrade some hardware or purchase a new computer for my FS 9/FSX at this moment. I'll try to upgrade now since the hardware for DX10 are so expensive, maybe at the end of this year is suitable time.Thanks again for all of you for your kind advice.Ning

"But, as reactivation problems are relatively few, I wouldn't let that stop me from changing the hardware."You should not let that stop you from upgrading. It's your right as a consumer and if it makes the game unusable, it's up to MS to get you up and running again.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

>"But, as reactivation problems are relatively few, I wouldn't>let that stop me from changing the hardware.">>You should not let that stop you from upgrading. It's your>right as a consumer and if it makes the game unusable, it's up>to MS to get you up and running again.Well said Jimmi.. very well said.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Hi Fellow Simmers:)Last week I mistakenly corrupted a driver in my Media Center, Vista Ultimage program.After approximately 2 1/2 Hrs. of repairing Vista via the Vista Disk, I received a message to reactive my FSX after I booted it up.No problem Activation went as advertised after I inserted my activation code.No complaints at this end.Kenny G.

Guest UlfB

Ning,I've upgraded both graphics card and memory - no reactivate needed.Ulf B

Guest Buck Bolduc

I had a problem with FSX, it was my problem, not FSX's. You see i typed in a wrong digit.Out side of that I installed a few other times with no prblems. I constantly tinker with hardware...so?On the other hand Vista-32 wanted to re-activate ofter installing 2 gig of memory. I ignored the request to re-activate, now I can't figure out how. I looked all over but cannot get into control panel. If I make a flight with FSX it stops shortly after take off, gives a warning to activate but wont let me, wont connect.I understand MS's piracy concerns but the hackers probably cracked it a few day's after release. When I first got the warning I clicked to re-activate and got a window, typed in the key code and got a mesage "Already in use". Then got a window with a phone number and spaces for a key code a mile long.Since I installed 4 gig's of memory I think I'll install Vist-64 and see what happens.I don't mind paying the $400.00 to be allowed to use Vista but MS sure makes it difficult, oh well, I was going to get MS Office but MS talked me out of it.Open office here I come.