Sign in to follow this  
FlyingsCool

Something odd? FILEMON

While I'd like to see less rooting around in FSX as FS9 is, the ultimate goal is more performance. I have no doubt you guys are obsessed with achieving it as we are. I agree with Adam that this single issue addressed in itself is no magic bullet for perf, but what it did for "me" was eliminate my stutters, and I got a couple of frames to boot.Also, thanks for being as open as you can with us. (Even though it usually ends up with you having to defend yourself later as it gets taken out of context) Throwing out observations and discussing them is usually how improvements to a product are made. (Without the fascist & conspiracy comments preferable) And thanks to your input of status, now a decided course of action can be made. The only thing I wish was us "FS junkies & tweakers" could be given more inside info, than say "joe public" that just buys this as a "game" like barbie hair designer, not as a platform for so much more. Maybe we could opt to be a "member" of FSinsider or something. Heck I'd rather have observer status in the Beta forums - than have box seats at a Yankee's game, so you get idea of interest in the product some of us have.For those that want to try this, I'll make someone a deal. I will make a detailed list of all the files (thus doing a reinstall) that get moved to be found on the first call as I did - providing someone can build an easy installer/uninstaller for it. This way others could try it, and come patch time or addon installs etc, you could easily return back to default so everything works. Then you just re-apply it again after. PM or email me if interested, as now that we know its not going to be in SP1, we can always give it a try.Regards'Garett

Guest wyoming

Which means that every add-on will have to be reinstalled (e.g. Mesh, LC) as well, right?

>For those that want to try this, I'll make someone a deal. I>will make a detailed list of all the files (thus doing a>reinstall) that get moved to be found on the first call as I>did - providing someone can build an easy>installer/uninstaller for it. This way others could try it,>and come patch time or addon installs etc, you could easily>return back to default so everything works. Then you just>re-apply it again after. PM or email me if interested, as now>that we know its not going to be in SP1, we can always give it>a try.>>Regards'>>GarettI think AFTER sp1 is out, I will look into this file moving thing.But for now I am going to mark time.Since I am going to have to reinstall FSX anyway, this might be as good a time as any to buy that 10,000 rpm hard drive for a dedicated FSX-only drive.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest JeanLuc_

Hi Phil and thank you for the update.Can we assume that just adding entries in the .CFG files won't break the update installer (like adding the FIBER_FRAME_xxxx = yyy ) ?Can we also assume that renamed autogen xml file needs to be renamed back and that the update installer will update it?Besides this, since it was mentioned in many blogs/posts that the update should not update any "massive" data set (infering not updating texture files and/or lots of landclass data), can we assume that renamed/resized texture files won't break the update installer?In fact, can you consider publishing the entire list of updated files at the same time you release the SP1 (or even before if possible), for everyone to plan ahead what has to be reinstalled from default installation or not?Jean-Luc

Add-ons and tweaks are different.Tweaks that change FSX RTM files need to be backed out, thats what I was talking to.Add-ons layer on top of our files, and should be ok.I would try the repair functionality in the installer before wiping but that might just be me.

"In fact, can you consider publishing the entire list of updated files at the same time you release the SP1 (or even before if possible), for everyone to plan ahead what has to be reinstalled from default installation or not?"Pretty please with a cherry on top ... ;) (on one knee when typed)Garett

I need to doublecheck we are not installing new config files, but I would back them up to be safe.Any FSX content file ( bgls, textures, xml, etc ) does need to be restored to be safe. The delta-patch installer looks at the files, if they are a known version we patch, if they arent then the installer fails to update that file. I just cant promise, given all the interactions, that the texture tweak will be good to go. It might, but until someone tries it we wont know.Files in the patch, no. I am working on getting clearance to disclose the bug fix list though. Which would help people understand what is likely to be affected.

Guest JeanLuc_

Thank you for the clarification."Files in the patch, no. I am working on getting clearance to disclose the bug fix list though"If there is any file outside the FSX folder, I understand you may want to "hide" some of these (like license related or such). However, with a dual installation (RTM and SP1), a diff-file between the two folders can be done and tell the files you have updated. Can you please just save a lot of headache to many of us in offering the list directly from you, and save installing an SP1 + doing a diff-file? This would be greatly appreciated and I don't think it would reveal anything sensible about what you are doing to the product files we should not know, or you wish to hide, since a diff-file will reveal it anyhow (but who am I to know you can answer). I even think a MSI installer can be decompiled as a standard feature of the MSI system, but if you can make us save time, we would be all very grateful!Jean-Luc

>I need to doublecheck we are not installing new config files,>but I would back them up to be safe.>>Any FSX content file ( bgls, textures, xml, etc ) does need to>be restored to be safe. The delta-patch installer looks at the>files, if they are a known version we patch, if they arent>then the installer fails to update that file. Does this require backing out the revised terrain.dll that MS released to correct the photo texture blend issue?scott s..

Phil,You know what would really help would be a tool that looks at your installation, and lets you know all the files that have been changed that need to be pristine. Then I can back up what I need to, reinstall those files that are going to be changed, and then run the patch.Or, better yet, the installation tool could check all the files, back up the files that are going to be modified by the patch for you, install the pristine versions, and then update the installation. It would be ok if the DVD(s) had to be in the disk drive before installation of the patch. Then I can go back and do a compare on the backed up files with their new counterparts to figure out what I need to do to restore my old installation changes.Either of the above solutions would be fine with me. I just want to know which files I need to back up. I haven't been exactly rigorous about recording which files I've changed. And I imagine that you are not necessarily replacing the whole installation.I think the main things I have changed have been modifying aircraft.cfg files and adding new textures to default aircraft (not including all the aircraft I've added). Are these going to be affected?Is it true that the system would be happier if I changed all my aircraft.cfg files to sim.cfg files?Thanks!Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)N15802 KASH '73 Piper Cherokee Challenger 180

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

Sorry, but I just cannot commit to the file level information.Its been hard enough to work on the "disclose the bug list".I dont know the impact of changing the cfg names.

>>Files in the patch, no. If you don't mind my asking, why not? Why can't a list of the files to be affected be disclosed?RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Your wording is incomplete to me. Are you saying you can't release the file list of what is being changed now, or that even when the patch is released, you can't release a list of files changed then?I guess, then, hopefully somebody in the community will do a diff of before and after.BTW, I hope it was clear that this is only information I need when I install the patch, I'm not asking for it today.And I also have to admit that I know nothing about how patches are put together or how they work, so I hope my request isn't offensive. I just assumed you have a method of keeping track of what files the patch is changing.Thank you for keeping us abreast of what is going on.Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)N15802 KASH '73 Piper Cherokee Challenger 180

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg