Sign in to follow this  
fppilot

Switch from MS Store to Steam -> purchased titles

Obvious that some members here have in frustration ditched their MS Store MSFS installation in favor of a fresh purchase and installation of MSFS from Steam.  Question of this topic is this.  Are previous purchases made from the Marketplace during the MS Store installation subsequently available without repurchase for the Steam installation?  For example:

Drzewiecki Design - Chicago and Washington Landmarks
Carenado Mooney M20R Ovation
Carenado Piper Seneca

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I doubt it

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

14 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

I doubt it

I would read the respective license agreements but tonight I looked to find them in my installations and could not find any evidence of them.  So can a license agreement related to such initial purchases only be examined at the point of purchase?  It is a really good question!  Is the license agreement user based?  Or is it installation based?  So OK.  Installation based.  I fully purged then reinstalled MSFS after SU5 and the subsequent HFs. So is installation based on an instance of installation?  Or is installation based on a system? 

I was successful with my current purchased addons.  So what happens if I transition to a Steam installation?  I am keenly interested in actual experiences on this issue.

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

All entitlement are respective to their platform. No share between MS store and Steam version

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

41 minutes ago, fogboundturtle said:

All entitlement are respective to their platform. No share between MS store and Steam version

Can you provide a source or link to verify? In all respect such a statement like that appears as an opinion and falls short until substantiated.  Not challenging, just saying.

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
ASUS 

Seems like a good reason to buy directly from the developer if possible that way you don’t need to worry about it if you go from the MS version to the Steam version or other way.

• Like 2

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

2 minutes ago, cmpbellsjc said:

Seems like a good reason to buy directly from the developer if possible that way you don’t need to worry about it if you go from the MS version to the Steam version or other way.

That is an absolute given!  Albeit not always available!  Caveat Emptor!

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
ASUS 

Addons you purchased from the Marketplace will not carry over between versions, and as far as I know you cannot request a transfer.

Edited by Tuskin38

1 hour ago, fppilot said:

Can you provide a source or link to verify? In all respect such a statement like that appears as an opinion and falls short until substantiated.  Not challenging, just saying.

Sorry you are sadly out of luck.  Pretty stupid really, but that is how MS are playing it.

https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360017706059-Microsoft-Flight-Simulator-FAQ

Q: Is there any differences between the Steam and Microsoft Store version?

A: There is no difference. The sim shares the same multiplayer world and services. However, content is tied to the platform you are playing on—if you purchase a DLC on Steam, you cannot transfer it to the Microsoft Store version and vice-versa.

NOTE:  While Microsoft themselves are being totally stupid some third part developers apparently are more reasonable and have even been known to issue a non-marketplace version at no cost to someone that can provide proof they have a genuine marketplace copy that no longer works for them.  They are not obliged to do this but sometimes asking nicely can get good outcomes.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick

This came directly from Jorg.

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

No they are not.  I've done this in reverse.  I left Steam to got to MS Store (worst thing I could have done).  I lost all purchases that I had made through the market place.  I did purchase a couple of add-ons through MarketPlace with MS Store and lost those when I recently went back to Steam.  So the answer is no.  If you buy in the marketplace then move to either Steam or MS Store you will lose what you purchased.

Jase

• Like 1

Jaseman. Lovin it up here........

Catch us over at MassieSim32 -> https://discord.gg/B4buuHGhcr

The MS attitude is that it is a bit like buying addons for a game on Xbox and expecting them to work when you switch to the Playstation version.

Personally I think that Steam and MS are not different platforms just different stores on the same platform and they really should attach the purchase to your gamer tag - but MS are not it interpreting it that way.

Anyone know what happens if you purchase from an Xbox login? Do the addons transfer back to MS? or steam? or both ? or neither? or do you have to choose ?

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick

That is an absolute given!  Albeit not always available!  Caveat Emptor!

I figured anything that was not put out by Asobo/MS would be available from the devs directly or a 3rd party publisher aside from the MS Market. I didn’t know some devs only put their work on the MS store. Good to know.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

12 minutes ago, cmpbellsjc said:

I figured anything that was not put out by Asobo/MS would be available from the devs directly or a 3rd party publisher aside from the MS Market. I didn’t know some devs only put their work on the MS store. Good to know.

I am not aware of any devs that are marketplace exclusive other than the obvious two Carenado and Asobo - but may be wrong.