Sign in to follow this  
Guest ditopilot

That's Not Correct --TOO SLOW!

Guest ditopilot

Hello friends,Helicopters either the default ones and others like in the first pix below they just FLY TOO SLOW in the Outside View. :no: So I wonder if there's a way (in the aircraft cfg perhaps) to correct that and make it a bit more realistic speedwise (at least like the one in the third pix). ANY ONE KNOWS?http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s133/di...23-1-41-296.jpghttp://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s133/di...2-23-14-734.jpghttp://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s133/di...6-11-33-593.jpgI appreciate your inputs.dito

For questions on helicopters - I'd recommend you check www.hovercontrol.comThey are the experts on FS helicopters.

Well actually helos in FSX aren't really that far off regarding speed, if at all. The Bell 206 jetranger for instance has a top speed of about 120 knots, pretty much right on the money in the sim. Drag aside, all helicopters are ultimately limited in their top speed by a phenomenon known as retreating blade stall. The short version is that if a helicopter flies beyond a certain speed the blade that is rotating past the nose and beginning to head towards the tail can actually find itself flying at zero velocity relative to the oncoming air, or even backwards through it, resulting in an enormous lift imbalance between the two sides of the rotor disc. The end result is pretty much like a spin in a normal aircraft, except much more violent and for all intents and purposes unrecoverable, more than likely leading to blade or rotor hub stress failures.Some military helicopters have a somewhat higher top speed than the average civilian one, ie: AH64 Apache/longbow and MD-500, because they trade some fuel economy for a significantly higher rotor rpm, offsetting the onset of retreating blade stall.However, if you're not satisfied you can tweak the parasite and induced drag scalars in the aircraft.cfg file to your heart's content. Aside from translational lift FS doesn't really model any of the unique quirks of rotor discs very well. :)Cheers.

Mike Johnson - Lotus Simulations

I think the OP meant the pan rate while in external view. ??Not top speed of the helos... ??RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

>I think the OP meant the pan rate while in external view. >??>Not top speed of the helos... ??>Hmm, I thought he meant speed as well. If not, can't you alter the exterior/spot pan rate in the view tab?Regards, MichaelKDFWNot anti FS9, just pro FSX!

Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe nForce4 SLI-x16 / AMD

Best, Michael

KDFW

>I think the OP meant the pan rate while in external view. >??>Not top speed of the helos... ??Nope. He indeed meant the visible apparent "speed" of the helo across the scenery.It's a classic error induced by spatial orientation and perspective, not at all unlike the very FIRST comment folks make when I show them my basement HO empire:"Can't those trains go any faster?""Say what? They are moving at 60 (scale) MPH! :)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest Stoopy

Well that's what I thought was meant, but I'm still stumped. The heli in the third picture isn't going any faster than the other two. Least not visibly so. I stayed up all night staring at these pix to catch some kind of movement - anything - and according to the measurement's I've taken over the last 10 hours, they're all right at (or VERY close to) exactly ZERO knots airspeed. Around 04:30 the one in the second pic did finally start to move but didn't get very far, and now seems to be back where it was at the beginning.If someone can take over the next shift and keep an eye on 'em, we'll get this figured out I bet ya. Might need a round-the-clock effort though.

:-xxrotflmaoJean-PaulAsus P5W DH Deluxe - Core 2 Duo E6600@3Ghz - Leadtek 7950 GT TDH 512 - 4 x 1GB Kingmax DDR2 667 CL5 RAM - 2 x 250GB Hitachi T7K250 SATA2 AHCI - Creative Audigy 2 Value - Antec Sonata 2 Case - 450W Antec SmartPower 2.0 PSU - Samsung SyncMaster 204B 20" - Windows XP Pro SP2 - TrackIR 4 Pro

KInd regards

Jean-Paul

I7 8700K / Fractal Design Celsius S24 watercooling / ASRock Z370 Extreme4 motherboard / Corsair 32GB 3200mhz DDR4 / INNO3D iChiLL GeForce GTX 1080 Ti X3 / Samsung SSD 960 EVO M.2 PCIe NVMe 500GB / Seasonic-SSR-850FX power supply / Fractal Design Define R5 Black case / AOC Q3279VWF 32″ 2560x1440 monitor / Benq GL2450 24″ 1920x1080 monitor / Track-IR 4

Guest ditopilot

Wow, you are a very knowledgeable person. Thanks.

Guest ditopilot

>I think the OP meant the pan rate while in external view. >??>Not top speed of the helos... ??>>RhettNo; Bill Leaming said it right!dito

Guest ditopilot

>>I think the OP meant the pan rate while in external view. >>??>>Not top speed of the helos... ??>>Nope. He indeed meant the visible apparent "speed" of the helo>across the scenery.>>It's a classic error induced by spatial orientation and>perspective, not at all unlike the very FIRST comment>folks make when I show them my basement HO empire:>>"Can't those trains go any faster?">>"Say what? They are moving at 60 (scale) MPH! :)Bill Leaming,That's EXACTLY what I meant:the visible apparent "speed" of the helo>across the scenery!dito

Guest ditopilot

>Well that's what I thought was meant, but I'm still stumped. >The heli in the third picture isn't going any faster than the>other two. Least not visibly so. >>I stayed up all night staring at these pix to catch some kind>of movement - anything - and according to the measurement's>I've taken over the last 10 hours, they're all right at (or>VERY close to) exactly ZERO knots airspeed. Around 04:30 the>one in the second pic did finally start to move but didn't get>very far, and now seems to be back where it was at the>beginning.>>If someone can take over the next shift and keep an eye on>'em, we'll get this figured out I bet ya. Might need a>round-the-clock effort though.>>Thank you for your remarks!! Thank you for making me laugh a lot!I know, a video clip would have done a better demonstation job.dito

>That's EXACTLY what I meant:the visible apparent "speed" of>the helo>>across the scenery!OK, in that case it is simply a matter of both zoom level and perspective.The further out you are zoomed, the slower the helo will appear to "move" with relationship to the ground.Likewise, the higher the helo is above the ground, the "slower" it will appear to move with relationship to the ground.In fact, you don't even need the sim to observe this effect. Next time you're in a car, notice how "slowly" objects far away seem to "move" in relationship to the car's speed......then notice how FAST closer objects are moving! ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest ditopilot

>>That's EXACTLY what I meant:the visible apparent "speed" of>>the helo>>>across the scenery!>>OK, in that case it is simply a matter of both zoom level and>perspective.>>The further out you are zoomed, the slower the helo will>appear to "move" with relationship to the ground.>>Likewise, the higher the helo is above the ground, the>"slower" it will appear to move with relationship to the>ground.>>In fact, you don't even need the sim to observe this effect. >Next time you're in a car, notice how "slowly" objects far>away seem to "move" in relationship to the car's speed...>>...then notice how FAST closer objects are moving! ;)>OK and thank you!