Sign in to follow this  
Virgin_A340

ORBX Library move

I am fast running out of space on my 1TB SSD drive which I have P3Dv5 installed on (not C drive) and want to move ORBX library. I have read up on how to do it which seems straight forward. 

My main question is will I get a performance hit if I move the library to a slower old HDD? I'm not sure how the files are used during P3D operation. 

Andy 

Virgin_A340. I was forced to do the same thing due to lack of space on my primary SSD mostly caused by ORBX bloat as I call it. I moved it all to a built in large 3TB HDD. Using the ORBX installer APP I chose to do a clean a reinstall of most of the ORBX stuff but just giving it the new library path it went smoothly, then let it the ORBX synch function tidy up the layering and scenery config order. Apart from the odd addon I keep all my scenery on separate directories on this drive (Probably close to 1TB of various scenery) and I might add I have about 600 plus entries now in my scenery config. 

Now do I get a performance hit with P3D? - NO I have not noticed it at all. Now and then I may get a micro stutter during a transistion from airport to general area scenery but that is it. This set up runs smoothly and seamlessly using EA and True Sky and AS for weather dense scenery or sparse it all runs smoothly. 

1 hour ago, Virgin_A340 said:

I am fast running out of space on my 1TB SSD drive which I have P3Dv5 installed on (not C drive) and want to move ORBX library. I have read up on how to do it which seems straight forward. 

My main question is will I get a performance hit if I move the library to a slower old HDD? I'm not sure how the files are used during P3D operation. 

Andy 

AFAIK from other threads, there should be no performance penalty. But you have to expect much longer loading times when you start a flight in ORBX land.

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

Thanks both of you for the replies. 

I'm fine with long loading time as long as it's smooth once actually up and flying.

I guess it's just a shame larger capacity SDDs are still very expensive!!

Andy

You could potentially just add a 500gb drive to save cost for now and leave everything else on your current drive then just move ORBX only stuff to your new drive. Very easy to add and configure. Like others have said non-ssd drives will have a slower loading time.

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

I use a couple of raided 1 TB SSD's and a 1 TB NMVe drive

Raid is just striped for capacity and speed (no redundancy), but backed up up reguarly, been fine for years now.

I also moved the actual OrbxLibs themselves into a RAM disk.

I've got 32 GB of fast ram that is rarely ever used fully and it only takes a few GB of that ram for the OrbxLibs to live in a very fast ram disk.

Cheers

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

Rogen -- what RAM Disk software do you use?

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

On 9/25/2021 at 8:57 AM, pgde said:

what RAM Disk software do you use?

The software I chose was the SoftPerfect RamDisk.

I've been using their older free version for some time, then updated for the latest features (no more free versions).

https://www.softperfect.com/

Cheers

• Upvote 1

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D